Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 21st, 2004, 01:15 PM

Question Working for $$$ or passion?

Hello Everybody,

I wanted to thank everybody for their responses to my last thread about adopting a dog which unfortunately did not go through since my mother became ill. (She's going to be ok but a dog was too much for her right now) However, I'm now facing a new issue which I'd like some advice on!

I'm a recent Finance graduate and I've worked in the field for about 2 and 1/2 years only to discover I don't really like it. I quit my last job in May and I've been looking for a another company to work for. Every job I've been offered has to do with high pressure sales of financial products and I HATE forcing people to buy things they don't necessarily want or need! So I'm finding myself in a bad situation. I love to help people but I hate selling things. And well obviously I love pets too! So I don't know what to do. Do I forget about the field and try something else? Is there any combo jobs of finance and pets? I don't know but I find it hard to do a job for the sake of having a job and want an employment thats fulfilling. Is this possible or am I dreaming in technicolor? Any ideas/comments would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks again!!

Joelle
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:02 PM
Senior Contributor

dont look at it as finance, look at all the skills under that title you have, im sure you have comp skills, business skills etc. sit down and write a list of all your skills and then another of all your desires, sit down and look at them and see what you can work with. it may also pay to go and see a employment councilor (whatever you call them there). dont lock yourself into finance box, that is just the title of your degree im sure you have lots more skills you have picked up that could be applicable to what you want to do. and look at all the ppl out there with really cool jobs, im sure they have degrees in stuff that may not seem relevant to their jobs but the skills are, look at it from all different angles.
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:13 PM

Ahhhh.. Joelle....you sound like me! I had a great job, great pay, but I hated every minute of it. Now I work as a dog walker and I make a lot less than before, but I LOVE my job. Maybe you could look into opening a business of your own? The lady I work for started this business 3 years ago and built it from the ground up. She now has over 100 clients, and 2 employees! (Obviously we don't walk 100+ dogs a day, some are just pet sitting, or occasional dog walks, etc.) It might be a thought. My advise is to do what you love. You should see my thread for some advise from others, it's also in the off-topic forum, titled "I need advise...." Good luck!
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:14 PM

Hmmmm That's a thinker! well. I know how you feel, I've been doing the same thing for over 26 years, i'm licensed and have many degrees behind me but dissatisfied with my JOB!.. I'm now going through correspondence school and taking a field completely different than what I know. But if you love animals and want to make money... there are so many things you can do, Vet ?? K9 Trainer??? or even a K9 Officer... I feel ya when you talk of stress, I have a very stressful and somewhat borderline dangerous job dealing with very angy customers all day long... you grow numb to the threats and accusations but you don't want to grow stale!! Always leave your options opened.. take a course. An education is NEVER a waste, unless you get a degree and sit at a street corner day afer day beggin for food ,
Good luck and keep us posted !
Old September 21st, 2004, 11:37 PM
~Cat Servent~

Keeping books for a shelter or HS? I don't think that kind of job would be volunteer...
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:00 AM

Smile Thanks!!

Hey Everyone!

Thanks for all the replies! I think Dog Walking is really cool sounding as for K-9 trainer, I think I'm too much of a push over (all our animals end up being incredibly emotionally dependent! Even my horse!!!)

Pami (a.k.a. Heeler's Rock),

I just have some questions for you out of curosity! I think you're 23 right? That means we're the same age! Did you do a business degree before dog walking? Also do you have any ideas of how I could start the dog walking business in Montreal?

Thanks a million guys!!!

Joelle
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:34 PM

Hey Joelle! I didn't start this business, and the lady I work for used to be in the insurance industry. You sound really intellegent and I'm sure you would do fine without a degree.

First thing is to come up with a name. Something catchy, but cute. My side dog boarding business is called "The Doggie's Den!".

Next, invest some cash into brochures, flyers, business cards, and a website. I did my own brochures, flyers and business cards and I did my website through yahoo sitebuilder which was SOOOOOO easy!!

Most important thing is to become bonded and insured. Go to www.vergeinsurance.com and look at their pet sitters insurance. It helps to make clients feel at ease with you being in their homes and with their dogs.

Go to a dog park in your area and take some flyers to hand out. It'll help too if you have something like treat bags for the dogs. Just little ones you can make yourself with your company name and such to give to the owners for their dogs!

Look into your city's laws regarding home businesses and licensing. It doesn't cost much here, but it may there. Then just look into G.S.T. registration, and your set!!! Hope that helps you out and if you need anything else answered, let me know!!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 04:35 PM

Oh, by the way, I am 23! (Forgot to answer that!)
Old September 22nd, 2004, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I used to have a job that I hated to go to everyday. I woke up one morning and decided that I was 40 and not going to be unhappy in my job for the rest of my life. I went to work gave them 3 weeks notice and proceeded to go into a career totally different from what I was doing. I started working as a P.A. (production assistant) in the film business my pay was almost half of what I was making. This is the lowest job in film but I had no experience and what did I have to loose. The job is long hours and I learned so much in the first couple of months. Four years later I am loving my job I have worked my way up and make decent money. I love my job long hour and all. When I finish a film or t.v show I can take holidays my schedule is my own to decide when I want to work or not. If I take a show I work long and hard and then we wrap and I take a week or so off to spend with my Buddy and chill out. Plus it is the one industry where my dog can sometimes come to work with me. We are not here long enough to be miserable in our jobs since we spend so much time there. Take a chance and find something that truly makes you happy
Old September 22nd, 2004, 10:17 PM
Chocolate

WOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOO!!!

I'm soo happy there's people out there that enjoy/LOOVVVVVE their jobs!!

I adore mine, it may sound pathetic but it's true. LOL.

stick with the passion, MONEY can't buy you love.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:54 AM

Smile Hey Again!

WOW!

I have to admit I was a little weary of chats on the net! (This is the first site I've ever chatted on) But you guys are GREAT!

Pami- I've looked into the insurance, it looks very reasonable! For the moment I'm going to see if I can help out with Animatch or another rescue in my area! (Unfortunately I can't foster b/c of my mother's condition but I'll help out with everything else!) I want to gain more experience with diff'n kinds of pooches and draw up my business plan.

Mastifflover and wAggie- I'm really glad you guys love your jobs! Its nice to know that other people take the plunge and pay cut to do what they love! I'll be taking one too BUT hey its worth it!

FYI!!! Just so you all know there is an AMAZING company out there that is EXTREMELY pet friendly...its called Soft Choice...they're a software re-seller, you can bring you dog to the office!!! Headoffice is in T.O. I'd work there but my computer knowledge is neglible!

Joelle
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:00 AM
Chocolate

AWWW

hahaha, I wonder if they'd all me to bring BOTH dogs if i'd "work" there

my hours'd probably be 12+ per day in order to actually complete the work of an 8hr shift!!

(no lunch of course!!)

Joelle, remember:

there's VERY little stress that u bring into the house from a job u truly love. I had another job and omg, when i got home, EVERYDAY, every other thought was "I hate so-and-so" (the company)

used to run me up the wall!!! any remote association to my place of work would bring me to a grumpier state of mind (like, "WHY haven't I left yet... WHY? omg......etc, etc")

Change is good!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:13 AM

working for passion

new to this and have read with intrest your discussion ai am currently researching working with animals too trying to find courses on becoming a dog trainer or maybe setting up a dog dare care and walking buisness as mentioned some great ideas guys!!

I have only recently immigrated to Canada from England and next year we are purchsing a house were i can run a buisness whatever it may be from so your information has been invaluble i live in Cambridge ON
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:25 AM

Lol

Waggie!

Tell me about it!!!! I was actually starting to have nervous break-downs in the office. I'm sensitive so you can imagine working in a call center for group RRSP after the tech crash (remember that 2000!) It was HELL, angry people yelling at me like I made their funds go down! :S Some people yet as far as acusing us of stealing from them! Ugh!

Jackieb-That's great! I'm glad we could help you out some! Listen if you're in Cambridge and I'm in Montreal...We can always collaborate on ideas and a business plan! I doubt we'll be in competition over so many miles! Let me know!

Cheers!

Joelle
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:32 AM

Red face not sur how far it is (lol)

Ive only lived in canada for 4 weeks now so not sure how far away you are lol!! But any help would be much appreciated i have 3 children and want a business i can run from home, done the office route prior to children and do not want to go back!!!

thanks again sure i wont be too much competion especially as i have 3 children to contend with too!!!!
Old September 23rd, 2004, 09:36 AM
Chocolate

congrats, Joelle!

now that u know what a horrible job is all about, NEVER Forget it!!

and ALWAYS follow ur heart.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 02:00 PM

Heelers Rock

Out of intrest did the lady you work for have any qualification in dog care animal care etc??? As been considering courses

thanks
Old September 23rd, 2004, 05:48 PM

Not that I know of. She didn't even own a dog when she started! She grew up on a farm though so it helped. She now owns a doberman and can join the dog owner's group!! The only course she inveted in were pet first aid through Oakland Educational Services. You just have to be sure the dogs you walk are in some form of obedience classes or have graduated. Most dogs that don't know you will push you around at first, just be consistant and stick to their training methods. Dog boarding is a whole different ball game. You are then the primary care giver 24 hours a day! You then should look into maybe some grooming, but not too extensive unless you want to be a groomer, and do some research into nutrition to pass on to your clients.
Old September 24th, 2004, 05:34 AM

Smile thanks

thanks for the advice i have plenty of time to llook into it thanks will do that.