Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 21st, 2004, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

My apt!!! Do you think to small???

Ok ,i really want another gsd,girls at work say i should wait my place is to small,what is your vote???? The dog would be very much loved,just miss having a dog.....Cast your vote,dont be mean though...........
Attached Images

Old September 21st, 2004, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

If I remember correctly, the problem the last time wasn't the size of your apartment. It was the amount of time you were away from home, the amount of time you were willing to spend on training and something about an abuse boyfriend (although I think I missed part of that, so I am not sure about that whole part of the problem).

These are the issues which need to be addressed, not the size of your apartment.
Old September 21st, 2004, 11:31 AM
Senior Contributor

No there was no issue on the amount of TIME i was willing to train and i did not have an abusive boyfriend,i am not going through all that again,that wasnt what i asked and i do not feel like re hashing all that stuff...
Old September 21st, 2004, 11:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I am not trying to rehash old bs. I know you miss having a dog. I just want you to be honest to yourself about whether you are in a position to offer another dog the proper amount of time and attention that it deserves.
Old September 21st, 2004, 11:37 AM

Just a couple of thoughts from across the pond...... If that is the whole of your abode,And I do have a GSD Well ..... I think I would wait.I say this because although mine spends most of her time around the family she does like some quiet time also we have a garden to which she can also escape not huge but enough for her to trott around in. We dont live in A castle but it has a lounge seperate dining room and a fair sized kitchen utility area also where her bed is for her to retire to for peace if she wants.
Old September 21st, 2004, 11:47 AM

One thing I find that is important to me is a yard. Do you have a yard?
Old September 21st, 2004, 11:47 AM
Senior Contributor

In an ideal world i would have all the time in the world,i will always have to work 8 hours a day,unless i meet the rich man of my dreams which i am not counting on,i guess i am a having a moment of weakness right now and do miss having a dog,i dont know
Old September 21st, 2004, 11:55 AM
Senior Contributor

If I gave into every moment of weakness and rescued every dog that touched my heart, my house would be full of four leggeds and my man would be history! LOL!

Before you decide whether or not to get another dog, find 2 things. And I don't mean the first 2 in the phone book.

1. Find a good vet.

2. Find a good trainer.

And make sure you can afford both. If memory serves, you are in your early twenties and really don't have much experience with big dogs. A good trainer will help you get off on the right foot and teach you so much about your dog. You and your dog will learn to work as a team and you won't have a lot of the problems you had with Damien.

Don't take this the wrong way. I am not trying to make you feel bad or put you down. But if you do decide that you want to get another dog, you need to make sure that you are set up to succeed this time. A good vet and a good trainer are invaluable for the novice dog owner.
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

A good vet i had,that is not a problem,trainer a few guys never knew i had a gsd and one of my customers said he wish he would of known because for the last 20 years he has worked with gsd doing everything,wish i would of known that also...He said he would of helped me with him..I guess my issue is the backyard and no i would not get a puppy again i do not have that kind of time like i did before i would get one fron a rescue that is older...
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Be very careful with trainers. I know of a guy who thinks he is a wonderful trainer and has been doing it professionally for many years. His idea of training is to put a shock collar on a dog and shock it until it is a quivering mass on the floor.

You need to go and see different trainers train dogs. Look for a trainer that uses positive motivation and is not stuck on one method for all dogs. You want a trainer that knows dog language. Avoid trainers that recommend shock collars for untrained dogs and alpha rolls. You will know the right trainer when you see one.

I don't think that a Schutzhund trainer is what you need. Dogs that do well in that venue are very driven and high energy. Not what you need right now. And some Sch. trainers can be abusive. If you don't know what your getting into, you could get into one heck of a mess.
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:17 PM
banned user

Why not try fostering a dog from a local rescue first. This
way you would be able to help a GSD that needs a you and at the same time put things into perspective. It will
allow you to realise your limitations and yet give a dog the
stepping stone it needs to find a new home.
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:23 PM

Heidi, a full grown shepherd ranges from 8 to 10 feet (nose to tip of tail)...do you have enough space...they are active dogs too, do you have a large enough yard to let him run freely? There's nothing like watching them run.
A dog is an endearing confidant who always listens and gives the best advise - which is to give no advise at all. A dog is one of the few constants a person can count on in an unpredictable, ever-changing world. Debanneball
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I know they get big,i was think of fostering...When i did have him we did go to parks and i took him everywhere.....Ok i am gonna sit on this for awhile longer.........
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:47 PM

i think i missed something here...you had a dog but got rid of it and now you want another? Is that right?
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:51 PM
Senior Contributor

It is a long story i am not getting into,just forget this post.......No i just DIDNT DUMP MY DOG BY THE WAY,not all matches are meant to be with people or people and pets......Thanks for the replys..
Old September 21st, 2004, 12:56 PM

I see...just wasn't sure if I understood that's all. i can understand not all dogs are meant for every person...if it doesn't work it doesn't work....we have been looking for a dog/puppy but i am taking my time i really want one that is the one....you know what i mean? no judgment here...just didnt understand your situation.
Old September 21st, 2004, 01:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I dont think there is any judgement,and i will make sure when i get one that i just dont get it because it is cute,like i did the first time...........
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:26 PM
Crusader

Thumbs up

Heidi you know you'll always Have MY Vote! .. you've done so well in the past with much worst.. remember sleeping on the floor? if you could of made that work i think you can make This work! you've always been a sweet loving pet owner!
so go for it
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

To funny i sure do,i think i slept on the floor for about two months,thanks for the compliment, i do give myself that any dog that i get will be very very spoiled and taken care of.........................
Old September 21st, 2004, 04:29 PM
Senior Contributor

P.S. I did finally take the crate down,took awhile couldnt take it down but finally did...........
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:20 PM
Senior Contributor

oh no we are back here again, ok heidi i thought we had established you were not ready for GSD in your life yet?

]for the rest of you new guys go back and read about damien, it wasnt the nicest situation and could have been avoided, and you can avoid that situation again heidi, so dont assume i am being mean or anything, i am jsut so worried by this suggestion .i really like heidi, we have some good chats and have a laugh, so what i am about to say read it in that context.

have you done any of the things we suggested, like working at a rescue even for one day so you can see what really happens when ppl decide they want a dog and get rid of it, do you want a dog because you think you have a wonderful life and home and can offer it everything it needs esp adequate training?? or do you want a dog just becuase you want one?? since damo have you read any books on training or dog psychology?? have you gotten into the whole training thing??

and why such a big dog, personally i think it is cruel to keep a big dog in an apt, and in its little crate as well. i know friends with a big dog in an apt and i think it is horrid even though he is well cared for, excersised and loved, he does not have space, i would never do that to my GSD, she needs space, she needs to be able to hang outside when she wants, dogs are natural animals and do you really think an apartment with no yard is a very natural setting, do you really think any big dog would wnat to do it? i really doubt it..

if you really care about GSD's and love them as you say, you would wait till you have a bigger place, yard and your situation is better. i have sacrificed so much in my life to ensure my dog has a yard, that is the sort of commitment needed to have a big dog like this.

why cant you have a small/med dog, you could get a GSD later on in life and have the two of them?

please heidi, i am near begging here, heidi you know the right thing to do, and you did it with damien, i think you are just fooling yourself, if you really are the kind lady i think you are you wont do it. and will find another option. please do the right thing heidi, i dont want to see you or another dog in an unhappy situation.
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

No comment//
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:29 PM

Heidiho

I have a GSD as you know, and i've read many books on them,as long as you are committed to give them daily exercise, they can live in an apartment you have to be committed,or else they will use your furnishings as their chew toys oh and let's not forget da LOVE... I've never seen such a baby as my GSD, he loves to be loved. That's so important too...
So lots of exercise and bunches of LOVE....

Good luck 2ya.
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Terrie i have read that to and thanks for the words of support..