Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Pet photography > Pet photography - Pet pictures

Old February 14th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick, it sounds like you have done the right thing by both the girls and yourselves. Living with stress like that wouldn't be good for them or you. You took the time to find Marcie a good home, and she'll be happy with a job to do there. Ruby looks delightful of course, and I'm sure Carol is right, she's realizing now how free she really is. Bless you all.
Old February 14th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor
Space Invaders Champion, Smack the Rabbit Champion

How lucky both girls are to have met you and your wife.

When we took in Kobe and Keesha I was worried that Keesha and Bree would not get along. We were lucky, Keesha gets Bree to play (something she has never done before)

I am sure Marcie is in a good home and Ruby is so lucky to be with you and your wife.

Owned by

Bree 11 year old GSD
Keesha 6 year old GSD
Cyrus 7 year old GSD

RIP: All my angels.
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick,I spent quiet a while yesterday looking and reading through your Golden Tales,I admit,I was crying...your pictures are just so beautiful with Abby and Keeper in them.

Then I looked at Ruby and Marcie's pics again and although I am very sorry it did not work out,I know you made the best choice for Marcie,Ruby and yourselves..

After how Ruby lived,she must think she is in absolute paradize,with 2 angels looking after her,now if only that scary Polly would not be around,she would be even happier.
Old February 14th, 2011, 04:24 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Oh, Rick I am so sorry it didn't work out, but I think you did what was best for everybody in the house. I am so glad to hear that Marcie will still have her running space.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 20th, 2011, 07:47 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Sorry it didn't work out with Marcie, Rick Those types of decisions are never easy to make, but it sounds like you came up with a good home for her! And Ruby is absolutely blooming! (Not to mention a very lucky girl! )

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 21st, 2011, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Bad luck, Rick, for Marcie and yourselves, but I know all about female cattle dogs that can't get on together and think you've taken the best path. I chose to keep my pair and spent years worrying about them getting together. Too stressful by far! You had no choice with things escalating so fast, plus you want a pair that are friends. Fingers crossed that the right girl comes along.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:22 PM
Senior Contributor

FYI . . . . as a follow-up, we've heard through the grapevine that Marcie has settled in very nicely to her new home on the ranch near Calgary and is apparently very happy.

This is good news for us as well.

I've had Ruby to the Okotoks dog park a few times now as well as out on trails and she mixes and plays with other dogs easily and likes stranger humans a lot as well. In other words, perfectly normal.

We'll probably never be quite sure why these two, Ruby and Marcie, couldn't mesh but splitting them and finding a good home for Marcie, where she is happy, seems to have been the best possible outcome.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Rick I'm sorry to hear about Marcie not liking Ruby. I know it was a hard decision to have to make.

Ruby is a beautiful girl and her coat looks shinier already!

Maybe u could adopt a pup later to be Ruby's buddy? So the pup would be coming into Ruby's territory and would learn it's place before it was the same size as Ruby? If that is how dogs work things out that is? I'm no expert.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old February 23rd, 2011, 11:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Rick I'm sorry to hear about Marcie not liking Ruby. I know it was a hard decision to have to make.

Ruby is a beautiful girl and her coat looks shinier already!

Maybe u could adopt a pup later to be Ruby's buddy? So the pup would be coming into Ruby's territory and would learn it's place before it was the same size as Ruby? If that is how dogs work things out that is? I'm no expert.
We will indeed, very likely, be looking for another Golden in the summer or Fall. We'll give it some time and more careful thought next time.

I wouldn't say Marcie didn't like Ruby but more like she was obsessed with her . . . . . and tried to throw herself through the glass of a window to get at Ruby, as one example. For some reason, Marcie was very anxious about Ruby and it was about dominance, more so than a normal integration by far. Tough call but we felt it was a decision that had to be made and secondly, we are happy for Marcie that it has worked out for her as well.

As stated, when we had Marcie alone, she was a delight. And Ruby is also a delight. Some things you just can't figure out.

All's well that ends well.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old February 24th, 2011, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Rick, I'm sorry things didn't work out between the girls. Sometimes, just as in people, there are animals that just plain don't get along no matter how hard you try or how pleasant you try to make their world.

I'm very happy you were able to find a wonderful home for Marcie. I'm not too familiar with Ruby's story, but I suspect it was easier to place Marcie, since she was the breeder and possibly had more sources on finding the perfect home for her.

I wish you much luck finding Ruby a new playmate and partner in crime!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/