Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old January 6th, 2011, 07:13 PM

Housetraining in January

Next time I get a puppy I will wait until the summer!!

How do you get a little 8wk puppy to want to go outside to potty when it's -20??!!

They are in an enclosed area at all times, unless they have just been emptied, in that case they are allowed to roam a bit about the house but only supervised roaming.

When I am home, I take them outside at least every hour when they are awake, after playing, after sleeping, if they start circling etc. They receive nice smelly treats after pottying outside and are pretty good about peeing out there. As a matter of fact I think the little boy is scamming me already because I doubt he has THAT much urine in him but if he makes the peeing effort I will reward that. The girl is another matter. We will keep her outside as long as possible, then she will come in and pee. She will pee outside maybe 60% of the time.

I think we are making some progress on the peeing front. The biggest problem is being able to keep them outside long enough for them to poop. They usually have to go through the whole poopdance routine and seem to be too cold to comfortably go.

I should say these are not husky puppies they are JR/Mini Dachshunds so not lots of fur to keep them warm while outside.

Any ideas? Words of encouragement?
Old January 6th, 2011, 07:17 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

Hi Violagirl,,i too am doing the housebreaking routine once again, but my little one is a Great Pyr so he loves the cold..i might suggest getting your little ones used to jackets or sweaters now. And of course patience, patience and more patience.
Old January 6th, 2011, 08:49 PM

They do have little sweaters but in the rush out the door what with putting on boots, coat, getting treats, trying to open/close door with elbows while keeping other dog and cats back - sweaters are far from my mind.

I know theoretically what I need to do but in practice with the snow and cold it is hard. Sometimes I will give up and just put the peepad down for them to use. I feel like a bad mother! And I also feel bad making them stay outside trying to pee when they are shivering and trying to run back to the house.
Old January 9th, 2011, 12:14 AM
Live well, laugh often

and that is one of the reasons I am gonna wait until spring or summer before I consider a puppy . We don't have super cold but we have rain and mud which is just as bad.

If your puppies are small breed then you might want to consider using an indoor sod area or one just outside your main door. If you use real grass then it will make an easier transition to outside as the surfaces will be familiar.
Old January 13th, 2011, 03:54 PM

Pee pads or not pee pads

I'm just curious Viola girl, what makes you a bad mommoy if you use pee pads?? Just wonderin.... I use pee pads for the time being. I have them by the door and will gradually introduce them out on the deck. Right now Buddy is too little to navagate our stairs outside so we have to take care. I just think that it's reinforcing the idea to go in one spot and the outdoors will follow. I agree tho, it's much easier to adopt in the summer....
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:23 PM

I'm just trying not to confuse the puppies. I feel bad sometimes for taking the easy route (peepads) when I SHOULD take them outside every 30 min. It should get easier when they are bigger and can navigate to the door and across the deck to the "pee spot". At the moment they are in a pen so can't go to the door to indicate they need to go out and I have to carry two wiggly puppies all the way to the spot.

I wonder if I could attach a bell to their pen and teach them to ring it so I'd know they need to go. At the moment I can't tell when they are in there and barking/whining if they just want attention or they have to pee. I generally take them out just to make sure.
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:50 PM

Going outside with them

This may not be a popular suggestion as it really is freezing out there but are you going outside with them already or are they going out on their own and getting rewarded as they are coming in? If you are going out with them already I applaud you, if not they may be getting a bit confused because a reward needs to be given within seconds of an action for them to understand the connection. If they are getting it at the door they might actually think they are being rewarded for coming in, no longer associating the food with urination.
Old January 13th, 2011, 08:52 PM

Another suggestion is to shovel an area for them so they are not trying to go pee in deep snow.
Old January 14th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I always found the best time to train pups is in the winter or late fall, because just like human babies, the minute the cold "hits" they automatically pee. as was said, shovel a spot near the door to make it her/his spot and keep a receiving blanket close to where you go out so you can wrap baby up the minute they do their business.
Old January 14th, 2011, 08:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Our boy was a winter puppy and it was no problem at all. I really think the cold, and we had several -30 and -35 nights, encouraged him to get the business over with quicker. He's a Lab though, perhaps more hardy, and he LOVED the snow. We had mega snowfall the year he was little and we HAD to snowblow paths for him. Mind you, he did not use the paths to pee or poop on but rather to access fresh snow. He kept his paths clean.

On the use of sod or pee pads, why could you not put them outside? If it is a concern. I guess the sod would freeze but so would the pads and you'd have to keep using fresh ones but you could do that.
Old January 15th, 2011, 09:54 PM

Some good suggestions!

We have a spot shovelled for them. We've been getting a lot of snow so the spot now has walls about 4 feet high! We were thinking it would at least help block the wind AND if I stand in the entrance to our "Peegloo" cold puppies can't escape back to the door without doing their business.
I carry treats out with me so they get a "yes" as soon as they do what they are supposed to and a treat as soon as they are done. You have to time it right because if you say yes too soon..they come for a treat before finishing. They are pretty smart! That way they get 2 treats per pee! And I am suspicious that now they pretend to pee just to get a treat!
When I take them out at 4am..they are in a hurry to get back to bed so they are quick about their business then.
I have thought about putting the peepads outside but they seem to know what I expect them to do out there.
Probably the biggest problem is knowing WHEN they need to go. Sometimes they give you no warning. I try to keep an eye on them at all times but it seems as soon as I turn my back - someone is doing something. It can be difficult to keep tabs on the bathroom needs of 2 little puppies and another dog.