Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old January 4th, 2015, 07:05 PM

Will I ever get my cat back? Toronto Humane Society

Hi,

I have no idea where else to go and magically found this forum using google search.

I have had a cat for the last 5 months. She was 8 months when I got her and now is a year old.

She has been a very nice cat and me and my mom have had great times with her...we gave her the healthiest meals we could find.

Gave her lots of toys and overall she was a joy in our life.

Usually when we would leave the house my room is where we lock the cat up..its the most cat proof room possible and the cat would make loud meows whenever we would be leaving.

My mom then slowly decided to take the cat out and let her roam around the house while we go out for just a moment.

I was the paranoid one who would always lock the cat before leaving but my mom (with good intentions) felt the cat should be allowed to roam more. She even knew how to open the closets so even if I put my shoes in the closet she would get the shoes anyways.

Now normally she would never do such a thing when we aren't there... usually she just hides somewhere when we leave for some reason. Whenever we used to come home she would be huddled in my room anyways even with the door open. So we weren't sure why she did what she did.

Recently my mom decided to let the cat out for longer and she ended up eating pieces of my shoes (crocs).

She started to vomit and refused to eat anything.

Long story short we took her to the vet and the vet told us that she may have an obstruction in her intestines. But through the X-ray (which we paid 400 for) she couldn't really see anything in the intestines but because of some small swelling in the intestines and gas in the colon she recommended that we take the cat for surgery etc.

It was a holiday and it would cost extra money to do an ultrasound (600) and if they found nothing they would have to do more tests to see what else might be causing the trouble.

But that it would cost 2000 for the surgery and 600 + for overnight stay and feeding tubes...

We just couldn't afford it. We were really stupid to not get pet insurance and also we just moved to a new house to most of the money had gone towards the mortgage.

We felts that there was still hope since the doctor didnt find any major inflammation.

So we tried to force feed the cat. She did start drinking water but her health still didnt improve and she vomited bile (green liquid) today and we knew that we had no choice.

We called the toronto humane society and they told us that there is a possibility that we could get the cat back depending on what the management and the doctor thought of us.

We had a long talk with the doctor and she said that we seemed like good owners and that they would put in a good word for us to management (who have the ultimate say on what goes).

They told us that they would only call us if they want to give us the cat otherwise we can never find out what happened to the cat since they own the cat now.

Does anyone have experience in this situation or knows what happens?

Thanks.

Last edited by sagas7; January 4th, 2015 at 09:10 PM.
Old January 5th, 2015, 12:48 PM

Still haven't heard from them. Feeling very depressed. I loved the cat so much I can't imagine being without her specifically.

Every morning I would wake up and see her

Even though she was weak she tried going to her litter to puke ;(

I got a call from the private clinic vet where we had first taken Bobo. The doctor said there is a good chance that they may return her to us. She thinks surgery might be required in which case we should expect to hear back from them in two weeks (if they want to see healed stitches). And they do treat pets and return them depending on the kind of owner behavior they see.

Also wanted to make clear that the cat would roam the house whenever one of us was home which is atleast half a day in the minimum. (Example early mornings and 5-11).

Last edited by sagas7; January 5th, 2015 at 01:31 PM.