Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants > Pet Stories - anecdotes - jokes

Old December 7th, 2010, 09:43 AM

Red face Obedience - FAIL

I took Sunshine for her second to last obedience lesson on Saturday. To get to the door of the building you have to go down a hill, then there is a strip of grass between you and the porch. To the right of the door is a strip of grass about 10 feet wide, a row of trees, and then the river with little chunks of ice floating in it. It was the first time we has gone down the hill with snow on it. At the bottom of the hill were 3 ducks two together and one closer to us, between us and the building. We got halfway down the hill and Sunshine just couldn't take it anymore. She tore the leash out of my hands and took off after the closest duck. It was an escaped black and white domestic duck I've been told is a Muscovy. The Muscovy didn't fly, it waddled off, with Sunshine following behind straight into the river. I barely have time to collect my wits enough to call my dog to come, she gets halfway to me and spots the other two Muscovy's still sitting there and takes off after them. Back to the river go the ducks and back to the river and in goes Sunshine, up to her shoulders. Granted, she again came back when I called her but she and the leash were both soaked and dripping. And she had burrs stuck so deeply in I had to wait and chop them out when we got home so she is looking a little funny until her fur grows back out. I spent the entire obedience lesson wishing I could pretend the dog on the other end of the leash belonged to someone else. It was almost worse when she did so well with most of the lesson (aside from barking at the instructor's puppy)
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old December 7th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Senior Contributor

You know, sometimes a dog just has to be a dog! I can see Sunshine standing very proud in the river! She chased the marauding ducks away so they couldn't hurt you mom. You should be proud!
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 7th, 2010, 12:27 PM

Well, I AM proud of the fact that she came back when called. Sadly, she proved that the "Leave It!" that works so well at home and in class needs a lot of work.
I'm also surprised that she went into the river TWICE. Surely once into an ice cold river would teach her that it's cold and she should stay out. Especially since she can't stand cold snow on her belly?
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

That's just because there's no ducks in the snow!
Old December 9th, 2010, 10:25 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

DD, I think you hit it right on the nose! Er...the beak! I feel your pain, obc--ours are very good at a lot of things...like not jumping up or leaving things alone...until either a guest gets brave enough to venture into the house or the Pack is out in the yard watching squirrels. But as DD also says, sometimes a dog just has to be a dog. I'm satisfied if mine keep all the embarrassing stuff to the backyard out of sight of the public!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 9th, 2010, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

During our final exam for Shadow's advanced obed. when we were doing one by one trials. On her final sit stay, I guess she misunderstood me, and she let out the biggest, loudest fart when her butt hit the gym floor! Everybody heard it and was laughing as I was explaining it was "her - not me!" Yes, dogs will be dogs! I just keep thinking about how wet Sunshine would have been going home! OBC, don't you just love wet dog smell??
Old December 10th, 2010, 01:46 AM

The class was an hour long and the building was warm, so she was only a little damp on the way home. Plus, we have a blanket to cover the back seat and she sat on that. But yes, the smell...especially from that river...
Old December 10th, 2010, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I know that smell! Shadow bolted on me once years ago when we were walking by the ocean. She was gone for some time (despite her advanced obedience she did not come when called). When she finally came back, very pleased with herself, she had obviously found something dead to roll on . I seriously considered leaving her on the beach! We all had our heads hanging out the windows on the drive home
Old December 10th, 2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
During our final exam for Shadow's advanced obed. when we were doing one by one trials. On her final sit stay, I guess she misunderstood me, and she let out the biggest, loudest fart when her butt hit the gym floor! Everybody heard it and was laughing as I was explaining it was "her - not me!" Yes, dogs will be dogs! I just keep thinking about how wet Sunshine would have been going home! OBC, don't you just love wet dog smell??
Indeed. My last dog used to break one each hour lying down on the floor beside the bed while I was attempting to sleep. Some of them were so acrid they would bring tears to the eyes! I solved it by getting her the biggest, softest dog bed I could find and I put it on the other side of the room. No more dog beside the bed making smells that could peel the paint off the walls. Although, they could drift across the room from time to time...
Old August 7th, 2011, 10:32 PM
Unofficial Zookeeper

I am laughing so hard at this entire thread. Dogs...yes will be dogs. but it seems they are even "more" doggiest when you have to take them into public.
Old August 8th, 2011, 05:56 PM
owned by Tucker

LOL DD Tucker did that to me at the vets once and the vet and tech just looked at me, I told them it wasn't me but they were probably thinking yeah rightwhat do you do...yepwill be who ever said that dogs only let out silent but deadly ones