Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 16th, 2004, 01:24 AM

Thumbs up Good books

After reading a thread by heidiho it got me thinking because I to have read most of Stephen Kings works and enjoy his books immensley!Having said that I also read some Autobiography's and also like some crime writers.Just lately I have been reading a couple of books by a guy called Harlen Coben, the books I have read are Tell no one and Gone for good I just wonderd if anyone also has read his works and thier thoughts on his books?A few years back I was also into Joseph Wambaugh he wrote The chior boys and the Black marble to metion a couple what a good read those were, dated now I suppose lol !
Old September 16th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Crusader

-Place stamp here-
i'll be back to refill this section Stu
Old September 16th, 2004, 09:45 AM

I LOVE BOOKS!!! Stewart, I am a colossal coward, so just the mention of Stephen King sends a shiver down my spine. I did read one of his books, though - my brother assured me it wasn't that scary. I beleive it was called "Dragon's Eye" or something to that effect. Very interesting read! I'm more of a fantasy/sci-fi person. Not the really waaayyy out there kind of stuff. Anne McCaffrey was a fave of mine in my younger days. Then she expanded a little too much on the Dragon Riders' series and it started getting annoying. LOTR is always a classic. Yes, I'm also a HUGE Harry Potter fan - the books, not the movies! Can't stand what they did to the last one (ugh!). The latest book I read was Margaret Atwood's "Oryx and Crake". Now that was very thought-provoking, and more than a little disturbing!!
Old September 17th, 2004, 04:35 PM

Writing I to have LOTR's from the Hobbit right through and now own the DVD's lol! Classics yes !
Old September 17th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by W4FUN
I'm more of a fantasy/sci-fi person.
NO Way DUDE! me TOO! i got a collection of aD&D's Novel's
the DarkSun Series! any you'd suggest ?
Old September 17th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Senior Contributor

oh stephen king, love love love him. as i sad before what a lierary genius. W4F i made my hubby read the dragons eye, he didnt like it either.
my 3 faves writers- of course stephen king, john saul and anne rice. oh jsut so talented. john saul is jsut a master mind as is anne, such skill for writing i consider them legends. i have read their books since i was 11 years old, you would think one would grow out of the jonra (spelling) but my attraction grows. i also collect their books, i once walked into a secound hand book store on the gold coast in queensland. i picked up a good looking copy of The feast of all saints by anne rice, it was $3 so i brought it for a spare in my collection (a bad habbit, to many spares). well i get out of the shop walk a block and open the front cover, in side it was autographed and said 'Dear Ron, best regards ANNE RICE'. well i nearly died, i have an autographed copy, so lucky me. i m very precious about my books, huge collection and if the house burned down i wpould jsut try and drag out the bookshelves.
i also love australias old writers esp Miles Franklin, who wrote here at the turn of the last centuary, she wront under a mans name 'miles' and had had many famous novels, you may have heard of the movie 'my brilliant career goes bung' that is Miles Franklin, and she was a interesting in life as she was in her novels. her novels hard to get here though, the state library say im the only person who has looked at their collection in at least 10yrs, and to me that is one of the greatest crimes of all, interesting to note before she died she burnt all her possessions, books ,letters photos any memrobilia of her life, her biggest fear was being lied about after death and causing scandal for all she knew, australia was sooo lucky to have had her, even fleetinly, i feel proud to know she was australian, we really are the lucky country one of my many other fav aussie books is the classic tale of love and triumph 'A Town Like Alice' i love it and want to go to alice springs to have an ice cream
Old September 17th, 2004, 05:36 PM

melanie, Can you tell me who wrote All along the rabbit proof fence please ?I know they recently made a film of it didnt they ....I sadly missed it
Old September 17th, 2004, 06:37 PM
Senior Contributor

'Rabbit Proof Fence' was written by Doris Pilkington Garimara, the daughter of one of those brave girls, Molly. it was made into a movie, but it is soo sad and hard to watch. the fence is still in existance today but it has never stoped one rabbit yet (the fence the longest in aus, streaches across three states).

it is a true story all the way and such a sad one, heart breaking, the plot of the story or similar is one that has been echoed throughout all indigenous communities in australia and the events are still in todays living memory, ahhh it is a very touchy and hard subject to deal with over here, every indigenous family was affected by those awful laws and practice.

just amazing how brave those little girls were and the power of wanting to just go home.
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:34 PM
banned user

I love Stephen King too!! And Sylvia Browne. She's my fav!!
And I got hooked on smut romantic books now! I don't have any favorites in those yet... just a few books I've picked up at yard sales or on sale at the book store.
Old September 17th, 2004, 11:41 PM
banned user

Stewart!

You'd be doing yourself a HUGE favor by finding and reading ANY Harlan Ellison book (many are short story compilations). That's my highest recommendation. He's my all time favorite writer.
He writes science fiction....mostly (?). He's very hard to classify, but the man is simply brilliant.

Melanie- I've read all of John Saul's books! What did you think of the Manhattan Club (his latest)? He can't write fast enough, as far as I'm concerned. I'm impatiently waiting for him to release another.

I used to be a huge Stephen King fan. I think that these days, Stephen is either out of ideas or trying to outdo himself (or both). I mean, what hasn't he done by now? He's covered just about everything. His books are getting far too outrageous lately. It's downright silly. The last of his I tried to read- (I think it was part of the Dark Tower series, but I'm not sure)- opened with a GIANT bear that had a satellite dish coming out of its head, and maggot-filled mucous running from its nose......while a legless woman rode on someone's shoulders to escape it.....in another dimension, mind you......and I just rolled my eyes and put down the book. Good grief.

Any of you who enjoy fantasy, intellectually challenging ideas and a GOOD LAUGH, treat yourself to some Terry Pratchett!
Old September 18th, 2004, 03:35 AM

Melanie,Thank you for that yes I did understand what the story was about just that I forgot her name One of my most prized DVD's is the film The colour purple,I can keep my eyes dry and watch real gutsy stuff Cactus I totally with agree with you on Mr Kings latest works and thank you for the pointer on that other writer!
Old September 18th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

sneaky, smut romance that is jsut so adorable, i once worked in a book store in sydney, we actually stocked around 70% romance smut the rest mixed it was a really big seller and surprisingly we had a few regular male customers, see the boys like romamce too
stewart the color purple is another fav as is the great gatsby, i loooove gatsby. theCP is oprahs greatest movie, i loove oprah to , it is such an amazing book and movie.
cactus- as yet i have not read the manhattan hunt club, it will be my next read, cant wait, it may be his latest, that or the blackstone chronicles (the yers are getting muddled, no im getting old) did you read the blackstone chronicles?? jsut brillant and very well written. i loove nathaniel, iti s one of his older books but a fav.
and i cover my ears and eyes right now at yoru comments of the last of the dark tower, can i ask have you read the entire series?? from a dedicated follower of well over 13yrs (it has taken stephen this long to write it, he releases one every 5yrs or so) of the dark tower series i near died when i read what you said, no surely you do not speak of our beautiful gunslingers roland of gilelead and alice of new york, no i cringe, not my gunslingers,

if you have read the series i am shocked and worried (worried as i am hanging for this part of the story) by your comment, if you havent read the series i understand the story sounds ridiculous and out there, but oh my it isnt, it all makes perfect sense to me and is another part of a mothwatering series and it just makes me want to run arond squeeling at the sheer excitement i feel knowing i am getting a soft cover copy to read soon, oh my goodness it has been so long nad it is so hard waiting, knowing your fav characters are just suspended out there, not knowing what he (stephen) will do next, oh im too excited, need to calm down. please, if you havent, read the entire series starting with book one the gunslinger. it is a brilliant and amazing story, and you should give it a go, i reckon you will like it.

another of my fav kings is the 'girl who loved tom gordon, another brilliant peice' and he just keeps getting stronger and more exciting every year
Old September 19th, 2004, 12:25 PM
banned user

The Girl who Loved Tom Gordon I did read, and it was excellent. I also read Dreamcatcher and loved it. I recently read Secret Window, Secret Garden and The Library Policeman,. Very good very good. I am just more selective about Stephen these days, for the aforementioned reasons. I wasn't able to get past the giant maggoty satellite bear, or get through From a Buick Eight, either.
Sometimes I will download the books (www.WinMX.com- check it out, free and a great site for music or books) and give them a listen if I don't have time to read- or if I have reservations about it. I dowloaded Sun Dog, and that story had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. I did listen to select parts of the Dark Tower series.....namely Roland walking through the desert- go figure .
There is also a free site for audio books: www.audiobooksforfree.com
There you can even find some classics. You have to download them piece by piece, but it's worth it if you have the time for that. I love listening to a story while I'm cleaning house or otherwise busy with mundane chores.
These days I've been hopelessly addicted to listening to old time radio stations that play all the science fiction shows like Radio Mystery Theater,etc.
Live365.com is a good one for that.
Old September 19th, 2004, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I love John Saul too!!! Haven't read his newest though, still working through Dean Koontz's newest!! He is my all time fave!!!

Rabbit Proof Fence was a good movie, mad me sad! I bet the book would be way better!!!! Have to keep my eyes open for it at book sales!!

CF - can you download the whole audio book and burn it to CD??? I never even thought of that...what a "novel" idea (no pun intended!!!) Guess what I'm gonna be doing all evening??? LOL

P.S audiobooks.com charges for the books.....didn't you say it was free?? Wierd!!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old September 19th, 2004, 03:28 PM
banned user

I'm very sorry! The correct link is: www.audiobooksforfree.com

I will go back and edit my previous post.
Old September 19th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I too watched"Rabbit fence"excellent tragic movie,all so more tragic because it really happened.
I read Dean Koontz,Faye and Jonathan Kellerman(my favorites),Anne Rice and soo many more,nothing beats curling up with a good mystery,with a cat or two on your lap and a drink by your side
Old September 19th, 2004, 03:58 PM
banned user

Chico! It has become cold here overnight (literally) and your post makes me want to snuggle on the couch with a cuppa tea, my blankie, a few cats and a good book! I can't think of anything better to do on a sunday evening!
That is if I can get the housework done before hubby gets home!!
Old September 19th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the links, Cactus Flower! I LOVE radio plays. In the fifties (now you know that I am truly OLD, although not at heart) there used to be so many - Dragnet, etc. Of course TV hardly existed and in any case we didn't have one (altho' my daddy always rented a set for the hockey playoffs and we couldn't get enough; literally anything held our attention. There was only about 10 hours a day and the quality wasn't great). Anyway, radio drama was a passion with me, I even listened to something called the Salvation Army Hour, which was a drama where the hero/heroine always got 'saved' at the end. It all seems so innocent now...

Have you ever listened to the BBC (British Broadcasting System)? www.bbc.co.uk/radio. Look for Radio 4, which has all the 'talk' programs and regular plays, book readings, etc. You just have to figure out the time difference, but after that it's easy. The British were pioneers in radio drama, they do a fine job. Even though TV rules, I would give it up in a heartbeat if I had to choose between telly and radio.
Old September 19th, 2004, 09:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Badger,CF...wow,radio-plays,that brings back memories
My mom and I used to lay in bed and listen to plays,sometimes scary ones and we would have the lights out,making it even scarier
We of course did not have a TV then,but our neighbor did and sometimes we would be invited in to watch TV,but it was not as good as mom and I listening to a radio-play in the dark.
Yes,life seemed simpler then,friendlier somehow.
Old September 19th, 2004, 11:30 PM
banned user

Stewart, if this is too far off topic for you, just say the word. I don't want to hijack your thread.

Yes! I've listened to BBC radio. Windows media player's "radio station guide" has it listed there, as well as other excellent stations. I think WMP is where I found "Brando Classics"- excellent old time radio station.
Old September 20th, 2004, 05:56 AM

Cactus Flower,Its ok I am enjoying reading folks replies to this and gathering ideas.By the way Melanie if your reading I said earlier about watching Rabbit proof fence well yesterday(sunday)I managed to watch it on satelite very moveing and interesting to see the the two girls at the end .
Old September 20th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks CF!! What a great site!!!!
1 very mean tiger barb (who killed all of our other fish)
3 leopard geckos - Dave, Jenn & Jane (gone back to their original owner)

GONE TO CRITTER HEAVEN:
1 house gecko - George (RIP)
2 giant african land snailS - Kaimah (RIP) & Kamau (RIP)
2 baby african land snails - Tiny & Pokey (RIP)
1 Veiled Chameleon - Chip (RIP)
Old September 20th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

it is very moving, very real, and very sad. the crimes against the indigneous ppl of my country continue today and many of these crimes are in my liiving memory, the policy of removing children from their mothers continued until the late 1970's here, and i have freinds from the stolen generation. but i do believe sharing stories like this, that not only show such tragedy and genocide, but they very importantly show the strength of this culture, the strength of the ppl of my land and the fact that genocide never worked on them and they are getting stronger every year with greater self determination and esteem of culture growing. i am so sorry if i seem to be carrying on, but this subject goes deep to my core, and hurts like hell, the tears i shed over this issue, but that is nothign compared to the pain of my lands ppl. i love my land and its ppl.b various aboriginal issues are also the the topic of my thesis which i am finishing (3yrs later), throughout my study i have had to read thousands of the most racist and abhorent documents, to the point i want to avert my eyes, but i do not, if a child can live it i can read it.
but australia is still a racist place with one of our politicians (the pig of a man david oldfield) stating last year (from hansard)-' i ask the hon. DR chersterfield to one day explain what it is in aboriginal culture that is so worthy of preserving and teaching. aboriginal culture and its teachings helps keep aboriginal ppl living in the past, it does not serve aus aboriginals in any way to keep on pretending they are in some way special'. yes that is an aussie politician and that is his direct quote. it is men like him who wish to continue such practice as seen in RPF, sickens me. and there are quite a few aussies (a minority though) who i know repeat this sentiment. whoo got that of my chest.

now i wont mention it agian, i promise.

chico, did you read blackwood farm by anne rice, OMG, it was great and so exciting, oh the beautiful mayfairs, my beautiful morrigan mayfair on the other side, and with lestat, now that is asking for trouble. lestat is a total dream to me, i loove his character and read any book with him in it over and over again, when i put his books down it is with a glisten in the eye and a big romantic sigh, they are my version of smut romance (dont say its sick).

i used to be a role player, like dungeons and dragons, but the game we play is Vampire the Masquarade, it is very similar to a rice novel except you have a story teller and it is a little more violent and wild than any rice (nearly). a fantastic game, very intense and very creative. you have a character that you make up and play, well needles to say my character was called, you guessed it, morrigan (the name only not her character, not allwoed in game). she lived a long life in the game but sadly screwed up big time and was sent to rome (means they knocked her on the head, ow)
and i am the only female player i have ever known, i have always played with boys, there is actually huge shops over here in brisbane only for this game, and one day i walked in and you should have seen it, every geek in the room droped his pencil and gaped, they were thinking 'is that a real female, no gotta be fake, dont mind though". i have never haqd that much male attention all at once in my laife, sadly they were all really geeky and weedy, if its not one its the other eh, ahh.

do we have any other role players here, if so what are you playing??
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:09 PM
banned user

Mel, I've played Vampire (and was the only girl in my group). I was brujah (sp?). What were you?

You are most welcome, Catt- enjoy!
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

no way, from your pic i would have picked you to be a Toreodore, wow i was wrong, a brujah, oh my, what a brut did you play for long??

i miss the game, still have all the story teller books, sheets and dice etc. i miss my old story teller (my ex) he was brilliant at it, i have never played like that with anyone else, he was our story teller for 2yrs, our group was 6ppl..

my lovely morrigan was a Tremere of ocurse, i could never tolerate being in any other clan for any charater, it goes against my academic (and arrogant) spirit , oh i loved her, i still have all her sheets. i played morrigan for about 2 yrs till every one got real cranky cause she was real trouble and becoming uncontrolable as her points grew, she was a real pain for any one else playing . the reason she was eventually sent to rome (she was given a choice, die or go to rome) was that she had stolen lots of documents and secrets and had started selling them to the Setites she was really bad and i loved her. i will play her again one day if i can find someone with her points (she got 2yrs worth she could do most things). my hubby actually killed one of his characters saving her, i thought it was sooo funny, he did not (oh and when he saved her, she ran for it and left him with the hunters, lol what a cow)

i will always have her, i really love her character and she is soo bad, how could i not

i actually got a friends brujah once and turned him mad, that was lots of fun, he eventually freaked out and ate his mobile phone in front of humans and he was killed by his clan, oh i was proud of her for that one, see that was morrigan, jsut lovely she was. she was once so bad and did sonething with the Setites her master chained her to a wall for 3 yrs, he would come along daily and ask her if she was sorry and other stuff, she would tell him to go and get totally stuffed every day (in not so nice words) and so she was beaten on a very regular basis for her insubordination, ha i was not going to let her apologise.

i have played online with others but it is not the same as a story teller and i reackon the others are cheating and make really strong characters at the begining which with initial point allocation is not possible, so i stoped that.

in brisbane there are two shops of oposing factions on one side of the city you have a shop only for the Camarilla (seven clans all united) and one shop on the other side of the city for the Sabbat (two bad clans). they actually have huge games at the shops that involove 30 or so ppl playing at once, they have 5 or 6 story tellers going at one time, i would love to give it a go. it was the camarilla shop i went into that time, poor boys, im sure they still talk about that day a woman came into the shop 5yrs ago.

oh i miss morrigan, might make hubby play this weekend, but he says i am in no way allowed to play morrigan, what a wet blanket, i told him not to be so scared of her, or she will really get him .
Old September 21st, 2004, 05:57 PM
Senior Contributor

forgot to mention you can download their screen savers or buy a disc with the screen savers, i love mine and it changes regularly, you get lots of different characters from all clans.