Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 22nd, 2003, 06:45 PM

Unhappy My dog is very sick

My dog is very sick. She won't eat. Has been going on for about 2 weeks now. I've been feeding her through a syringe. Making her eat. Unfortunatly I don't have the money to take her to a vet right now. The white of her eyes are yellow and her urine is very dark. Is there any suggestions as to what it might be? I would really appreciate any help on this at all. I really don't want to loose her. She's a Blue Heeler. She's about 6 years old. I just don't know what to do!!
Old November 22nd, 2003, 07:09 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Borrow the money then and take the dog to the vet.
Your dog could #1 dehydrate if not already
#2 have liver and or kidney failure

If you don't take your dog asap she could end up dead from renal failure! AND this dog could be in a lot of pain.

(shaking my head....I"m tired of people saying they don't have the money....figure something out some how!! Call a vet, see if they take payment plans, set up an account just for the pet, save some money for days like this)!!

BE RESPONSIBLE!! This is a life not a toy!!!

If you had a child and had no medical plan would you not take the child to the hospital or doctor???

*my apologies for the outburst* but it's just wrong that people don't think of alternatives.

Vets can be expensive yes but would you not rather your dog with you then end up paying a 'disposal' fee for a dead body from a dog that died in pain and didn't receive attention from a vet???
Have that on your mind, guilt for not doing something??

If your dog has something called Pancreatitis fluids and foods are the WORST thing you can do, the dog needs IV if this is the case to keep from dehydrating and from renal failure.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GET THAT DOG TO A VET 'NOW'

Luba
Old November 22nd, 2003, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

Very well said, Luba!
I really can't add anything to what you said, except that to allow a dog to lie there and suffer an agonizing death is cruel in the extreme, and in many places is an offense for which a person can be arrested.
Old November 22nd, 2003, 09:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Umm, what you are doing is cruel.
Your profile says you are a "broodmare groom." Does this mean you work with horses? Then you have absolutely no excuse, surely there must be a vet available.

Do you have a car? Pawn it. A computer? Sell it or pawn it. An employer? Ask for an advance. A checking account? Hell, write a bad check if it will save your dog suffering another day. You can take care of the check later. You can't do much about a dying dog.

OK, the bad check is very poor advice. But personally I would do it if I had no other alternative.
There must be SOMEONE in your life who can loan you a little money. Someone with a credit card wouldn't even have to be out any cash up front, and you can pay it off.

I sure hope you don't have children.
Old November 23rd, 2003, 07:49 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Carina, LR and I are wondering what the vet said about your dog?

Is it something serious or will she be okay with some meds?

Let us know!

Luba
Old November 23rd, 2003, 03:36 PM
Senior Contributor

come on, have you been to your vet and begged, pleadded, anything, this is your baby here?? I know that some vets will take the animal, fix it but you cant take it home till the bill is paid and you must pay boarding costs ect. that is an option. go to your vet and put all these ideas to them (there are some great ideas below) and im sure they will help. have you asked vets for emergency services in your area? get creative and do something, most vets will not allow your animal to die. and like carina said, sell something, borrow, plead do everything. if you really love the animal you will find a way and there is a way.......but i dont believe for a moment that you want this situation or are a cruel dog owner ( a bad owner would never have tried to fix the dog in the first place or even notice) and i dont think this is a reflection of what sort of parent you are or will be, or the type of person you are, i know what it is like to be poor with a pet, life is unpredictable, so just do everything you can and more and im sure it will be fine and work out. good luck and get to a vet
Old November 24th, 2003, 11:45 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Pooh711

How is your doggie?
Old November 25th, 2003, 07:31 PM

Unhappy

I guess I'm talking to the wrong people. You obviously don't understand how hard of a thing all this was for me. I was just looking for help, not notes of disappointment for my accused lack of care for my animals. You people have no idea what is going on in my life right now. I love my animals dearly and would give my life for them. I just went through the woods at 4:30am this morning trying to find my cat who I couldn't find and thought might be hurt because I could hear him meowing, but he would not come up to eat. But none of this matters, unfortunatly my dog died the same night I wrote the first post. Animal cruelty should be a word saved for people who purposly put animals through harm. Not for people who are just down on their luck and things just seem to keep on getting worse. And you people can write back and say that there is no excuse, but like I said you don't understand the circumstances, or the sorrow that is brought by this without being accused of it being my fault. I did everything that I could humanly do, I have no control over the things that are going on in regards to my money situation right now. None of my animals are starving like thousands that have no home at all right now. All my animals know they are loved. I'm sorry that you are all just so closed minded that you automatically accuse me of animal cruelty when you have no idea who I am at all.
That being said, I hope you all have a nicer evening than I am.
Good Day!
Old November 25th, 2003, 08:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I guess I'm talking to the wrong people
Yep. You need to talk to people who can diagnose and treat your terminally ill dog over the internet.

Quote:
You obviously don't understand how hard of a thing all this was for me.
Imagine how hard it was for your dog.

Quote:
You people have no idea what is going on in my life right now.
Uh..no, we don't. I'm sure no else here has a life that is a bowl of cherries either but we don't leave our helpless pets to die. Want to hear my life story, and what I've been through - without letting my pets lie there and die in pain?

Quote:
I love my animals dearly and would give my life for them.
I don't think your dog wanted you to do that - easing his suffering one way or another would have been sufficient.

Quote:
I just went through the woods at 4:30am this morning trying to find my cat who I couldn't find and thought might be hurt because I could hear him meowing, but he would not come up to eat
I hope for your cat's sake he is not sick or injured. Try keeping him in or rehoming him if you can't afford a vet.

Quote:
Animal cruelty should be a word saved for people who purposly put animals through harm
Not true. Serious neglect can be just as bad as intentional abuse.

Quote:
I did everything that I could humanly do
Such as?

Quote:
None of my animals are starving like thousands that have no home at all right now
Merely keeping your animals from starvation is the barest minimal care, and is not enough.

You have options to get help for your problems. Your dog had only you to depend on.
Old November 25th, 2003, 09:02 PM

Great post LR!! I totally agree with you.

Pooh711, I am sorry for your loss but I still feel you should have taken your dog to the vet for proper care. If it were my dog that was in that situation (I really hope it never happens), I would have asked the vet for a payment plan, failing that I would have asked family for the money, failing that I would have went to a rescue group and asked for assistance in helping my dog.

Pet owners need to keep funds set aside for situations like this coming up because they do happen as much as we hate to think of it ever happening to one of our dogs. If you cannot afford to pay for things like this coming up than you can NOT afford to own pets, I am sorry but that is the truth. There is a lot more that goes into owning a pet than just feeding them and there are certainly more cost to consider than just the initial cost of purchase (if you paid for your dog). All of this is part of being a responsible pet owner.

And for the record, in most places Animal Cruelty can be defined as denying proper medical attention to an animal. It is not just beating, starving etc.

Please think twice before getting another dog, or cat or any animal.

Again I am sorry for your loss and I sincerely hope you don't have to go through that again.
Old November 25th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

(Luba bows her head in prayers for that lovely little life lost)

I'm sure it's been hard Pooh but life can be hard. Yet we plug through and do our best, try our best and make arrangements where necessary.

You didn't come to the wrong place, I'm happy you came and glad you posted your note here.

As LR said, we all have life stories and if we were to post them all on here then it would be all about 'us' not our animals, and well....though we incorporate a little of our lives through this communication it is moreso about our pets and such it should be.

Vets are very expensive true, but if you plan on owning animals you must set up some sort of bank account or save for those days when needed.

We have lessons to learn in our lives, perhaps this is one of those for you. Your dog may not have lived regardless of what actions you took earlier on, if you had taken her to the vet.
However, she deserved that chance and I believe you do know that now.

I assume that you did take her to the vet when you saw that it was dangerously ill or perhaps the death was more subtle in nature. Question being, you could certainly educate people on this forum through your experience. It would help if you shared with us all what it was that your dog was ill from, if you did eventually get to a vet.

If you do not know, I am hoping that you sent the body for proper disposal (as horrid as that may sound) as the dog could have had some sort of communicable or contageous disease.

Do you have other dogs in your home as well ? You can never be too careful with things like bedding, toys, food and water dishes. I would not let your other animals use these items.
If you buried your dog yourself on your own property, it may encourage wild animals to dig and like I said if the disease was communicable we could be looking at other animals becoming sick.
Forgive the rambling, but you get the point.

Here is a big hug for your loss. Let us learn from this, all of us and perhaps with more of what you share it will and or could prevent this from occurring again.

God Bless the dog!

Please post a picture and name of your friend

Luba
Attached Images

Old November 26th, 2003, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Angry

hi there pooh007. sorry for your loss (you probably dont believe me)did you read what i said. i dont think i was awful or anything, i was actually defending you and encouraging you, but hey abuse away, i told you that i didnt agree with the others. how disapointing that you would send such a generalised note. i did not accuse you of cruelty and actually said i know how it felt and was very empathetic to your situation (quite possible that you didnot want to see this), and we all had some great ideas that could have helped, maybe you just want to vent. how sad that YOU act so closed minded,

YOU SAID-
'I'm sorry that you are all just so closed minded that you automatically accuse me of animal cruelty when you have no idea who I am at all. '

did i do this, I DONT THINK SO. i hate false accusations also, your accusations are not justified and that really sucks, hey i was just trying to encourage you but you seem determined to tar us all with the same brush. and i did NOT at any stage call you cruel, in fact i tried to explain why i didnt think you were cruel, how sad for you to be like that, maybe you should look before you leap in the future and not be so mean spirited to those who are just trying to help......
Old November 26th, 2003, 09:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Pooh, I am very sorry for the loss of your dog.

However I did note that your rebuttal was all about "poor YOU" and not your poor dog. You used the terms I/me/my 28 times and did not mention your dog's name.

Like others here, I've been down pretty low, I lived in a Dodge van for 6 months in the 1980s with my then-husband and a dog. I can assure you I would have found SOME way to get veterinary care for my dog if he were suffering to death.

(The ex husband would have to care for himself though.)

Godspeed, little Blue Heeler dog.
Old November 27th, 2003, 12:20 PM

Well said Carina. I'm sorry Pooh but you don't let any animal suffer and die. you should have taken the poor little dog to the vet as soon as you noticed something was wrong. I would never let an animal suffer like that, I would have sold all my posessions to get money if any of my animals were ill. In any case if you had taken the dog to any vet they would never turn a sick animal away. By the way we have all heard how YOU suffered but what about poor little Blue Heeler, you didn't even call him by name, it all makes me so sad.
Old November 27th, 2003, 12:57 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I think we all need to step down a little bit and take a breather!

The best decisions and choices were not made and I agree but targeting her at this time is feeding on the negativity.

Education is key which is why I hope she responds to enlighten us with what made her dog sick.

Please let us know Pooh
Old December 2nd, 2003, 10:53 AM

I was wondering what kind of people are you?? Honestly!! People come on here asking for help and all everyone seems to want to do is call everyone animal abusers and critsize the way others take care of their animals. Me myself I have a 3 year old lab/rottie mixed he was adopted from the spca which means in his first year of life he was neutered and recieved all his shots for that year,since then he has none, I have three cats between the ages of 4 months and 1 1/2 yrs. that have no shots. I have raised plenty of animals and when I saw plenty I mean plenty and none where ever taken to the vet. So does that make me selfish and an animal abuser?? To you people it will. I live in Baltimore, Maryland USA and 80% of the people here can not afford to take their animal to the vet 65% can not even afford to take themselves to the doctors. You would not believe how many animals live on the street. But because we can not afford to take our animals to the vet DOES NOT mean that we should be able to have the companionship of an animal without being consider an abuser. Not everyone in this world has money but love for animal many people have. I have witnessed it myself that an animal can live without vet help. My cat Smokey died at the age of 20yrs and never once was taken to the vet. I think everyone should not judge people on the ability to care for an animal when no one knows them or can relate to the pain that they are suffering. Because loosing an animal can hurt you for the rest of your life. And what you really need is some sympathy for this person.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Ok,I can't for the life of me understand why some people own animals and can't care for them.And for you not to take your animals for their shots is beyond me.Have you heard of rabies,parvo,feline lukemia,and all the othe diseases that animals get?When animal gets sick it is our resposibility to take care of it.If you can't afford it,DON'T own one.They are a part of our family.Love and affection is not the only thing it takes to owning one.It just ticks me off when I hear I can't afford to take it to a vet.I'm sorry but that poor thing was suffering so bad.It is abuse to let your animal suffer.She wanted advise and she got it.And to be honest I don't think anyone said anything wrong.Sympathy for her?Sorry but I have more sympathy for that poor little dog that suffered.We all have problems in our life.I am a dog owner.And trust me they have put me in the poor house.But that is my choice as a dog owner.I knew they would not be healthy forever.And if I knew I couldn't be a responsible pet owner then I would not have gotten them.Abuse is not only physical,it is emotional.
Old December 2nd, 2003, 11:41 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

That's right Mona

Jenn you are wrong I pray that none of your animals become sick.

Sympathy for someone who has lost a pet is one thing, but let me ask you this.....

What is the difference between the idiot who chained his dog to a car making it run until it's feet were raw and pads ripped off, bleeding and in pain.....then not take the animal to a vet.

AND

Someone who KNOWS their animal is in pain and sick and doesn't get care for the poor soul?

Both cause intent to harm and prevent the life from a chance at recovery or atleast no pain!

You can love your pets, hug them, feed them walk them and rely on them to make YOU feel better when you are sick. They lay in your lap, give you kisses and make you warm with their tiny bodies laying next to you. They devote their lives TO YOU and you can't do the same for them. I guess we know who still feels that they are on top of the food chain and screw everything below.

Selfishness

Luba
Old December 2nd, 2003, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

to jenn216

Quote:
Originally posted by Jenn216
I was wondering what kind of people are you?? Honestly!! People come on here asking for help and all everyone seems to want to do is call everyone animal abusers and critsize the way others take care of their animals.

And what you really need is some sympathy for this person.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i think that people are so rude on these online forums as they dont have to face those who they are rude to and can hide behind their computer, try being a nice person in all aspects, not just face to face, karma will get you even if your bad feelings are projected online..... yet again we are seeing a very selective reader here, read the messages properly and you may note that some of us never accused this person of being abusive and expressed sympathy for her and her situation.

IN MY ORIGINAL MESSAGE I WROTE- and i am quoting directly

'but i dont believe for a moment that you want this situation or are a cruel dog owner ( a bad owner would never have tried to fix the dog in the first place or even notice) and i dont think this is a reflection of what sort of parent you are or will be, or the type of person you are, i know what it is like to be poor with a pet, life is unpredictable, so just do everything you can' end quote

but obviously you are very short sighted and only read what you want, or maybe you just dont want to read this and can only focus on the bad.. people offered good ideas below, which if you read properly was the request of the original writer and yes people are allowed their opinion on animal care, and as many of us see, animal are abused everyday and we ALL have a responsibility to them (animals) to ensure they are protected. oh and i am not rich, in fact i have lived well below the poverty line and my animal has never been without the proper care, to claim poverty as an excuse for mistreatment of animals is lame and a ridiculous attempt to justify this behaviour. so get down off your high horse and get a grip.

PS i find it interesting that you boast about your own animal mistreatment, when there are many diseases ect. rabies, parvo ect. (go mona) that can harm your animal and can easily be prevented with adequate treatment. these diseases can be transmitted to other animal and native animals (native animal often come of the worst as their imune system is different to domestic species).