Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 13th, 2010, 08:26 PM

Off Leash Experience Success

We took Loki down to Angell Woods today (a wonderful off leash area for dogs). It's the first time we've taken him there and I was prepared to keep him on his flexi lead the entire time. I'm a nervous mama and while I was mostly confident he would respect the recall with us, we've never had that many other dogs around as a distraction. Plus, the whole non enclosed area - it was a bit scary for me.

I'm happy to report he did WONDERFULLY! He ran, zoomed, played.. came back when called and saw us walking in the opposite direction. Even within the woods, he stuck fairly close by.

I honestly never thought we'd be able to experience any kind of 'off-leash' trips/activities with him and I'm just thrilled we were able to.

This kind of thing is probably old school stuff to a lot of dog owners, but we've had Loki for just over a year and he's our first dog. It's a huge deal for us!
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Doggie Wench

That is wonderful, Loki Love . Only problem is is you forgot to share pics of your outing with us .
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
That is wonderful, Loki Love . Only problem is is you forgot to share pics of your outing with us .
I had the camera, but I was too busy focusing on Loki and making sure he was doing what he was told and keeping him within sight that I had no time to take pictures! I can normally multi-task really well, but today was the exception!

I'll take pictures next time
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:46 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm glad you enjoyed your day all the same. I'm pretty nervous about letting our guys off-leash as well and normally don't unless dh is with me. I only trust two of them to listen to me 100% but still won't do it when I'm alone .

You know, you can post other pics of Loki, it doesn't have to be from today's outing .
Old November 13th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
You know, you can post other pics of Loki, it doesn't have to be from today's outing .
There are a few in my album, but I should add more at some point
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Live well, laugh often

Yeah Loki . It is always great when they make us proud. I sure hope he gots lots of tasty rewards .
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:46 PM

Is he the one in your avatar? He is nice! I have seen those dogs before, but not sure what breed they are? It's great when all the hard work pays off isn't it?
Myka - Nov 1998 to Jan 2010 - 85 lb American Pit Bull Terrier cross
Lacy - Sept 1992 to July 2003 - 18 lb Reg Shetland Sheepdog
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
Is he the one in your avatar? He is nice! I have seen those dogs before, but not sure what breed they are? It's great when all the hard work pays off isn't it?
Yes, that's my Loki in the avatar He's a Great Dane (turning 2 in about 10 days!).
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:20 PM

Oh! He is not the breed I am thinking of then! I actually didn't know Danes could have that long hair on their heads.
Old November 13th, 2010, 10:48 PM

Just Googled... Giant Schnauzer is what I was thinking of!
Old November 14th, 2010, 08:22 AM
Senior Contributor

That's great news.

I just wanted to comment on the flexi, or any leash, in the off-leash area. It's not a good idea for your dog to be leashed when the others aren't. For one, being on-leash changes most dogs body language. This can be very detrimental to doggy interactions. One can't display proper body language when leashed and the unleashed one can misinterpret the leashed one. It is a common cause of poor interaction even to the point of aggression.

The leash can injure the other dogs. I know of a broken leg caused to an off-leash dog by the trailing leash of another. Dangerous when they are playing and running.

For the above two reasons some dog parks will post that leashes are not allowed in the off leash area. Good Loki was able to be off after all but just in case you rethink his behaviour and comtemplate putting it on.

Yay Loki. You ZOOM.
Old November 14th, 2010, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
That's great news.

I just wanted to comment on the flexi, or any leash, in the off-leash area. It's not a good idea for your dog to be leashed when the others aren't. For one, being on-leash changes most dogs body language. This can be very detrimental to doggy interactions. One can't display proper body language when leashed and the unleashed one can misinterpret the leashed one. It is a common cause of poor interaction even to the point of aggression.

The leash can injure the other dogs. I know of a broken leg caused to an off-leash dog by the trailing leash of another. Dangerous when they are playing and running.

For the above two reasons some dog parks will post that leashes are not allowed in the off leash area. Good Loki was able to be off after all but just in case you rethink his behaviour and comtemplate putting it on.

Yay Loki. You ZOOM.
I completely agree. When we first arrived, we actually walked past all the off leash dogs and found a spot kind of off on our own so he wouldn't have those kinds of interactions. It was only when another Dane came zooming out of the woods and it was quite obvious Loki and her were wanting to play that we unclipped him and didn't look back.

Given it was such a positive experience, the next time we won't be so hesitant in removing the leash more quickly (it's so hard to give up that control from a paranoid momma though! LOL)