Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 24th, 2012, 08:46 AM
1st time pet parent

PC Nurition First Puppy? New dog owner needs help!

I'd love your imput as I noticed in a prevous PC food post this doesn't sound like a fan favotite brand around here and I'm feeling a bit worried. The registered breeder that I'm getting my puppy from feeds it so I bought a bag for when junior comes home... is this an okay long term choice? I can't be forking out big bucks so I'm looking for a balance between $$$ and health.

"PC Nutrition First Puppy" chicken & brown rice ($9.99 for 3 kg)-
Chicken Meal, Chicken, Brown Rice, Dehulled Barley, Oatmeal, Chicken Fat (perserved w/ mixed tocopherols), Whole dried eggs, Natural chicken flavour, Tomatoes, Flaxseed, Salmon oil, hearring meal, brewers yeast, clacium carbonate, whole sweet potatoes, whole carrots, whole blueberries, whole cranberries, whole apples, potassium chloride, Dicalcium phosphate, sodium chloride, Vitamins (A, D3, E, Niacin, C, Inositol, d-calcium pantothenate, Thiamine mononitrate, Riboflavin, Beta Carotene, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Folic Acid, Vitamin K, Biotin, B12 supplement, Zinc Proteinate, Ferrous Sulphate, Manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, Calcium iodate, sodium selenite), probiotics, digentive enzymes, DL-Methionine, Yucca Schidigera, Dried Rosemary.
(sorry for any typos!)

Can't wait for your expert advice!

Last edited by Charliee; April 24th, 2012 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Spelling.... duh.....
Old April 24th, 2012, 08:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Do you have a "Global Pet Food" near you. They have an amazing line up of food. You have to decide Grain Free or Regular Grain Food. It's the big debate these days. I personally feed "Acana" Lamb and Apple, it has grain, but I also add high quality canned. It also depends on activity, size, breed etc. I don't feel that grocery store food is good quality, some say Costco has a good food.
Old April 24th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

It looks OK to me and a key point is that you should feed puppy whatever the breeder used for a while anyway. One or two months. Most breeders will send you home with a small bag of their food. Puppy is going to face a lot of big changes soon, best to keep what you can the same for a bit.

I would expect the breeder to give you detailed feeding instructions on how to up the amount for proper, SLOW growth, and when to switch to adult food and to give her/his recommendation on the adult food

I see you have highlighted the Vit. K. Vit K is a naturally occuring vitamin. Synthetic Vit K., called Menadione, is controversial. You might want to confirm that with the company, is it obtained from natural sources or is it synthetic? I would discuss the importance with the breeder.

Also check your health guarantee. You might lose it if you change the food.
Old April 24th, 2012, 11:35 AM
1st time pet parent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longblades View Post
I see you have highlighted the Vit. K. Vit K is a naturally occuring vitamin. Synthetic Vit K., called Menadione, is controversial. You might want to confirm that with the company, is it obtained from natural sources or is it synthetic? I would discuss the importance with the breeder.

Also check your health guarantee. You might lose it if you change the food.
I never thought about the health guarantee part, I'll have to ask!

I'm new to the pet world but have noticed, after lurking around here, that this food part is taken with the same passion as breast vs. formula! So I highlighted the VIt K part because from other heated threads re: the vitamin my understnding is if it says Vitamin K it is the natural source vs being listed as menadione.

Thanks for the great info!
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:42 AM

Wow. Pretty healthy line up there. It's okay to feed those or to have some of that vitamins on the food you serve for them. As long as they have annual check ups with the vet. Vitamins and exercise. Your dog are good to go.
Old May 27th, 2012, 01:44 PM

We tried the PC Nutrition First a while ago. Bought a small bag of the chicken and a small bag of the Lamb - they were on sale. My dog has an iron stomach and can eat anything, anytime.

This food gave her the nastiest farts I've ever encountered. Both the Chicken and the Lamb. My neighbor tried it as well and said the same thing (and she feeds Iams...for comparison)

My dog turned her nose up at both flavours within a few days as well.

Kirkland (Chicken or Lamb) works well, is comparably priced, etc. We also use TLC (order online) and occasionally Acana in the rotation. She does best on either the TLC or the Kirkland Chicken, a close second on the Kirkland Lamb, and a close third on the Acana Wild Prairie. She's tried Merrick and Canidae as well in the past but they both made "extra large prizes" in the backyard so we stopped those.

Also note Breeders often have a health guarantee because they get a % of the food you buy back - see TLC's business model. Hence we set up a new account with TLC under my wife's name and WE get the kickback.....not the breeder (she didn't tie her guarantee to it, but fed it and strongly recommended it...)
Old November 15th, 2012, 10:22 AM

Hi, I'm in the process right now of switching both my dogs from Kirkland to PC Nutrition First. One dog is 1.5 years and his little sister is 5.5 mos. They did ok on Kirkland but they always had the runs so after alot of research on different brands, comparing lables I went with the PC.
SO FAR SO GOOD, and I won't have to make the 1/2 hr drive to Costco every month )

* Happy feeding. *
Old November 15th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Jag and Gingers dad

i was feeding the pc salmon and sweet potatoe for awhile and my 2 did great on it.but it doesnt come in a big bag.
Old May 11th, 2016, 06:45 PM

Pc Nutrition First Grain Free Salmon and Potato

Is it ok to feed the Salmon and potato to A six month old golden doodle?