Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old September 13th, 2004, 09:53 PM

Question Litter/Pad Training Chihuahua

We have our first puppy. We took him to training and he graduated from basic obedience but he is having trouble with housebreaking. Currently we have a litter box just for him set up with "dog litter" underneath the wee wee pad as directed by the litter company to get him used to the feel of it. We want him to be litter trained but he has not been 100% successful yet on the pad training. We need suggestions. Should we start from scratch with crate training (which we did not do) or should we just build on what we have been doing. He is stationed in the livingroom and we give treats/positive reinforcement when he uses the pad but now he goes in the pad and rustles it then hops out looking for his reward!!! We tried letting him run free but he just urinated/deficated everywhere! Also, we do not know what to do with him at night. He sleeps with us but because he is not fully trained there are always little messes on our bedroom floor! He barks and whines if we try to leave him alone at night and we rent a duplex - so we go get him so that we do not get in trouble. What should we do?! He will be 10 months old on October 6, 2004 and we NEED to have him trained by his first birthday because we know he can do it!
Old September 13th, 2004, 10:36 PM

Others will have more specific information, but I say try crate training... If you use a kennel cab, you can easily move it into your bedroom at night, since that is where he is used to sleeping. My toy poodle was in our room in his kennel cab, but we have moved him out into the common room, by moving his kennel slowly out of our room (about a foot a night!!!) That way he didn't have to go through major upset and we didn't have to put up with a crying puppy. I'm not sure if what you want is to housebreak him, or just litterbox train him... what's wrong with the pee pads themselves? Is your house really big? I think our small apt. is part of the reason that Casey was able to housebreak quickly (with pee pads). Good luck!

(is this post as incoherent as I feel it is? sorry!!!)
Old September 16th, 2004, 05:03 PM

House Set Up

Just to answer your question - We have the top level of a split entry home. We have a large open space that is our livingroom/diningroom which opens to our kitchen and a hall and the three bedrooms. All of the rooms are laminate floor except the livingroom/diningroom (carpet) and the kitchen/bath (linoleum).
Old December 10th, 2004, 03:41 PM

Litter Training a Puppy

Hi I was just wondering if you got anywhere with the litter training, I would like to litter train my pup as well. If anyone has any suggestions on how this is done.
Old December 14th, 2004, 01:51 AM

My guys are all pad trained as I live on the seventh floor of an apartment with a very slow elevator. I take them out to go to the bathroom but they know that they can go on the pad.

What I did in the beginning was put out a huge area of pads (I just laid them out on the floor). After meal times, I'd spend time with the dogs on the pad and wait for them to go to the bathroom. Whenever they went, I'd praise them like they won the noble peace prize or something. Eventually, I let them be on their own after mealtimes and they would always go on the pad. Then, slowly, I would start to put down less pads so they would have to go in a smaller area. If they had an accident off the pad, I'd go back to a little larger area. Now, with four small dogs, they all go to the bathroom on three pads. I've even changed apartments and they still only go on the pads.

I don't bother using the pad holders as it is much easier to grab a wad of tissue, pick up the pad and toss it out the window (kidding, but I sometimes think about it). I then take my handy dandy mop and pass over the area with a mixture of bleach and water and voila! Ready for new pads.

Oh yeah, if your dog has an accident where you don't want them to go, you have to make sure you super clean that area. Even though you think you've cleaned it, the dog can still smell it and will be inclined to go there again.
SoJu - Shi Tzu
Cafri - Pint Size Dalmation
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:45 AM

Question help with pad training?

hi im a new chi owner and am trying to crate And pad train my baby ricco, he is being crated at night and is bed wetting .has anyone solved this problem? i have thought about getting him a pen and a double door crate so he has a seperate pad area, he is only 8.5 weeks so i do not expect him to hold all night yet,has anyone done this o should i get up every 3 hours???
i know that sounds extreme but i want him to develope good behavior for the long road.Thanks id appreciate any one who could help with advice Thanks
Old November 13th, 2008, 07:46 AM

you should get up every 3 hours... that's what we did with Georges... it was easy since my boyfriend go to bed late and i get up early so he took Georges out arounf 1 or 2 in the morning and i was up at 6 am to do the same... now 2 1/2 months later, Georges is 20 weeks old and sleep all thru the night... sometimes from 10pm to 6 or 7 am. On the other side... Georges never peed in is crate...
Old November 20th, 2008, 08:26 AM

Another solution is to set up an area and line it with peepads and a baby gate. Mine absolutely hated the kennel so I moved her to a smaller area lined with peepads and a bed. No more crazy whining and crying and she wakes up and goes on her own and hops back to bed.