Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old September 7th, 2010, 08:39 PM

Help

Hey there I just joined this site. I have A LOT of medical problems with my dog and was hoping I could find people who may be going through the same kind of thing with their dog who could give me a bit of advice. My dog has an auto Immune disease and her immune system is attacking her blood cells. She has had a blood transfusion and is now on VERY expensive meds that I am barely scraping the money together for. I have been trying a cheaper kind but she seems to be getting a bit worse. So, if by chance anyone can help it would be gladly appreciated.

Thank you
Old September 8th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry I have no advice to offer you in regards to you dog, but welcome to the board and I hope you can find some answers. Good luck to you with your pup.
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jford7 View Post
Hey there I just joined this site.

My dog has an auto Immune disease and her immune system is attacking her blood cells. She has had a blood transfusion and is now on VERY expensive meds that I am barely scraping the money together for. I have been trying a cheaper kind but she seems to be getting a bit worse. So, if by chance anyone can help it would be gladly appreciated.

Thank you
Hi there, and welcome to the board
I have a puppy with an autoimmune disorder as well. They still aren't sure exactly what's wrong with him, but I understand the stress over cost and the frustration of not getting definitive answers (at least in my case) or the results you are hoping for. I can't offer any advice as my baby seems to have different problems and grand mal seizures (possible eosinophilic syndrome, which the vet related to what a person with Lupus would have), but I will send alot of and that your pup heals.

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

I do not know if the meds are people meds but if they are maybe if you have a drug plan the vet could put them in your name or if he just puts your last name on the prescription because the same drugs in drug stores are a lot cheaper than the vet. I know the antibiotics I used to give Bud were 5.00 a pill at the vet and 2.90 at the drug store.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old September 8th, 2010, 11:52 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Helo Jford7.

So sorry you are going through this. There was a member who had a thread going on about his beloved Sway. Sway had an autoimmune disease that attacked his red blood cells.

Here is a link to that thread:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42910

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 10th, 2010, 05:24 PM

Thank you all for he advice and input I appreciate all of it! My dog does have the auto Immune disease that attacks her red blood cells as well. I found out a couple days ago that the most expensive and most crucial medicine the Atopica is on back order till next year and that is truly the only thing that kept her blood count where it should be now on the generic I can tell it is dropping by the color of her gums. I go in next week for the blood test so I I will see for sure then.