Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 9th, 2010, 12:53 PM

Zelda is trippin'!

Here's what's going on with Zelda, my 5 year old female calico:

She started hallucinating - seeing things on the floor in front of her feet that weren't there. Snapping at them with her mouth, tail twitching back and forth violently, with period of manic licking at her arms and tail. Licklicklicklicklick. Then back to the invisible things on the ground.

Took her to emerg vet who said she needed some time alone and was just a bit stressed. Next morning, she peed on my roommate's purse and shoes, so back to the vet who diagnosed her with a mild UTI and elevated WBC count. So we medicated her with Clavamox and dewormed her.

Took her off the meds after 8 of 10 days because she was pooping all over the house, dragging her butt across the floor and furniture. It was pretty runny, so I started giving her some probiotics which solidified the poop, but unfortunately it was still on my bed, and she peed on the couch five times in a week, once right in front of me.

I replaced her Feliway diffuser, and there have been no more urine incidents, knock on wood, but I came home yesterday afternoon and there were four piles of poop on the kitchen floor, and my roommate called me at work around 9:30 to tell me that she was freaking out, running faster than she'd ever seen a cat run all over the house, pooping EVERYWHERE, on the furniture, etc, and even dragging her bum along the coffee table right in front of my roommate, and throwing up in a couple places. My roommate gave her some wet food, which she loves ever since I started crushing the Clavamox into it, and after that she apparently calmed down.

However, she has been in that hallucinatory state pretty much consistently, unless she's sleeping, since yesterday.

My vet is at a total loss, and is considering anti-anxiety meds.

Zelda has always been a fairly high-anxiety cat - she likes to hiss, growls frequently, but is still a very affectionate, brave and loving cat.

So.
Any ideas?
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Could she be in pain? Has she ever been constipated?

Did the vet check her anal glands? When Jasper's anal glands were infected his WBC count was high, he hated using the litterbox (I assume he associated it with pain). And he would run from it and get poop all over the house

However, he did not act like he was hallucinating. I do have cats that will get the zoomies and almost seems like they are playing with something imaginary.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:09 PM

The vet checked her anal gland at the same time as the UTI was diagnosed, but she hasn't been to the vet since, and the pooping only started after she'd been on the UTI meds for about a week. But that's kinda how it looks, she poops somewhere and then runs away from it at top speed. The hallucinatory periods often correlate with the pooping - they usually go hand in hand.
Old September 9th, 2010, 01:52 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Has she been tested for Feline Hyperesthesia (FHS)?

http://www.petplace.com/cats/feline-...sia/page1.aspx

http://ezinearticles.com/?Feline-Hyp...ome&id=3211294

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old September 9th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Holy Smokes , I have never heard of this.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old October 3rd, 2010, 03:23 PM

have you been home alot lately? if not maybe she misses you? when i'm not home for a long time my cat gets back at me by peeing on towels or in my bed.