Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 30th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Separating cats?

I have never had a cat before, my husband had three before we were married which currently live with his Dad.

The cats are mother cat (aged 10) and daughter and son cat (aged about 7)

My question is do you think they would cope if we adopted one as FIL is struggling to look after all three or would it be cruel to separate them?

Having never had a cat before I am not keen on having all three of them!

Thanks for your advice.
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:03 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Do you know if you are/aren't allergic to cats? That is #1 priority as it would be cruel to the cats to adopt one or all three and then have to turn around and give them back again. Cats need structure in their lives. Not upheaval. Have you spent time with the cats to find out how you are with them?

Is there a reason you can't take all three? Is it only because you have never had cats before and therefore don't know what to expect that you only want one of them? The cats are not young so would spend the majority of time sleeping. Cats tend to do that. Really, three are not any different than one. In fact they will keep each other company.
Are all three fixed?
Are any of them bonded? As in do they spend more time with one than the other. If one seems to be off on it's own all the time while the other two hang together then your best bet, if you are insisting on only one, is to take the loner.
Seriously though, I would take all of them.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:11 PM

Thanks for your reply.

I have spent time with them and have not had any problems with allergy. I also lived in a house with a cat for 6months about 6yrs ago so I presume any allergy would have shown up but thanks for the question I hadn't even thought about allergy!

Yes just thinking of one because I don't know what to expect and also the cost of vaccinations, food etc

By fixed I guess that means spayed/neutered - yes they are now!

I don't think they are particularly close but I've never been with them full time just visiting so I can't be sure - I would hate to upset them by separating them,
Old August 30th, 2010, 04:49 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Ok so, some more questions. Are they indoor/outdoor cats or indoor only? I don't know what the rules are there but at their ages it may not be necessary for them to have shots every year. If they have had regular shots up to now ask for a titer test to be done to see if they are ok to not have their regular shots.
Here the shots really aren't that expensive. Again, I'm not sure what ones your cat(s) need.
Thinking about allergies is actually what I wished more people would do. It is the number one reason cats get dumped/rehomed/taken to the shelter. Most cases are very mild and can be dealt with simply but it is so much easier to take a pet they say they love and get rid of it.
Yes I meant s/n. Thank you. I take it when you say "they are now." they weren't for quite a while.
If they are not particularly close then you could probably get away with only taking one. But really, if they have been together their whole lives separating them is not ideal. Coming up with the money for the vet would be fairly simple if you put aside a few dollars a week in a separate bank account. Then when they need the vet the money is there. As for food, yes, it can be costly. Look around for a good quality canned food that is grain/corn free, by product free, and has meat that is actually named and not just called meat. It may cost a bit more but down the road it will be worth it healthwise. With three adult cats you could probably get away with about a can and a half a day if it is a large can.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old August 30th, 2010, 08:40 PM

Ask your FIL which cat would be good to go with you.