Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 11th, 2004, 10:19 AM
Senior Contributor

Please Remember

Today is September 11. Please take a moment to remember all of those lost in the terrorist attack 3 years ago and those that have been lost since.
Old September 11th, 2004, 10:39 AM
Senior Contributor

God Bless the families, friends and loved ones that have lost someone on 9/11. May your happy memories of those lost last forever.
Old September 11th, 2004, 01:52 PM

Here is a poem I wrote about September 11 on the 1 year anniversary of the attacks. To all of the men and women who continue to fight against terrorism, your courage and sacrafice is beyond words. Thank you......
To my friend Jerome who is in the US Army and being deployed to Iraq next March, I love you and may God keep you, your wife Eunice, and son Livan safe.....

9/11
There is a sadness in the air
That can be felt everywhere you turn.
We felt it that fateful day in September,
When the first tower was hit, and began to burn.

There is a feeling of terror in the air
That plagues us every single day.
How can we forget what happened?
We can't, we won't, there is just no way.

To those who lost their loved ones,
It is hard to imagine your grief.
But in the wake of this great tragedy,
We are turning over a new leaf.

With courage, compassion, and understanding,
We face the hatred amongst us all.
As one we will unite to triumph,
And as one, we will fight them all.
Old September 11th, 2004, 03:09 PM

WOW!! I cant beleive its already been 3 years since the 9/11 tragedy!! Thanks for the reminder LavenderRott. Very beautiful poem heeler's rock.
Old September 11th, 2004, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I have only visited Manhattan once. That was in 1998. I absolutely fell in love with the city. I promised myself that some day I would live there, even if it was short period of time. There is something about that place that has grabbed a piece of my heart and has never let go.
I will never forget the day that this tragedy took place; such devistation. I felt heartache and loss that I never thought I could feel for a place and people that I never even met. Still to this day I cry when seeing images, hearing stories and think of the innocent lives lost.

I will forever remember the heros that put others ahead of themselves and were running up the towers while others were running away. These people run into harms way on a daily basis for others. Unfortunately it took such a horrible day for people to really appreciate what they do for us on a daily basis. One other group that did not receive a lot of coverage was the search and rescue dogs.

These dogs that were there for hours upon hours, searching for people that they never met, just like the police and fire rescuers.
I once heard a story about these special dogs, if it's true or not I don't know. Apparently they are allowed to search only for a couple people at a time. When they find someone that has passed they become very depressed and it's difficult for the to continue searching. A person from the crew hides to the dog can find them alive and lift their spirits, then they can continue with the search.

The attached link is that of photos of those dogs that were there to find someone's loved one. special dogs.
Old September 11th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Thank u for this thread it's especially worthy to those who've suffered closely in their heart. Things like this affect us all but I cannot begin to imagine the amount of pain and suffering that goes through others lives being directly affected by this terror.

God Bless
Old September 11th, 2004, 08:24 PM
banned user

I received this movie in an email.... take a look, it's really touching.

http://www.fdnylodd.com/BloodofHeroes.html
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Three years ago I served on Jury Duty on 9/11. I watched the news coverage down in the jury room in the courthouse basement. It seemed appropriate to be there somehow. It was so hard when I was called to be on the jury and couldn't watch any more until our break for lunch and then again when we ended for the day. It will always be one of those days we'll always remember.
Old September 11th, 2004, 09:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the link. I sat here sobbing when I saw the picture of the woman that jumped from the window. My SO, who hates to see me cry, said "well, baby, don't watch it if it hurts that bad."

I have to watch it. I want it to hurt. I don't ever EVER EVER want to forget!
Old September 11th, 2004, 10:02 PM
Senior Contributor

I'll never forget standing in my living room, watching what looked like a special effects Hollywood blockbuster movie, and being stupified with shock and horror. Then I knew what the saying "I can't believe my eyes" really means cause I could NOT take in what I was seeing.

So many innocent lives taken for nothing.
Old September 11th, 2004, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,it was a day I'll never forget,I could not believe what I was seeing..and I cried for all those innocent souls leaving for work in the morning,never to come back home
It's a scary world today especially for the soldiers in Iraq and their families,I wonder if they sometimes ask themselves why they are there,why 1.000+young men and women have died? For what??
Old September 11th, 2004, 10:18 PM

I remember September 11, 2001. I was getting ready for work, I was in my 2nd week of training. I was walking down to the basement and my mom had the TV on, which she usually never does. I remember looking at the screen and there was one of the world trade towers on fire...I thought there was a freak accident!! My mom said they suspected terrorists. Then we saw the second plane come outta nowhere, and hit the second tower....I was at work watching as the towers crumbled and people ran for their lives...it's so hard not being able to help and just watching the suffering!!! When I heard about the pentagon, I immediately thought about my friend Jerome. Thankfully, he wasn't there at the time. He helped with the clean up though and said the devastation was unimaginable. God rest their souls......
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Crusader

I always have to Take a Deep Breath when i think back of one of the longest days in my life... i normaly never talk about what happend but i remember being there and then seeing the event's unfold before my eyes.. what a tragedy..LuckyRescue is right about how it looked like something you'd see in blockbuster movie... being right there and not being able to phone anyone in Canada made me feel so lost.. the walk from the Tribeca area on West Broadway Street and then Navigating my way through Manhattan to the Queensbough bridge and over was a LONG one.....what a sad day in history..
i can still remember the feeling.. i am glad i am alive, my condolences to the families of the people whom have lost their lives....
Old September 11th, 2004, 11:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank you Lavender for posting this I have watched a lot of footage today and the scenes still move me to tears. I will never forget that day! I am lucky that I didn't know anyone personally that was lost that day, but feel as if I know each one in some ways.

Thank you Heeler's for sharing your poem....very touching.

Thank you to all the other's that posted thoughts, it was a sad day for all.