Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 10th, 2004, 02:20 PM
Deb and Fred

Question Biting dog

Hi Everyone,
We recently added a doberman male pup to our animal family, although it may only be temporary... We already have a chow-husky (5 month old female) named Gaby and we adore her. The problem is that she bites when playing and is very possesive of her things. Last night she bit our 18 month old son and we had to rush him to the clinic (he's OK, no stitches). We didn't see it happen and it really could have been either dog, but Gaby was the one chewing on a bone the last we checked and she does nip once in awhile. My question is, should we keep her or find her another home? I am torn because she is a sweet puppy that deserves lots of love, but my children will always come first. I am worried it may be in the breed and that I will not be able to trust her again... Any comments would be appreciated,
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:39 PM
Senior Contributor

I"m so sorry your baby was hurt!

If you didn't see the incident, that means the baby and dog were left alone? Dogs and kids must never be left alone and dogs do not see babies and toddlers the same way they see adults.

The puppy was no doubt protecting her food, and a bone is a very high value treat that most dogs will defend against kids or other animals. Yes, chows can be wary or aggressive with strangers, but are usually loyal and good with their families.

If this puppy is otherwise sweet and good natured, I would make sure baby and dog are not left alone and if you want to give your puppy a bone, she can have it in her crate or behind a gate to keep everyone safe.

I also strongly advise obedience classes for this puppy. What kind of nipping do you mean? Is in in play, or done aggressively, and what causes it?
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:48 PM
Deb and Fred

Thanks for the info... Baby and pup were not meant to be alone, my hubby fell asleep on the couch while i was working in the basement. Gaby usually nips in playfulness, but I did catch her being agressive with my son once when he approached her cage, excited to wake her up! What do you think?
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:54 PM

I think your pup needs to learn her place in the family heirarchy. Please consider enrolling her in an obedience class right away.
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:58 PM
Deb and Fred

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writing4Fun
I think your pup needs to learn her place in the family heirarchy. Please consider enrolling her in an obedience class right away.
Ant suggestions on which obedience school is best and least expensive? I am in the Montreal area.
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Least expensive isn't always best, and training is invaluable.

Here is a school I believe is good, although I have not been there myself.
4Paws

Where in Montreal are you? I know of an excellent trainer in the Hudson area.
Old September 10th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Deb and Fred

Red face

I am from the South Shore, specifically Chateauguay... When I say least expensive, I mean we're on a budget!!!
I just read something about taking pups too young.... We got Gaby from a woman up North... Her Siberian had a litter under the porch and my hubby "rescued" her at 5 weeks old. Maybe this is another cause for her agression?
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes, 5 weeks old...could be part of the problem, but can't say for sure. As I said, chows can be suspicious of strangers, and the nipping may just be puppy stuff.

The obedience class I took was about 125$ for 6 or 7 sessions and I found it to be money very well spent.

It will help socialize your puppy, and you will learn how to handle and train her. A good trainer can also advise you on any problems.

Just look for someone who uses positive and not punitive methods. A good way is to ask to sit on the sidelines, without your dog, and watch a class. If you like what you see, you can sign up!
Old September 10th, 2004, 10:39 PM

Excellent advice! Do you know where I could find one in my area? Much appreciated.