Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old September 10th, 2004, 01:45 PM

Cell dogs!

The other night while watching T.V. (not a frequent pastime I might add) I was fourtunate enough to tune into a program on satellite all about different prisons in the U.S. where inmates are selected to work on a program helping dogs from the various rescue services and sorting out these dogs problems giving the dogs the oppertunity to be put up for rehomeing which would not have been possible with thier previous behaviours.These prisoners are allowed to live with thier charges and have to take responsibilty for all thier needs 24/7.This idea is really a two way thing as the prisoners get to find things in themselves that they didnt know they had to give,And in return besides doing a worthwhile thing giving these otherwise unhomeable dogs a new life,They got unconditional love back from thier dogs.I am by no means a sympathetic do gooder who belittles criminals and thier crimes but I found this a very clever use of two hopeless situations a human with lots of time on thier hands and mans best friends just needing some time and attention.What a marvelous scheme and brilliant idea this is just wish we had similar over this side of the pond!
Old September 10th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw that documentary. It was excellent and a great idea, especially if you listened to the imates before the pets then the change in them after taking care of the animals. I agree we need something like this here as well
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:08 PM

I was also very impressed with one of the facts stated after showing the young offenders institution that out of 300 offenders who had passed through this program that not one single case of reoffending was found ! Wow big statement but great to hear if its true
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:28 PM
Crusader

humm dang i missed that documentary...but it does remind me of the recent incident "Dog's Fluffy Love Stops Man From Killing Spree in Toronto"

dog's do have that uncanning ability to change people's mind..
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

I think that it aired on TLC or Animal Planet. I also believe doing something like this with young offenders as with other inmates would probably make for less reoffending and more loving and compassionate people.
Old September 10th, 2004, 02:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Cell Dogs is a regular series on animal planet every week
Old September 10th, 2004, 06:09 PM
Senior Contributor

and for the very young or juvinille offenders this may just be a mjr break through in technique. it has been proven time and again if these kids feel like they matter to someone or something and that they are needed it goes along way to helping them not reoffend, if they can feel a sense of worth and identity. a bit of love can go a long way...what a ruddy good idea, three cheers to the inventor of this great idea......
Old September 10th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw that too quiet a while ago..There was this BIG man just about crying when he had to say goodbye to the dog he had been taking care of,I think it's a fantastic idea.I've seen inmates in another prison taking care of cats,also from shelters.
Old September 11th, 2004, 02:14 AM

Wow, that's great!!! I think that this kind of "thinking outside of the box" is exactly what justice systems across the world have to do. Punishment may seem satisfying, but the society usually pays for this in the long run. Pets have amazing emotional healing abilities and the dogs and the inmates and society can all benefit from such a program.
Old September 11th, 2004, 07:05 AM
banned user

The inmates have to have a year of good behavior to qualify for the program. I find it fascinating that it provides incentive for them, where often times, all else fails. In an environment where you have to survive by showing your worst/toughest side, this is remarkable.
Old September 11th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Senior Contributor

I too saw this show a long time ago I thought it to be an amazing way to deal with the inmates, gives them some responsibility and to the young offenders this is what they need. I think it to be an excellent idea
Old September 14th, 2004, 12:38 AM
~Cat Servent~

Ya really!!! Programs like that should be everywhere....it not only teaches those that are incarcerated responsibility for lives other than their own but also gives those animals another chance! I think it's an especially great idea after talking to just about all my local shelters and hearing how over-flowing they all are with unwanted animals!

The inmates are the perfect "foster" parents!!! (Well maybe not all inmates, but for the most part I'm sure.)

Oh and the one I saw was at a woman's prison where the lady was teaching the dog to be an epileptic/seizure warning dog...that was cool...man have they got a sixth sense or what!?

Last edited by krdahmer; September 14th, 2004 at 12:40 AM. Reason: more
Old September 17th, 2004, 09:08 AM

Heck, I saw that too, and was impressed. The dogs were treated very well, and fortunately they get to go to good homes. Shaggy, he was my favorite!