Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 26th, 2010, 01:09 PM

Cat Wants to Go Out..

Hi Guys,

My little guy wants to go out desperately, I honestly don't want him going out because I know he'll probably end up getting sick, a lot of people in this area use chemicals on the garden. Anyway the problem is he constantly whines about it (meowing loudly), he's already been neutered.. Hes about 1yrs and 3months old..

Anyone know what I should do about it?
Old July 26th, 2010, 01:23 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Have you made sure he has lots of indoor stimulation? Lots of toys to play with, a scratching post or two, a large cat condo to play on and, more than anything, a playmate.
You could try taking him out on a leash and harness. Just be aware that cats can slip harnesses pretty easily. All it takes is a few adept movements and they are out.
Another cat would give him a playmate to amuse himself. But, if you do that you have to make sure you do the introductions properly. A good site for that is: http://www.squidoo.com/multi-cat-management. There is also http://www.messybeast.com/first-impressions.htm. Both are excellent starting points.
Thank you for thinking of his safety first. I wish more cat owners did.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 26th, 2010, 03:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Cat Wants to

Another option would be to build a outside cat run. Something with an upper and lower level and a cover. There is a page called CatStuff: Cat run which has some good ideas.
Old July 26th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

No! No! and No! thats what I think? If you look into some of the things suggested you will have a much happier kitty!

Stick with your instincts to not let them out and they will get over it. Mine did it too for awhile and then stopped...that was almost 15 yrs ago....and besides I could never stand the thought of my animal getting hit by a car or any of the outside dangers!!

Good Luck

Cindy
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old July 26th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Catlover2

Occasionally there are kitties like yours, that just reeeaallly want to go outside. When he starts whining, I would distract him by throwing a toy or a foil ball or something to get his attention away from the door. If he's one of those cats who rush the door trying to squeeze by, try stamping your feet as you open door and go out. If he's going to the door, sitting there whining you could get a motion activated spray to put by the door---called SSSCAT! It also works to keep cats off counters or any other place you don't want them to be. It has the advantage of them not associating you spaying them. Hope something works for him. Please don't give in and let him out. I had an indoor/outdoor cat who at 17 yrs. was attacked by two dogs. He had fallen asleep under a big spruce tree. When I heard the commotion one of the dogs was swinging him like a hammer thrower. I managed to chase the dogs off, but they had fractured very badly his hind leg. He had surgery with a plate in his leg, was in pain and detested being confined in a dog crate. This was a time when they didn't give pain meds post-surgery. After a week, he had a heart attack and died. It was a sad day for the whole family.
Old July 26th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Please don't let your cat outside free, supervised and harnessed or in a cat enclosure is fine, but not free. It would be no different than letting your child run the streets .

If you do harness, then your kitty will need constant supervision, like 14+ stated, they can get out easily and it only takes a second.

I do believe that cats benefit from the stimulation of being outside. The fresh air and relief of the boredom from being inside will do them a world of good.

If you do decide to try the harness, there are a lot of members that can give you some tips to help you out.

good luck.

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:01 PM

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I actually have another cat, my older cat is 4 1/2yrs old, she absolutely hates him :P. I actually bought a laser pointer a couple days ago, it was great for a few days, but hes bored with it now most of the time.. I can't let him go out, but I will probably get him some more toys.. I've got him mice toys before, also have a scratching post.. But still insists on going out.. yeowling quite a bit daily..

Anyway hopefully the new toys will help..

If you guys can suggest a toy that would also be great..
Old July 29th, 2010, 11:47 PM
Catlover2

Teaser toys most cats like, but you have to play with him. Cats love cardboard boxes to jump in and out of, foil/paper balls to bat around, bird feeders outside where they have a good view of the birds are fascinating to them, an acquarium with some fish, and of course another cat....that's the best boy of all. 2 cats or more are always better than 1. they keep themselves amused. Have you considered a kitten?