Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old June 19th, 2010, 04:36 PM

My dog pees when over my girlfriends

My 7 year old well trained dog pees when we spend time over at my girlfriends home. We are there every weekend and some weekdays.And have been for several months now. She only pees when she is left alone in the house. And now she has pooped too! She NEVER pees at my house even when she is left alone for several hours.
I feel that she should be used to her surroundings at her house by now.
And suggestions on how to get her to stop this?
Old June 20th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog pees

Several months is not a long time for her to adjust but you could go back to basics and crate train her.
Old June 20th, 2010, 10:02 PM

Yes i suppose but she has NEVER pee'd at the my house even when left alone for 8 hours... I guess the new surrounding is a bit much for her. . My gf used to have another dog and currenty has a cat.. not sure if that has anything to do with her peeing..It is very very frustrating for me
Old June 21st, 2010, 06:13 PM
Senior Contributor

My dog pees

There could be lingering odour from your gf's last dog or perhaps her cat has marked certain areas. A really good cleaning with an industrial odour remover might do the trick.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:53 PM
Floppy Dog

Your dog might be feeling insecure. Have you tried bringing a favourite toy and pillow or blanket with you when you visit your GF? Also, a shirt that you have worn works too.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.
Old June 28th, 2010, 08:02 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

I think she his stressed because this is not her home and she is worried you may not come back for her. You are leaving her is a strange place.
I think you are going to have to condition her to your coming and going in your girlfriends home. This is the same treatment for separation anxiety. You need to come and go a lot so that she is reassured that you are always going to come back.
The best thing to do is to start getting her used to you leaving and coming back. We like to pretend that we have a project outside but all of our tools are inside. So we go out (with keys and jacket), and then opps, forgot something inside. Do not say hello, or greet her in any manner - don't even look at her. Get your pretend tool and leave again. Each time make the time you are gone a little longer. At first she will be all over you when you enter, over time she will become desensitized to it and barely get up when you come in. You want to keep at it until she doesn't get up to greet you at all. This could take all day or and hour. Be sure not to say good-bye or hello as you come and go.
You may need to do it for several days so that she understands that you always come back.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:32 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

If there used to be a dog in the home and there is now a cat I would be doing a very thorough cleaning using an enzyme based pet cleaner. Your dog may be reacting to the previous dog leaving it's smells behind. You can find the cleaners at a good pet store. Nature's Miracle or something stronger will neutralize the smell left by the dog.
Also - your gf's cat. How were they introduced? Were they just put together and expected to work things out or did you do a proper introduction with separation in different rooms, etc? That is essential in having a good relationship between the two entities. It is hard to say what is going on with your dog and cat while you and your gf are not around. Are they separated? Different rooms, ect?
Here is a site to read on introducing cats and dogs.
http://www.petuniversity.com/cats/be...s-and-dogs.htm

How does your dog react when your gf comes to your place? It could be she is jealous of your gf as well. After all, they are both female. Don't laugh. It happens. That may take time and effort on your part to fix. You have to show your dog that you still love her as well as your gf. Give her lots of attention and love while there.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!