Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 13th, 2010, 12:11 PM

Free to good home dogs

I really just need to get this off my chest...

I read so much about people bashing owners who give away free animals
and how horrible their lives end up and how everyone taking a free dog has horrible intentions or just want it cause it's free ...

really?
I adopted my dalmatian a year ago she was 3 .. she was also extremely over weight and then we find out she has hip dysplaisia...
I still have her and I still keep in contact with her old owners sending them pictures and updates every month or 2.. we are also currently looking for another dog.. again a free dog.. I wouldn't pay for a dog .. why would I when soo many are free then I can put my money into my pets..

so here is a problem
the owners
dumping off their pets ...
hardly any of them are truthful .. they want the animal gone so they don't tell you about any issue the dog may have physical or behavioral heck people even lie about the age..
so these people take the free dog and get it home and turns out it doesn't like kids .. or it isn't leash trained. or it isn't house trained... and there it goes shipped off to a shelter or another home

I think if owners take the time to place the dog in an appropriate home suited to its needs.. not as many free to good home dogs would wind up abused or in shelters ... I mean ya its free and a lot of times not fixed so there is a cash cow for puppy mills .. but again it goes to the owner to go look at the peoples house, check references.. make sure they do have a vet make sure you have names and address and check up on the pet do a surprise visit .. make sure it's being cared for, make sure your dog is going somewhere suitable for it's needs.. you can't 100% protect your animal when rehoming it but you can make an effort
and people should stop bashing the people who take free dogs a lot of them are not bad
Old June 13th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Senior Contributor

ummmm free dogs are not alwaysa bad or good thing. I know with myself, I do small dog rescue. I get the throw aways that may be sick, old or have house training issues. I have rehomed about 20 dogs so far this year. My cost so far? About $2,000. My charge for the dogs to pre-approved new parents. Zip. Nada, not a dime. My heart warming up, when I get the neglected older dog into a loving home...Priceless. I see all my pups on a regular basis, they are seen buy my vet and they use the groomers I suggest. Not one has been returned to me. And I can account for any of them. These dogs are loved. BUT, there are not so caring people out there that will "adopt" a free dog for many horrific reasons.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old June 13th, 2010, 11:27 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

What the issues are with "Free to good home" ads have nothing to do with situations like yours. In fact I commend you for the wonderful job you have done with your girl.
Unfortunately free to good home ads sometimes get people who are looking for animals they can turn around and sell to laboratories; sometimes (at least in the case of kittens) to be used for snake food or dog bait (training for fighting, etc); sometimes to be brought home, played with until the kids get tired of the work that goes along with the pet, and then tied outside to be virtually forgotten. Or again with cats - put outside to fend for themselves 'cause that's what cats are good at doing.
Those are the reasons, plus many more, why most of us hate seeing "free to good home".

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 14th, 2010, 09:10 AM
-

"Cocoa" came to live with us from a 'free to good home' ad in the local paper.....I was reading the paper on a Sunday morning and saw the ad for a Terrier cross, I missed having a Terrier in the home. I said to Pepe "see if she is scruffy, if she is, bring her home"...He did, boy was she scruffy alright ....She was with us for 14 1/2 years.

That being said, the man just handed her over to Pepe without coming to see where she would be living, just taking Pepe's word for it...she could have been coming to live in a hellhole for all he knew.

Name:  Beauty pic of Cocoa.jpg
Views: 107
Size:  66.4 KB

Old June 14th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Senior Contributor

As a former Animal Protection Officer, I have to say I hate free to good homes ads. While it would be great for the people who are giving away their pets to follow up, etc...but the majority do not. It usually is can you provide a good home...while the prepective owner says yes..ok here you go and they hand over the animal.

The reality is that when giving animals away free, you are more then likely to get the people who do not have the best intentions for that animal. Like 14Kitties has already stated. I have seen this first hand.

People need to spay and neuter their pets.

Last edited by NoahGrey; June 14th, 2010 at 09:30 AM.
Old June 14th, 2010, 10:05 AM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post

The reality is that when giving animals away free, you are more then likely to get the people who do not have the best intentions for that animal. Like 14Kitties has already stated.
Exactly , many of them are "re sold" to either not so good pet owners or worse , to puppy millers. And that's the majority.
Old June 14th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoahGrey View Post
As a former Animal Protection Officer, I have to say I hate free to good homes ads. While it would be great for the people who are giving away their pets to follow up, etc...but the majority do not. It usually is can you provide a good home...while the prepective owner says yes..ok here you go and they hand over the animal.

The reality is that when giving animals away free, you are more then likely to get the people who do not have the best intentions for that animal. Like 14Kitties has already stated. I have seen this first hand.

People need to spay and neuter their pets.
I agree and my girl was free and as I said im still in contact with the owners
we get our second dog tomorrow ( or supposed to) a great pyrenees x puppy 6 month old.. not free she is $100 ( I don't mind paying adoption fee since she is utd with shots) AGAIN another owner I will be keeping in contact with

there is people who take free dogs and cats that have good intentions

the reason I wanted free dogs wasn't because I can't afford one but because there is SOOOO many good dogs just being tossed away...

I have gone and met with several dogs and talked to 50+ people with free dogs or dogs under $200
and almost all of them say " you can have come get it before someone else does"
and they don't care to find out about what type of home I offer or what I feed them or if I have a vet or experience.
and those people are wrong . and shouldn't own animals to begin with

2 times I have adopted a free dog and was lied to by the owner.. one ended up being very sick and had to be put down 2 months after I got it and the other turned out to have severe aggression to men and I had no choice to rehome it

I have heard many many stories like this where owners lie to just pass off their dogs and these poor dogs get rehomed and rehomed and rehomed until they end up in a shelter or abused or worse.

I got a lot of hate mail when I posted my add saying looking for free dog ( or under $200 if utd on shots)

people called me a puppy mill, and that I am too poor to own dogs and that I want them for re sell ........
those kind of judgments are completely uncalled for, as anyone who has looked at my albums can tell my girl is very well looked after.

not ALL people who take free animals have bad intentions

I really just wanted to make a point of that
Old June 14th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm glad your pups ended up in your home .

Quote:
Originally Posted by princess_bunny View Post
2 times I have adopted a free dog and was lied to by the owner.. one ended up being very sick and had to be put down 2 months after I got it and the other turned out to have severe aggression to men and I had no choice to rehome it

I have heard many many stories like this where owners lie to just pass off their dogs and these poor dogs get rehomed and rehomed and rehomed until they end up in a shelter or abused or worse.
These are some of the major reasons I advise people I know against getting pets from free to good home ads (especially people who have no dog/cat experience). You never know what you're getting into, whether you're dealing with serious illness or worse, severe aggression. Many rescues and shelters' adoption fees range from as low as 50$ (that I've seen in the US) to 300-400$. Included in the adoption fee is a full veterinary check up (often blood tests and x-rays), vaccinations, de-worming, and spay/neuters. In addition, you'll at least have an idea to the temperament of the pet. A bonus (I'm a little biased ) is that those animals coming from foster homes are behaviorally assessed within a home environment and any issues usually reveal themselves, and are addressed rather quickly. You shouldn't have any surprises thrown your way. Oh, nearly forgot to add that adoption counseling is also often available. People who are inexperienced may not realize that the animal they choose is not the right match for their family situation and lifestyle. How much better can it get ?

Adopting from a rescue/shelter is quite a bargain in the sense that all aforementioned paid by a new family would cost much more...and not only in monetary value. I'm sure it broke your heart, princess_bunny, when your first dog had to be euthanised and the second had to be re-homed...again. As much as I love animals, it pains me greatly to see so many loving people with lasting heartaches from horrible experiences.