Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 20th, 2010, 09:24 AM

Tried canine cooling vests?

Has anyone tried any of the canine "cooling vests" that are on the market?

I didn't know if there even was such a thing, but I've been thinking about something like this for a few days, since it started getting above 20 degrees celsius.

My two dogs don't do well in the heat - one has hypothyroidism, and the other is a Shar Pei. They're OK if I walk them early in the morning, but I have to wait until at least 7:00 p.m. to walk them in the evening, and even then, after five minutes their tongues are hanging out and they're wanting to drink from puddles. On the weekends, I'm reluctant to take them outside in the middle of the day, because they don't last long before getting tired and hot.

I did a Google search and found a number of such products, but most of them are sold in the U.S. One of them uses an "evaporation technology", you soak it in cold water and then wring it out and put it on the dog. The makers say it's used by the military and search and rescue dogs. Another type uses gel inserts that I guess you put in the freezer.

Has anyone tried such a product here in Canada, and if so, do they work? Are they available anywhere here in Canada? I checked the Petsmart website but couldn't find anything similar.
Old May 20th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Senior Contributor

my mom made my dog a "cooling" scarve, like the ones the men use on construction sites, except she did it as a scarf, soak in water, put it in the fridge overnight and viola, I tie it around her neck when we leave for our walks and it keeps her cool. look up chilly willys and you should find some like it
Old May 21st, 2010, 12:45 PM

I have the same issue with Scruffy...am on the verge of shaving his beautiful fuzz to help him stay cool.
Lots of people use the cooling scarf idea. I hadn't thought about refrigerating them - great idea Melinda.
Nepeandogs, here is a company out of California that I've ordered from in the past, if you are looking to buy something online. They are excellent to deal with: http://www.arcatapet.com/index.cfm
Not sure if they have what you are looking for.
I'm going to try the scarf thing.
But I too only walk Scruffy when it's cooled off so he doesn't overheat.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:49 AM
Live well, laugh often

I have used the cooling scarfs with Riley and have had good success with them . I've considered the vests but her really hates to wear anything (harness, jacket etc) so I don't think it is a good option for us. I do know of people who actually just wet down a light weight shirt and put it on their dog before walking which helps. I tend to just hose Riley down before our walks when it is really warm out .
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:57 AM

I've seen cooling vests through companies that sell agility supplies. I also saw an online site that gave instructions on making a cooling vest with a new chamois, I can't find the link, but it looked simple. The idea is to soak it in cool water.

Last summer was very hard for my geriatric dog Mac. I got him a cooling bandanna
http://www.myoutwardhound.com/coolin...-for-dogs.html
Before I got it, I took a regular bandanna, folded it in half and stitched a pocket at the top. I slid the individual ice pack pieces in the fold. These were filled with water only and safe. They were the size of ice cubes and I kept them in the refrigerator to be chilled. You can also find neck wraps that have water absorbing crystals at sports stores in the tennis area.

Here is some info about the chamois coats, sorry I can't find the how to make link:
http://www.bwdogcoats.com/dog-wet-coats.html

You could also check with greyhound groups. I believe they use these because the breed is sensitive to extreme temperatures. I'm using the outward hound cooling bandanna for Cassie for her agility lessons. It works. One of our agility class mates uses a spray bottle filled with cold water.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

thats what is in ours, the cooling crystals
Old May 25th, 2010, 11:18 AM

I'll try the scarves first

Well, several people have said the scarves/bandannas work, so I think I will try them first - they seem to be much less expensive than the coats I've seen.

Maybe I can find some at my local Petsmart.

I've considered filling a spray bottle with water and a few ice cubes, but with two dogs, one of whom likes to run circles around me when we're walking, and is also prone to "bolting" at the sight of a squirrel, I think I would find it kind of awkward to carry the bottle with me on our walks. I'd probably end up dropping it.

If I had a million dollars . . . I'd buy a big piece of land and create a dog amusement park. Fence it off, furnish it with benches and trees and a big sandy playground for the dogs to play in (my dogs for some reason love to run in the sand, it makes them giddy), and some big fountains and pools for the doggies to splash in and cool off. And maybe a doggie ice pop stand, too...
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:08 PM

look up cooling vests for dogs in Canada.
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:10 PM

spray bottles are ok but I had to spray my dog for 1/2 an hour before he stoped panting hard.
Old May 30th, 2010, 04:13 PM

shaveing your dog is the worst thing you can do, because the long hair is what keeps them cool is what our doctor said.
Old May 31st, 2010, 12:02 AM

nepean,
I hope scruffy and I can an invite once its built. Don't forgeta spray park and a fenced area where they can chase bunnies and kitties!

Tags
dog cooling vest