Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM

Joint Support

Recently, our vet has advised us that our 3 year old, mixed-breed dog, Connor, has a curved bone in his front leg - due to an injury he sustained as a young puppy. Also, they think that perhaps this injury will cause him joint problems in the future.

As such, they have advised us to place him on glucosamine supplements, as well as a joint support diet. Although we have placed him on the supplements and they seem to be improving his limp, we are hesitant about the diet. The diet recommended, Royal Canin Medi-Cal Joint Support, seems to be of a lower quality than his current Taste of the Wild diet.

Does anyone have some other suggestions of supplements, diets, or other things we can do to try to help prevent joint degeneration? I'm nervous about switching to a lesser quality food to solve the problem.

Thanks,

Serena
Old May 16th, 2010, 09:18 PM

I definitely would not change his diet. If you are happy with his current food, stick with it and add any supplements you need as time goes by. Glucosamine is a good one, as is omega 3.

We give cartrophen injections to several pugs with arthritis. It is relatively new, and is administered once per wk for 4 wks and then once per month after that. We have had great success, and this promotes new covering in the joint, and is used by humans doctors as well. Originally developed for humans for cystitis, but now quite commonly prescribed for arthritis. you can buy a bottle from your vet, and use insulin syringes to inject. the dose is 3mg/kg of body weight. so using a U100 insulin syringe, administer 3Units per kg, and give the shot subcutaneously.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/cartrophen-vet-can.html
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Doggie Wench

I'd stick with the TOTW over the Royal Canin as well. As pugsrule stated, adding glucosamine supplements (hydrochloride HCL and not sulfate) is a better idea than changing diets. We use the supplement with added MSM and Chondroitin as well as Salmon oil supplements to help with any inflammation.

In the past, we've also seen a tremendous improvement using Cartrophen injections as well.

Here's another site that explains how it works http://www.arthritis.au.com/DMOAD.2006.FINAL.pdf .
Old May 17th, 2010, 10:50 PM

That is an excellent website, thanks luckyPenny. I will pass it on to some others that I have recommended it to.
Old May 18th, 2010, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the information!

I will certainly look into this in the future, though I don't know if his joint is to the point where he needs injections yet. I think, as of now, there is little actually wrong with it. The vet just wanted him to start on glucosamine as a preventative measure for the future... I think because of the way the bone is curved, his joint does not function in the normal way. I will certainly ask the vet about this on his next check-up.

I think I'm leaning towards keeping him on his usual diet. It's salmon based, so it has a lot of Omegas. Also, I'm going to look into a supplement someone else reccommended to me which includes the green lipped mussels.

Although, any suggestions for or objections to this plan are still encouraged! Thanks a million

Tags
joint, medi cal, medi-cal, mobility