Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Right now I would just stick with your one cat until you learn much more and get used to caring for her.

It's sad that we can't take every cat that's offered or needs a home, but it's just reality. If we did our homes would be filled with more cats than we could reasonably care for.
Your parents also seem to be a limiting factor, so you might want to just keep kiko for now and try to educate them on ONE cat before you start bringing in more.

If you do take her please keep her away from kiko until both have had checkups and shots.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

SSS,I have not been here for a while,but glad you have all this excellent advice.
I see you are really falling for little Kiko,that s great she's a beautiful little girl-kittie.
My 3 cats have always slept with me,if Kiko wants to sleep in your bed,I would let her,she obviously feels comfortable with you and safe in your bed
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Mickey, my angel

Hi, SSS. I have been following your thread with interest for some time. I haven't posted because you have been getting helpful advice from some very knowledgeable and experienced people and there is really nothing I felt I could add.

I just want to say I am very impressed with the commitment you are showing to learn all you can about being a responsible pet owner to Kiko and any other pets you may have in the future. You are doing a great job. Learning is a life long experience. I have had pets for a lot of years and I am still learning.

I am wondering if the type of cat this gentleman is referring to is a Shirazi (could it be spelled differently in different regions? ). I googled and found some information on them. I also noticed a few Shirazi were listed in pet ads for Kuwait. Apparently this type of cat is an unregistered breed quite commonly found in Egypt and probably other countries in the Middle East and has some traits of the Maus and some traits of the Persians. They are described as "extremely intelligent, very loving and playful. Unlike most of the Maus, however, Shirazi are usually much more laid back and calmer. While Maus are more active and curious, Shirazi tend to be a lot cuddlier and thus make perfect pets for people who prefer a calmer cat to the very active Maus." Here are a couple of links that I found describing this type of cat.

http://www.emaurescue.org/pdf/news_a...ng_shirazi.pdf

http://www.sammelbaer.de/sarah/html/english.html

Of course, whatever the breed, each cat has it's own unique personality.

In a previous post you said "I don't know if I can supply both their needs." Only you can ultimately decide if this is the right time to introduce another cat and whether or not this kitty is the right one.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (17), and Sassy (13), Twinky (10),

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old May 22nd, 2010, 06:55 PM
Catlover2

mikischo, veeery interesting! I learned of a new breed of cat today.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikischo View Post
Hi, SSS. I have been following your thread with interest for some time. I haven't posted because you have been getting helpful advice from some very knowledgeable and experienced people and there is really nothing I felt I could add.

I just want to say I am very impressed with the commitment you are showing to learn all you can about being a responsible pet owner to Kiko and any other pets you may have in the future. You are doing a great job. Learning is a life long experience. I have had pets for a lot of years and I am still learning.

i reaaallly appreciate that, thanks a lot!

I am wondering if the type of cat this gentleman is referring to is a Shirazi (could it be spelled differently in different regions? ). I googled and found some information on them. I also noticed a few Shirazi were listed in pet ads for Kuwait. Apparently this type of cat is an unregistered breed quite commonly found in Egypt and probably other countries in the Middle East and has some traits of the Maus and some traits of the Persians. They are described as "extremely intelligent, very loving and playful. Unlike most of the Maus, however, Shirazi are usually much more laid back and calmer. While Maus are more active and curious, Shirazi tend to be a lot cuddlier and thus make perfect pets for people who prefer a calmer cat to the very active Maus." Here are a couple of links that I found describing this type of cat.

shirazi means persian, "Sharz" as kuwaitis say it. so when i say "sheeraziya" the "ziya" is works the same way as "ing, ian, tion" would work in english, so its to say "persian cat." i didnt search up sheeraziya on google, and im not surprised catlover didnt find any information on it, thats why i typed it in arabic. sadly, i dont know how to looks, so i cant say what kind it is for sure. but my friend says his friend has an outdoor place kinda, thats surrounded by walls where his friends come to visit. he says the cat is there, and she just sits next to them, so my guess is that its the calm type. i would want to take it in, but i'd want your guys' A O K before i do.
like i said, some people here find something to be an inconvenience that a canadian family for example wouldnt. "if it means taking too much effort, i dont really want it" is the notion i get alot over here. thats why i want it. but he says its kinda big. i dont know, he said to call him by thursday when hes there so he can put her in a cage and take her. he said its really nice, and that its got a silver colour coat. i asked him if it was vaccinated and he said "yes ofcourse! no way it wouldnt!" so like i said before, a sheeraziya cat is like... almost like THE cat to have over here, its the bently of cats here.

http://www.emaurescue.org/pdf/news_a...ng_shirazi.pdf

http://www.sammelbaer.de/sarah/html/english.html

Of course, whatever the breed, each cat has it's own unique personality.

In a previous post you said "I don't know if I can supply both their needs." Only you can ultimately decide if this is the right time to introduce another cat and whether or not this kitty is the right one.
catlover i tried looking for animal friends in kuwait, i even wanted to volunteer to walk dogs before, but i couldnt find it, i cant believe you managed! LOL thanks!

ALSO

when i sleep, i usually let her in, but she just plays around, and attacks my face, twice shes kinda hurt my face. shes got really sharp claws, so i put her in the window, and pulledout/used/opened/ the screen for the window so she cant get in. any move i make, and she starts to meow for me to let her in. sometimes i feel bad and let her in, but i always end up making her go out. but today, think she got the hang of it. cause i let her in, and shut the lights and went straight to bed. she just went to my left, curled up next to my stomache and slept. but about 45 minutes later, she started to go nuts lol. i couldnt get any sleep, even with her next to me. once i took her out, its amazing how i just slept alllll the way till 6 in the morning. i slept with kiko from 9pm till 11 and i felt like my head was really heavy/stuffy.
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang

Last edited by Sew-sew-steve; May 23rd, 2010 at 08:39 AM.
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:39 PM
Catlover2

I'm not surpised at Kiko's antics at night as that is par for the course for kitties. That's what I meant in a previous post that you should decide beforehand whether you want her sleeping with you or not. Kitties especially can really interrupt a good night's sleep as they sleep for short periods and then want to play. If you value a good night's sleep, just get her in the habit that she goes to her own room every night. Feed her a snack/small meal before her bedtime or a treat, and she'll look forward to going to her own room. If she meows during the night trying to get your attention, just ignore her, she'll learn that meowing isn't going to get you to open the window.

If you haven't clipped her claws yet, when you hold her, get her used to having her paws handled by gently squeezing the kuckles to make the claws come out. Do this often when you handle her. A time she's nice and relaxed hold her in your lap, and just snip off the end of her claws with nail clippers. Be careful not to cut too short; you certainly don't want to cut the vein in the nail---that will hurt her, and then she won't like having her nails cliipped. Give her a treat when you've finished clipping her claws, and she'll come to look forward to having it done, and it won't be a big deal with her, as it is trying to clip some cat's claws. I have a friend who can't clip her cat's claws because he makes such a big fuss about it and bites her and and she has to take him to the vet to have it done.

I think you're doing pretty well, you and sweet Kiko.
Old May 28th, 2010, 02:56 AM

beena short while since i last came on.
i dont think i have a chance at clipping her claws, shes too fiesty. we're kinda feeling eachothers boundaries out, well atleast i am.
she knows not to play around my face, and not to paw at my face, but despite knowing this, she paws at maybe bites myearlobe, and then makes a run for it lol. shes currently sitting on my shoulders right now on her own, first time ever, so im very happy even though its shortlived.
she now understands "no!" or "stop!" to mean "screw off" or simply "no!"/"bad girl!"

if she gets to fiesty when im in bed, i just yell no or stop, especially when she nibbles at my earlobes, which shes doing right now. anyhow, i do that and she goes away, yesterday was the only time i actually slept, despite having a really ticklish feeling all over my fave from her whiskers.
i sometimes push her off the bed lightly, so she gets the point. she usually does, and then comes back, and slowly gets more and more into her usual routine of pouncing around on my body. i just leave the window open noweven when i leave for work. she usually sleeps or leaves the room when im away.

anyhow, i changed her litter box to tidy cats, its amazing, even picked up all of her urine, but im gonna have to keep buying more of it.

really want a playmate for her. ill have to ask around, the persian cat i was gonna take got stolen.

i found out she isnt really sucking on her infection only, she sucks on whatever makes for a good "nipple" for her to suckle on. thats good, but i still want to get her infection checked out.

all in all, shes can get fiesty and naughty, but i know its just a stage shes going through, i can tell already she doesnt mind cuddling next to my face, and loves to be around me, she follows me around.

just like to say thanks again for all the support and positivity! especially catlover! you really stuck around!
i think its time to put this thread to rest and start a new one if i need any help
"For those whom Islam has embraced, the greatest witness to God's unremitting, pursuing, sustaining, and guiding love is the Qu'ran. Like a vast magnificent ocean, it lures you deeper and deeper into its dazzling waves until you are swept into it. But instead of drowning in a sea of darkness, as described above, you find yourself immersed in an ocean of divine light and mercy." - Dr.Jeffrey Lang
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Senior Contributor

SSS,it seems to me,like you and little Kiko will be doing just fine
But you know,as she grows,you really need to post some more pics,ok
Old May 28th, 2010, 08:18 AM
Catlover2

Good to hear an update....thanks for your comments.

SSS, I do hope you'll get Kiko checked out by a vet soon. She needs her shots, needs to be wormed, and needs to be spayed. The arrangement where you live you never know when a strange cat will scale your courtyard wall to come visit her....who may be carrying a virus or try to mate with her if she comes into heat. As for clipping her claws keep working on getting her used to handling her paws. You could try clipping them if she's napping. You don't have to do them all at once, just do a few and if she gets too wiggly, stop. Her "bite and run" is just play and she'd be doing the same thing with another kitty. Another playmate would definitely draw off some of her aggressive play antics. All in all she sounds like a normal kittty, and likely thinks your earlobe looks like something good to suck on!

A Persian type or "Sharazi" would be more laid back, though you may have to run a comb through its coat once a day, though longhaired cats' coat texture can vary from silky (less matting) to cottony (tends to mat, especially if it has a thick undercoat). But it may be that these Shirazi cats have a less matting and medium length coat? If you don't mind some grooming, it's not that big a consideration. The shelter people may be able to tell you about their coats...whether they mat easily or not?

If you get a playmate, do go to one of the shelters, rather than getting one from "someone", as cats from shelters will already be vet checked, have their shots and be spayed or neutered. A kitty around 4-5 mos. old would be better than an adult cat.

All the best!

Last edited by catlover2; May 28th, 2010 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Additional comment re "playmate".
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:06 AM

chico thanks for the reassurance and i definetly will post some more pics! maybe even a video. actually, i might post a short video of her being quite fiesty lol.

catlover, getting her checked up is my #1 priority right now. playmate comes later. im planning on checking out the animal shelter or something else of that nature later on for a chance to adopt a kitty her age.

i leave the window open to my room now, and only she can get through because the head of an adult cat is waaaaaay to big if they did get over the courtyard wall.

its way too hot now for her to stay outside , so i always have my window open now. i give her a shower with only water every now and again to get rid of any dust molecules from the litterbox or from the dusty weather itself. she doesnt like it, but stays still when im drying her. which is something SSS did not do.

she almost took my eye out a couple of times, so i just keep her on the outside of the window with the screen shut.

shes got sharp claws. and is really quick to start playing after she is sleeping.
i've got a long scratch on my cheek, some scratches between my upper lip and nose. aaand too many red scratch marks on my thighs from her trying to get on my keyboard and such. sometimes she jumps on my back and it is excrutiating. but hey, its all with good intent
cleaned it though dont worry.
Old May 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM
Catlover2

Good! Glad to hear you've got your priorities straight....get Kiko checked out by vet and then a playmate later. Glad to hear no stray cats can get in. Don't envy your hot weather there...we had 32sC here for a couple of days and I thought it was brutal, sure couldn't take 40s. Keep cool!
Old May 31st, 2010, 11:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
've got a long scratch on my cheek, some scratches between my upper lip and nose. aaand too many red scratch marks on my thighs from her trying to get on my keyboard and such. sometimes she jumps on my back and it is excrutiating. but hey, its all with good intent
Join the club

I slept out in my livingroom one night (usually a lock the cats out of my bedroom) and ALL the cats started playing in the middle of the night at the same time. They were running across the room really fast and one of them ran across my head and left a pretty good couple of scratches there. Shoulda remembered to clip their claws sooner .