Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 2nd, 2004, 09:39 AM

New Pet Resource

I don't know if any of you remember me from June, posting a question about a couple of little bumps on my pup's belly. They are all gone now thanks to a terrific holistic first aid spray. My 'puppy' is now a big boy of 15 months.

Because Murphy had been living in a cage in a pet store for the first 6 months of his young life, he's been difficult to train. His behavior is impulsive and has gotten him into trouble (eating from the street before I can remove it from his mouth), etc. The pet store gave him to me, rather than do what pet stores do with older unsold puppies.

In the process of learning to care for Murphy my internet research led me in 2 opposite directions: HOLISTIC and CONVENTIONAL. I personally believe in a blend. I believe there are times when both are necessary.

I also learned that some holistic products recommended for dogs are toxic and deadly to cats and vice versa. Murphy has 3 handsome feline brothers.

Had I not been made aware that tea tree oil is deadly to cats, I might have used it in a flea-repellant spray for Murphy that was recommended on a holistic website. And I might have lost my 3 precious cats as a result.

I suggested on another post that someone put together a resource for pet owners that deals with these types of issues, and I received a response that such a resource will probably never happen.

So I decided to do it myself. The website will be launched in January 05. LatestGreatestPets.com is an upscale lifestyle magazine for pampered pets and their people. Our 'platform' is to present the real, honest facts re holistic vs. conventional. The mag will also focus on HEALTH, FITNESS, TRAVEL, FASHION, GROOMING, NUTRITION, etc. - all pet related - like Vogue for the jet set pet.

I have a wonderful holistic veterinarian, who believes as I do, and will be on my advisory board, as well as contributing articles. I will be joining forces with others over the next few months.

If anyone out there is interested in writing a column, or being involved in some other way, I would love to speak with you.

Right now, the only pages live are the main page - www.latestgreatestpets.com, FROM THE EDITOR (under DEPARTMENTS), TABLE OF CONTENTS (under LOGO).

The site will be built over the next few months. Please let me know if you're interested in speaking further. You can email me directly from the site (email link is on bottom of each page).

Thank you again for all your support.
Laura Grace
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Great idea I also believe in using both holistic and conventional health care for my dog. I hope you do well with your site. Good luck and keep us posted as it progresses
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:09 AM

Thank you so much !!

And please let me know if you have any suggestions.

Laura Grace
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:23 AM

I have a suggestion:

Our little angel is allergic to chicken and chicken products. We cannot afford to make her food from scratch every day, so we buy holistic food. We've only been able to find two different types of food (Performatrin and Fromm), and it's quite a pain if we want to give her variety.

I suggest including a section for the pet with allergies. Resources, articles, brands that make chicken free food. It's very hard to give her all the variety she should have when there are only limited numbers of products available, as least that we could find. (do you know that almost every product out there contains chicken? Beef dog food, almost all treats, cookies, snacks of any sort) More and more dogs are showing allergic reactions to the food they eat, but most people don't recognize the signs.

If you could help in any way, that would be super!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:26 AM

That Is A Super Idea !

I agree that the allergic pet needs a section of it's own. I'll set it up over the weekend and start compiling data.

Thanks so much,
LGH
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Carina MacDonald wrote a great book about raw feeding that was published last year by dogwise. If you e-mailed her (through www.dogwise.com) she might be able to write you some excellent articles on raw feeding.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:57 AM

Thanks Sandi

This is so wonderful. I'm designing and building the site, as well as the concept and topics... I need help to see outside 'the box.'

In thinking about the allergic pet, I just realized I need a section for the senior pet. Little by little...

I want to create a resource where pet owners can come for whatever they need - even if it's links to another site. As long as they can find the info they want.

When I was searching for resources for Murphy I found such contradiction and outdated info.

My mag will be updated with fresh articles and info every month.

Thanks again...
LGH