Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old September 1st, 2004, 03:21 PM

Wish to adopt 2 cuddly kittens/young cats for a lifetime

Miauu!

I'm a very gentle and caring pet-lover, looking for two kittens or young cats up to 12 months, possibly tabbies - one brown or grey, one orange, male or female, not necessarily related, preferably declawed, vaccinated and domesticated.

I live in a large 3 1/2 flat in Westmount, Montreal; I don't have any pets presently, but would like to have puppies as well in the long run. Therefore, I'm looking for kittens or young cats who would get along with gentle dogs as well.

You can reply to this message or e-mail me at sineminkaya@yahoo.com.

I'm looking forward to find my two babies really soon and be a very good mom to them.

Thank you for your help.
Old September 1st, 2004, 03:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Have I got kittens for you! Here is a sample:

Please go to my Petfinder site, and look for "Kitten Emergency" and "Urgent More kittens".

Petfinder Site
Old September 1st, 2004, 05:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,did you notice,she wants them declawed,I thought no kittens coming from Lucky Rescue are to be declawed?
I know these adorable babies need a home,but declawed???
Old September 1st, 2004, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

I know Chico. These two litters of babies are NOT Lucky Rescue kittens. I have listed them as a courtesy. The tabbies were found outside with their feral mother and someone has them in her home. She has many other cats and dogs, and desperately needs homes for these 5 babies. The person who has the other litter is threatening to put them outside, with winter coming!!

WE do NOT allow declawing of any of our cats or kittens under ANY circumstances, and I'm hoping that Sinem will look at the site I'm linking, and will reconsider.
The Truth about Declawing

Many people have no idea what "declawing" means, and think it's merely like having the nails cut.
Old September 1st, 2004, 07:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,after I wrote the post I thought,who am I to critizise,I am not taking those poor kittens Although I wish I could...
But just the thought of those sweet little creatures being declawed makes me shudder!!
I absolutely did not mean to critizise Lucky Rescue
Old September 1st, 2004, 09:46 PM
Senior Contributor

I didn't take it as a criticism!! I feel the same way you do, believe me!! But I have no say about who gets these babies.

BUT if the choice is between declawing and a 12 week old kitten being tossed out in the Quebec winter, I would have to opt for declawing as much as it sickens me. Let's hope it won't come down to two such horrible choices.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:18 PM

Hi Lucky and Chico,

thank you for your comments and suggestions. I consulted the link Lucky referred me to about Declawing, and I am not ignorant about the process nor its downsides/consequences. I totaly respect your views and worries; I agree that it is heart-wrenching and not a pleasant experience for any living being to go through such pain and physical/behavioral change.

Nevertheless, declawing is legal in Canada, and as long as I have the option of having declawed cats, I will opt for it as opposed to adopting them and then having to return them a few months later because of the harm they are doing to my furniture, curtains (and maybe even myself) through scratching.

I have a full-time job and will be away from home during work hours, thus I won't be able to watch or train them 24/7. Even if I buy a scratching post, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will like scratching it, and they WILL scratch around. They will be housecats and I won't let them outdoors, so they won't have to defend themselves against other animals. I really wouldn't want to change their nature, but at this point I have to think of my personal belongings, too, and I think declawing will be a safe option for the long run.

I realize that there may be many older cats that have already been declawed and are waiting to be adopted. But I am looking for a life-long commitment, and I want to experience their babyhood as well. So, I am going to adopt two kittens, assume their responsibility, get them neutered and declawed, and provide them with a loving and caring safe home for a lifetime.

That's ok if Lucky Rescue kittens are strictly NOT to be declawed. (How can you guarantee what WILL or WILL NOT happen to them after they are adopted anyways!?) There are so many kittens that need to be rescued, right!? And here I am, wanting to give a nice home to two, and I'm being honest and I'm letting you know my intention. It's not as if it comes down to two horrible choices, having them declawed or tossing them out. We're talking about saving lives here, right!?

I don't think Lucky Rescue or any other Animal Shelter or Rescue Centre has the luxury of not giving away endangered kittens if their possible owner wants to declaw them. I paid for the chemotheraphy of my 9-year-old German Shephard to keep him healthy and alive for as long as possible, and finally lost him four years ago due to stomach cancer. I've grieved his loss for a long time, and finally I'm feeling ready to move on and take care for another two lives.

I am very serious about my intentions, and I will find my two very lucky babies with or without the help of Lucky Rescue.

Thank you for your interest.

Kind Regards,

Sinem
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have a full-time job and will be away from home during work hours, thus I won't be able to watch or train them 24/7. Even if I buy a scratching post, it doesn't necessarily mean that they will like scratching it, and they WILL scratch around. They will be housecats and I won't let them outdoors, so they won't have to defend themselves against other animals. I really wouldn't want to change their nature, but at this point I have to think of my personal belongings, too, and I think declawing will be a safe option for the long run.
I too work full time and have a cat with claws. He enjoys scratching my couch, speakers, walls etc. They are not stupid though, they know once you've told them. I bought a brand new couch in the spring and have a couple of pulls from Connor enjoying the new material. All I do is put throw blankets on the arms and a stratch post right in the location where he enjoyed the back of the couch. Problem solved.

Lucky was not meaning to insult or be rude to you (I don't think), it's just a fact that they believe strongly in. They care deeply for these cats and are willing to do what they have to in order to provide them with a safe happy home - without mutilation. I would commend them for such loyalty and care to these animals rather then bash them for not getting these animals in and out as soon as possible.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 02:34 PM

Sinem, I award you for your mature response to the criticisim that you recieved here. I do not believing in declawing any kittens BUT as you have stated in your post, it is legal in Canada and you have the right to choose to do so or not. I try to keep from condeming others who dont see eye to eye with me, every person has different ways of seeing things and to think that everyone will believe in the same things I do is very unrealistic nor can I make anyone change their beliefs. Im sure you will give your new kittens a very loving home and care for them as much as one person can. Thank you for saving 2 more lives that would otherwise have no fate. Continue with your search Im sure you will find kittens that steal your heart and your home! My dog has taken mine over!
Old September 2nd, 2004, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Sinem, I gave you the link to all those gorgeous kittens, and the contact information is on the links. You are free to contact these people (I dont' even know them) I thought that was being helpful, no?

I'm sure these people will give you kittens, especially the person who has the 7 week old ones. I would rather see them declawed then dying outside.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 04:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Smile

May I put in a word here for Charley and Abbey? (On petfinders, the link LR gave you.) Already declawed and neutered, none of the drawbacks of kittens (ie playing all night) and they SO need a home. Can you imagine the gratitude?
Old September 2nd, 2004, 08:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Good thought, Badger, but this person is looking for kittens or young cats, not 26 lb, 6 yr old hulks.
Old September 2nd, 2004, 10:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,as much as I hate it,I suppose a few weeks of pain is better than freezing to death outside.
This person threatening to put these babies outside must be a little twisted
Old September 2nd, 2004, 11:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
This person threatening to put these babies outside must be a little twisted
She seems to think that because the mother is feral that it's o.k. to "release" these babies. Of course it's not, and they will surely die.
Old September 5th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Declawing

I would never declaw a cat because I think 99.9% of the time there are*other solutions; because in my mind it is still a form of mutilation; and because I don't give a damn about my furniture.
BUT, my vet - a good man, I think - told me yesterday he had just declawed a kitten and the animal was up and running within hours, eating, needing no pain meds. He does it with a laser - no bleeding, no stitches.
He also told me he has a significant number of clients who think neutering is as cruel as declawing.
If it is a question of declawing the cat or giving it a home, I vote for a home, particularly when clearly the operation is no longer the torture it once was.
Old September 5th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
significant number of clients who think neutering is as cruel as declawing.
I wish these people could see the numbers of cats starving, freezing and dying outside - ears and tails frozen off - including litters of kittens and mother cats so depleted they cannot feed their dying babies.

I wish they could see tomcats with their scalps ripped off, along with other gruesome injuries, from fights Not to mention the ones who are dumped, abused or killed because they are spraying in the house, and the ones with leukemia and FIV.

Yes, it's very cruel to try and prevent all that by spaying and neutering.
Old September 5th, 2004, 05:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky,I firmly believe,anyone who says they are against spaying/neutering,do not have their cats health in mind,they simple would not spend the money on a"mere"cat
Now,declawing is a totally different issue,laser or not,but I will not discuss that anymore.
They get a kitten because it's oooh so cute,kitten becomes a cat very quickly and to some,no more so cute and out he/she goes
Any person who gets a cat,should be made aware,the cat will be a companion for up to,sometimes twenty yrs and spaying/neutering is the one most important health choice you can do for him/her,aside from vaccinations etc...
Old September 5th, 2004, 05:56 PM
Senior Contributor

My vet said that in his experience it is not the money, it's something to do with leaving the animal in its 'natural state'.
Never mind that the natural state leads to unwelcome consequences.
Old September 5th, 2004, 07:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico, you are so right about the cute kitten thing. When it becomes an adult female, howling in heat, or a tomcat spraying the precious furniture it's not so cute, so out it goes.

Since cats are semi-domesticated, they are not in a "natural state", as truly wild animals have strict limits on reproduction, and distribution of territory. Cat are so severely overpopulated, and have no limits on producing young or on territory, so endless births and fighting takes place.

People should educate themselves before saying such foolish things and causing even more suffering. I wish vets would speak up to people and maybe help a bit.

Every single cat in our rescue came from these kinds of people. Nothing natural about that!
Old September 7th, 2004, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

Just a thought......kittens are not kittens for very long.....they are almost full size at around a year old

When I rescued my Min Min she was about 3 years old very small due to malnurishment......but let me tell ya the kitten in her is still there she is now about 8 years old I guess but she is the livliest of the bunch and hilarious to watch as she runs all over the house chasing invisible mice and jumping up in the air scared by .....ghosts?.....lmao
Old September 7th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah Iggette,it's funny how they do that,my three,even Rocky at 8yrs,at a certain time start running around the whole house,even try to climb the walls sliding around on the wood floor,hilarious to see
It's like they had a fire on their tails...luckily they don't do it all at the same time But most cats will be kitten-like and playful,until they get too old to do so.
Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:28 PM
Senior Contributor

CyberKitten

Hi,

I don't want to prolong the declawing debate but I really think any human who wants to share his or her home with cats can find time to teach them alternatives to declawing. There is also another product - the name of which escapes me - that one can place on the cat's claws instead of such drastic surgery. What happens if a declawed cat gets out - and they DO. They have no way to protect themselves.

I aw a declawed cat recently and its human friend was complaing now that the kitty liked to bite. Well of course he does. What else will he do to defend himself? Cats - and all our furry friends - have habits (just as we do) that are not always welcome.

I lived for 13 years with a lovable bunny. He loved to chew of course and as he aged, he did not always get to the litter box in time. We need to figure out how to help them live in our midst?

Regards,

CyberKitten
Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I was actually trying to be civil here But in reality,I firmly believe anyone who feels the need to mutilate a cat,should consider getting an aquarium or a turtle,no damage to prescious(sp?)furniture.
Old September 24th, 2004, 01:50 AM
~Cat Servent~

I may have been lucky...I'm not sure. But when I first got my cats I was working full time and was a little worried about them going at my furniture, so my husband and I decided to spend the big bucks and get a really good scratching post (with many levels and Sisal rope-essential!!!). I was not there to correct them all the time, but it seems that they actually prefer scratching the Sisal rope anyhow. I can only recall correcting them maybe twice, and my furniture still looks as good as the day we bought it (well only on cleaning day as the rest of the time it is covered in that oh so fine layer of fur!!!! ). I have three big brutes and they all have claws, they get them trimmed weekly (something else I started very young) and I have never had a problem!
So, my point is for about the same amount you would spend on declawing the cats, you could invest in a large scratching post and save the little darlings all that pain!
Oh and I do agree that declawing is still much much better than that crazy woman putting them back outside!!!
Old September 24th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
but it seems that they actually prefer scratching the Sisal rope anyhow
Right! Cats love to scratch sisal. If someone can't afford one of those massive cat trees, they can buy bags of sisal,(I got it for a 1$ a bag at the dollar store!) and wrap up a branch or a board themselves and secure it to a wall. Rub a little catnip on it. My cats just adore this, and much prefer scratching these posts to scratching my furniture.

Quote:
She knows it's cat/kitten torture yet "because it's legal" she does it anyway???
Yeah, it would also be legal for me to tie my dog on a short chain outside for her entire life, as long as she has food/water/shelter, but I sure wouldn't do it.
Old September 24th, 2004, 02:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Declawing shouldn't even be considered unless all other options have been tried. My Puss-Puss has never shown any inclination to scratch my furniture. I clip her claws to keep them short and it's never been an issue. She plans to declaw when there might never be the need?
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:44 PM

I see the original poster has not returned. What a shock They were not happy with what they were told. No one said anything rude at all. They just didn't hear what they wanted. That would be, "here I have two free kittens that will remain cute forever, I'll bring them to you and you can go get them declawed and they will be perfect fixtures in your home forever". I send a HUGE raspberry to this poster.
Old September 24th, 2004, 09:15 PM

I am of the belief that if you don't want your belongings scratched, clawed, slobbered, pooped or peed on, then you shouldn't have pets or kids.

Scratching posts work wonders for my kids (cats). It is very easy to get them to use it. All you need is a bit a patience and a bit of catnip.

But I still haven't figured out how to control my teenager.
Old October 6th, 2004, 04:39 PM

The long awaited update!!

Hi everyone,

I would like to give you an update since my post apparently attracted a lot of attention and criticism, and people have been wondering "why" I haven't returned to this site.

Actually, I've been reading everybody's comments and doing a lot of research on the net about cat behaviour and the nature of cats. I wasn't very familiar with the characteristics of cats and the issue (pros & cons) of "scratching". As I am very protective of my belongings (not only the material things, but also living beings, i.e. my deceased dog, family and friends), I thought it would be best if I got my cat declawed to prevent any possible physical & material damage at home.

A little over a month ago, I adopted the cutest kitten I've ever seen. Spending time with her allowed me to learn about cats; I got to know her personality, and I've come to love her so much that I could never see her go through any unnecessary pain. I bought her a nice scratching post, and after a little training she immediately learned where to scratch and where not to. (Oh, and btw, I trim her nails frequently)

Since getting my girl, I've been looking to adopt a second kitten as a playmate for her. I visited a lot of Rescues and Foster homes, and I saw many declawed cats at various Animal Shelters. When I looked carefully at their declawed paws and saw their "fingers" amputated, that's when it hit me , and I decided that this is in fact "cruel" and that I will never do this to my cat(s).

So, after all, it was through seeing and reading about "declawing", and experiencing the maternal feeling of looking after a cat that made me realize what it entails and what the likely consequences of declawing are. Honestly, I did feel offended by some unfriendly messages posted on this site as a response to me. I don't think it's a very effective nor mature way of communication to condemn someone who might have different views and imply that s/he has "sh#t for brains" just to get one's point across. As a cat-beginner, I needed some time to inform myself and come up with my own ideas.

Nevertheless, I'd like to thank those of you who replied in an honest but kind way. And in case you are wondering, I will get my girl (15 weeks old) spayed at the age of 6 months, and I'm looking forward to adopt my second girl (6 weeks old) in about 2 weeks time when she is ready to go. It's been a blast having my first one, and I cannot wait to spend many happy years together with the two of them.

Cheers
Old October 6th, 2004, 10:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Sinem,thank's for the update,it really made my day
I was probably one of the loudest protesters against de-clawing,but to me it's not even a debatable issue,it should be a banned procedure.
I am very happy you have discovered how wonderful these little creatures are,I've had cats for as long as I remember and currently have 3 males.
I too have a nice home,nice furniture,but they are things and replacable,we chose leather-couches,since cats do not get great satisfaction scratching leather and it has worked.
No matter how many scratch-post you have,something will get scratched at one time or another,but that is just simply cat-ownership.
Getting them used to having their nails trimmed at an early age is very important and it does help,while you are at it,try to get them used to having their teeth brushed.It saves a lot of money on tartar-removal(my vet $300/cat)
I am also pleased you are getting another kitten,one cat is fun,but two is wonderful,I am sure you know to introduce them to each other carefully,but since they are both kittens it should not cause any problems.
Once again,thank's for the update and good luck with the second kitten.
We would love to see some pictures