Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 31st, 2004, 01:16 PM

Question questin about rhodesian ridgebacks.

Hi, I'm new here w/ a question about this breed. My husband is wanting to get a rhodesian ridgeback as a family pet. I was wondering if anybody could tell me whether they're good w/ cats and children? We currently have 2 cats and are expecting our first child. We wouldn't get the dog for another year or so, but we have to be put on a waiting list if we want a puppy, and the list is over a year. Also, are these dogs easy to train? Are they good guard dogs? I'd like some peronsal experiences, I've found that what the AKC says and what actually happens can be two different things. any help is appreciated. Thanks!

shannah
Old August 31st, 2004, 01:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Any dog is what you make it out to be, regardless of breed standard, sex, and what ever else you want to throw into the mix.

Every puppy needs obedience training, a good vet and a dedicated family. It is important to remember that what may be cute in a puppy is not always so cute in a full grown dog. Things like, playing tug with your socks, leaping on the couch are not so attractive when done by a 50 pound dog.

If you are getting the dog from a responsible breeder, then they should be able to match the puppies personality up with your family.

Before you put your deposit down, make sure that this is a GOOD breeder. Any and all tests for genetic diseases should have been done on the parents and you should be given proof of this. Breeding stock should be shown in conformation and some other field. I know nothing about RR's but I wouldn't buy a rottie pup from someone who didn't show in conformation and at least obedience. I would want OFA certification numbers for both parents to make sure that they were clear of hip and heart problems. I would want to buy from a breeder who asks more questions of me then I could possibly remember to ask them. I would want to see other pups that they had sold and be able to talk to their vet.

And when you put that deposit down, start looking for a trainer. You want to find someone who is positive, yet firm, not abusive. Any trainer that uses alpha rolls is someone to avoid.
Old August 31st, 2004, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

A new baby and a Ridgeback puppy (or any puppy) might not be the best idea.

I know someone who has had these dogs for a number of years, and this is what she says about them.

Ridgebacks are powerful and intelligent hunting dogs with strong prey drive, and like any breed that hunts independantly they are not considered to be one of the easiest breeds to train, or housetrain.. They need to be taken to obedience school, given consistant training, and they need a great deal of exercise.

They like to be with their people and must not be left outside in backyards or behavior problems may arise (fence aggression, digging, barking) They are loyal and loving to family, but wary of strangers. They will guard their family and territory, but should not be aggressive to people for no reason.

A puppy could probably adapt to cats in the home.

In other words, a Ridgie puppy will need a great deal of attention, training, exercise and socializing to be a good pet and this would be difficult with a new human baby in the house as well.