Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old February 5th, 2010, 04:36 AM

please help me redirect my dog

Dear members,

I have just newly arrived on your forums and I hope you don't mind a few beginner questions. Also, I am new to posting on forums, so please forgive my mistakes.
I have recently rescued an elderly dog. The reality of the situation is that he has rescued me. I have been very lonely since my two dogs died this past year. My new dog is named Rocky. He is large but very timid and gentle. He has but one flaw...isn't that amazing?!! If he were a human, for example, with only one flaw, we would be worshipping him as a god. In fact, I'd be so thrilled if I had only one flaw, lol... i wish! Anyways, this "flaw" is that he likes to climb on the livingroom couch. Unfortunately he does this when I am asleep or when I am out so I don't see him there often, but I can feel his warmth on the couch and know he just got up.
He is a very dignified old gentleman and I would like to gently redirect his behaviour. I was wondering, do you think if I turned the couch and armchair around so their fronts were facing the wall, he would get the idea to stay off?
If you have any other ideas that would help, I would be so grateful for advice. Thank you again
Old February 5th, 2010, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

can you not just put a blanket on the couch and allow the older gentleman to sleep there? is there a way you can block off the room when you go out? The only way I can see you being able to overcome this is to spend time with him and teaching him "off"....when you go out, block off the room. I'm sure other members will have better suggestions for you, I'm not a lot of help because my large dog sleeps on the couch, lazyboy and in our bed *L*
Old February 10th, 2010, 04:44 AM

I was in the same boat as you once! Almost identical! What I did to keep him off the couch, was I made sure that he DID have a nice comfy bed for him to lay on nearby then whenever I left the house or went to bed I would put down a couple strips of double sided sticky (scotch brand so it's not strong enough to hurt him) tape. Directly on the couch cushion that he would sleep on. He REALLY didn't like that feeling on his paws or fur.

Eventually I could leave without having to put the tape on the couch. If he's old I would suggest giving him a bed to sleep on, it's easier to provide them with an comfy alternative for your couch than saying you have to to just stay on the floor.

Anyways best of luck!