Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:38 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Unhappy Rupert has Eosinophilic Granuloma Complex

A bit of background can be found here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=67664

Well, Winston called it - I just wish she hadn't been right! (due to the whole need for steroid shots thing)

The vet today was REALLY great. I would recommend them to any cat owners in the Hamilton area.

Rupert was given one steroid shot designed to last 24 hours and then the same medication in pills (Dextabs) to follow up with for three weeks. Then, if it's needed we'll go to the Depo Mederol (sp?). I appreciated that the vet didn't want to bring out the big guns right away and understood my concerns about steroids.

We also got Clavomax liquid, as an infection has started to develop where he's been overgrooming his paw and he got a dose of Revolution to be on the safe side, though no fleas etc. were apparent.

Finally, we got a tub of Viralys powder (Lysine) since I've had concerns about Rupert being sneezy and having a runny nose off and on this winter.

The vet did try to recommend the Hill's but I told him no, that I prefer grain-free foods and do a lot of research in the area. He didn't push it (much appreciated!) and said he ultimately doesn't think a food allergy is the issue here anyway.

We go back for a follow-up on Tuesday. He noticed Rupert also has a lot of gunk in his ears and he swabbed that to look more closely this afternoon. He'll call us tonight if we need to go in and get any other meds.

Rupert was an absolute superstar during his visit and the vet and techs could not believe what a friendly and tolerant kitty he is! Vet told FH that he should keep cleaning and wrapping the paw exactly how he has been until we go back on Tuesday. And the shot he got is already giving Rupert quite a bit of relief from the itchies.

for my little guy....I hope we can get this resolved without the use of too many steroids.
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl

Last edited by Chaser; January 22nd, 2010 at 03:51 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
-

Aww, poor Rupert but at least you know what it is.

Hope the meds you were given clear everything up so you don't have to use the steroids.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
-

Chaser, I remembered reading a thread about eosinophilic granuloma complex here (which is amazing since I suffer from CRAFT disease ) and did a search for it in case any of the info can help you ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42431
Old January 22nd, 2010, 03:58 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbow View Post
Chaser, I remembered reading a thread about eosinophilic granuloma complex here (which is amazing since I suffer from CRAFT disease ) and did a search for it in case any of the info can help you ....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=42431
Thanks rainbow

Old January 22nd, 2010, 05:34 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I'm glad the meds are helping the little guy out. At least now you know what you're dealing with, Chaser!

for Rupert!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 22nd, 2010, 06:20 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
I'm glad the meds are helping the little guy out. At least now you know what you're dealing with, Chaser!

for Rupert!
Thanks Hazel

It was really funny that I asked about the Granuloma before the vet even mentioned it! He was like "How did you know I was thinking that?"

I tild him I'm part of an online forum full of devoted animal rescuers and doggy/kitty experts

Old January 22nd, 2010, 07:12 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Update

No call from the vet, which is good. Means the ear gunk is just part of the condition I guess and should be cleared up through the current course of treatment. If he has concerns after looking at the swabs he would have called asap.

Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

That's good news, anyway! At least you don't have to worry about treating his ears on top of everything else.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:14 PM
-

Great news ....at least that's one less thing to be concerned about.
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:29 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Chaser not bad news and at least you know what your dealing with.

You can now rule out environmental and food allergy!

The vet told us to remove all plastic items from the home that the cat could come in contact with. So we removed plastic dishes, bags, mats etc to help. With Brady the depo shot was an immediate relief and it lasted for approx 5 months. The food change has been really helpful too. He was just a kibble kitty before and now he is all wet ! He is a food hound though so anything motivates him. The worst areas on Brady were the mouth like a cold sore and the pads of his feet. He also had some dry scabby areas on his head but they have never returned. I think he has only had 2 shots now over a couple of years.

A previous vet had my mom scared silly that if she gave the shots to Brady he would become an instant diabetic cat...Brady is young, otherwide healthy indoor kitty. Mom tried prednisone for a very long time and finally we opted for the shot which as I said was an instant relief.

Rupert will be feeling better in no time I am sure! I hope he learns to like the wet food. Youll have to be persistant and just keep trying a can of different kinds and eventually you will find it. We did but it took months..Mine still eat some dry but very minimal now.

Some folks also call it Rodent Lip or Salmion Lip...

Give Rupert a smooch for me! and Kailey and Chase!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:46 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Rupert isn't presenting with Rodent Lip specifically....but regardless we've never used plastic dishes etc. - just stainless steel or ceramic.

The vet was really good about addressing my concerns about steroids. He said Rupert's heart sounded excellent and given his activity level and all he doesn't have concerns about giving a Depo shot.

I still think it's ridiculous that anyone could think a vet kibble full of corn would actually be good for this condition I'll stick with the novel proteins and will keep working on the wet food with him. He seems to like venison best so far and I've made some headway with that....have yet to try rabbit though. Will be thrilled if he likes it!

And I'll give lots of kisses all around for you! Aside from the four hours I was at work today Rupert hasn't left my lap. And I bought him a new collar online on Etsy...spent $18 Holy "Worried Momma" Complex.....

Old January 22nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

I forgot to mention streess was also key! I know Ruperts not but just another thing that brings it back..poor Mommy Complex!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old January 22nd, 2010, 10:36 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

It's great you have some answers now for Rupert. Much easier to treat. krdahmer's Fagan if I remember correctly gets those shots too. Maybe once or twice a year. I'm sure kr will be along soon to set me straight.
Rupert will be back to himself in no time. Maybe he will be "lucky" and only need one shot at the first of the heating season and then he will be fine. He doesn't present with any symptoms in the summer does he?
It's a great time to get him moving over to wet food. If the vet thinks he isn't suffering allergies then maybe you could try him on some of the chicken ones.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:07 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston View Post
I forgot to mention streess was also key! I know Ruperts not but just another thing that brings it back..poor Mommy Complex!
Luckily Rupert is such a laid back kitty he doesn't get stressed by much. The only thing that seems to upset him is if he is left home alone overnight and we're in the process of hiring a stay-over dogsitter that would therefore be here with Rupert as well on the rare occasion we need to be away

Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:10 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
Rupert will be back to himself in no time. Maybe he will be "lucky" and only need one shot at the first of the heating season and then he will be fine. He doesn't present with any symptoms in the summer does he?

Nope - when the windows are open and fresh air is circulating through the house he has a beautiful glossy coat and no itches. I'm hoping he'll only need a shot at the start of winter too!

It's a great time to get him moving over to wet food. If the vet thinks he isn't suffering allergies then maybe you could try him on some of the chicken ones.
I've tried all kinds of chicken-based wet foods in the past - he eats more of the venison than he ever did of the chicken or turkey ones so I think I'll stick with the novel proteins just based on his preference.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 10:49 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Yay! He was surprsingly good with all his meds this morning And his cone is off for a little while and although he's trying to get at his paw a little it's not frantic/obsessive like before

We're off to a good start I think!

Old January 23rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Thankfully, at least you know what you are dealing with. Is this something Rupert will eventually get over with meds, or is it something he's got for life?

I hope it's just something he'll get over.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Thankfully, at least you know what you are dealing with. Is this something Rupert will eventually get over with meds, or is it something he's got for life?

I hope it's just something he'll get over.
My understanding is it's a permanent condition. I have a lot of trouble understanding biology-typer things, but from what I've been reading it seems to be related to a type of white blood cells that overreact to irritants (such as dust) and cause symptoms that mimic an allergic reaction. Kind of like an autoimmune disorder type of response in a way I think.

My hope is that one long-acting steroid shot each November will be sufficient to control it.....I don't want to pump him full of steroids. It's just a matter of seeing how well he responds to the shot. As long as his symptoms stay controlled he doesn't need another, but at the first sign I'll know what it is and it will be time to go in for a shot.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like keeping his immune system strong is really the key to this.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old January 23rd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Chaser, I highly recommend you look into a product called Transfer Factor Classic. It helps to balance an outta whack immune system. 4Life, the makers of Transfer Factor, also make a cat version but it's the human "Classic" version that you want. A little on the pricey side, but if it helps, it would be worth it. Start with 1/4 cap per day and work up to a full cap. Mix it with food.

Is Rupert still getting salmon oil? That can also be useful for EGC, along with 50iu of vitamin E per day (or 400iu per week).

Some more links for you to check out on the subject, if you haven't already seen them:

http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/CLERK/Starnes/index.php
http://daisythecurlycat.blogspot.com...loma%20complex
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/skin/e...granuloma.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old January 23rd, 2010, 03:52 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Chaser, I highly recommend you look into a product called Transfer Factor Classic. It helps to balance an outta whack immune system. 4Life, the makers of Transfer Factor, also make a cat version but it's the human "Classic" version that you want. A little on the pricey side, but if it helps, it would be worth it. Start with 1/4 cap per day and work up to a full cap. Mix it with food.

Is Rupert still getting salmon oil? That can also be useful for EGC, along with 50iu of vitamin E per day (or 400iu per week).

Some more links for you to check out on the subject, if you haven't already seen them:

http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/CLERK/Starnes/index.php
http://daisythecurlycat.blogspot.com...loma%20complex
http://www.fabcats.org/owners/skin/e...granuloma.html
Thanks for the info SCM! I'll check out the transfer factor and the links.

He's still getting the salmon oil - vet was happy to hear I've been doing that. I'll add the vitamin E now too

Old January 27th, 2010, 01:35 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

The Treatment is Working!!!

I am VERY relieved to report that Rupert's horrible itchies have stopped! His paw is almost totally healed, as is his nose.

He never developed Rodent Lip, as seems to be common, but one of his symptoms was an itchy nose that he would not stop licking and rubbing on things until it bled.

We're finishing up the antibiotics and will continue with the Lysine since it is really decreasing his sneezing and snotting (sorry...TMI?)

He is on 0.5 mg Dexamethasone until Friday, then 0.25 mg for seven days, then 0.25 mg every other day for a week. Then we go back to the vet. The goal is to find the lowest dose that will control his symptoms.

Good news is that the vet sees no need to load him up with a long-acting steroid - thankfully it isn't that severe. And we're considering ourselves lucky that he's easy to pill!

I'm so glad my boy is comfy again! We left his cone on last night to be cautious but during waking hours he's not doing any scratching etc. so I think he can go without it now

Old January 27th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Yay! I'm so glad he's better. Hopefully he won't need a high dosage of the meds from now on.

Old January 27th, 2010, 08:36 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

So good to hear he's feeling better, Chaser!

Old January 27th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Thanks guys

I guess now that he's not a conehead I'll have to work on taking some pictures to post. He's quickly getting back to His Royal Cuteness.....much improved from the flaky, bloody,"I just got in a huge fight with myself" look.

Old January 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM
You can call me DOG!

So nice to hear of his improvements Chaser! It's always a relief to know what the situation is and to have great people & vets that give advice and guidance.

Pictures...pretty please?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Rest in Peace Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/15/2004 - 11/18/2017 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old January 27th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klmccallum View Post
So nice to hear of his improvements Chaser! It's always a relief to know what the situation is and to have great people & vets that give advice and guidance.

Pictures...pretty please?
So true....I hate to have to use medication but more than anything I'm glad he's comfortable. Plus I'm grateful for all the wonderful advice of the members on here....I think I can still use some natural methods to at least decrease the amount of meds he'll need

I'll get to work on the pics ASAP...all the critters are snoozing right now and are bound to look cute!

Old January 27th, 2010, 10:43 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Great news!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:20 PM
-

WOOOO HOOOO for Rupert.

And, hope he doesn't have any relapses.
Old January 27th, 2010, 11:22 PM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

Here he is:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=68141