Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 28th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Looking for info on Ideopathic Cystitus

Since both Tabitha and Bomber have been diagnosed with this I am wondering if anyone has an opinion on treatment other than drugs? I have read a few things and the standard form of treatment is the Amitryptaline pills. I for one can only pill Bomber and I was hoping to find something other than medicating them.

Some of the articles refer to using SLippery Elm Bark which I did not realise was used for this kind of thing.

I am just looking for opinions. What adds to the frustration is that you may see pee once..then not for a month etc...its so varied and not regular and no pattern to this behaviour? I have had both checked out medically.

Most recently with Bomber on a recheck of his urine they indicated he still had a small amount of bacteria in him but nothing to worry about??? the vet solution is the drugs...here is a link I was reading and wondered if anyone has used these items. They can be purchased at the health food store.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5631531_herb...-cystitis.html

Couchgrass
Couchgrass is the most commonly used herb for cystitis in cats. The herb has properties that provide a tonic and disinfectant for the cat's urinary tract. The herb also has anti-inflammatory and diuretic qualities. The herb may help to lessen the cat's pain when the pet is urinating. This is especially helpful in cats with cystitis. The more often the cat can be encouraged to urinate, the more quickly the condition will resolve. Many cats will hold their bladders because of the burning pain they come to associate with urinating. Tea or tincture is usually used for administering this herb to cats. Cornsilk, marshmallow root and slippery elm bark are other common herbs used in a similar manner for treating cat cystitis.

Cranberry
Just as in humans, cranberry may be helpful in healing and alleviating the symptoms of cystitis in cats. Cranberry prevents bacteria from attaching to the bladder wall. Some cats will lap cranberry juice from a bowl and others will not. Cranberry juice can be mixed with a particularly palatable meal, such as canned tuna fish. And, there are cranberry capsules available in health food stores that might provide a more effective way of administering the medication to some cats. A 250 mg per day dosage of these capsules is usually recommended for cats with cystitis.
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 28th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Senior Contributor

This article mentions some more natural treatment options, along with dosing info: http://holisticat.com/flutd.html

I would start mixing some Cosequin into their food. It contains glucosamine and chondroitin, which helps strengthen the bladder lining: http://www.nutramaxlabs.com/Vet/Prod...-for-cats.aspx
Quote:
Some veterinarians also recommend Cosequin to help support urinary bladder health. The inner lining of the bladder wall is protected by a layer, which contains some of the same compounds as are found in cartilage. This layer prevents urine and the waste products contained within it from seeping into and damaging the lining. Since the low molecular weight chondroitin sulfate found in Cosequin is available to more than just cartilage cells, the bladder may use it to help support this protective layer.
Couchgrass, cornsilk, marshmallow root and slippery elm bark all have soothing properties for irritated mucus membranes. You could use whatever is most available or try different ones at different times to see if one works better for your cats than another.

I wouldn't use cranberry. If bacteria is still an issue, a derivative of cranberry called D-manoose would be preferable, although it only works against e-coli and Klebsiella types of bacteria. Did the vet do a culture & sensitivity on Bomber's urine?

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 30th, 2009, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm having the same problem with Oksana. I found this: Tract Ease

Here's what it has:

The following high quality herbs were selected for this tincture:

* Couchgrass Root (Triticum repens) is an excellent urinary tract tonic, with disinfectant, soothing, and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been used traditionally to help with inflammatory urinary conditions, and as a mild diuretic. Couchgrass may help eliminate kidney stones and crystals, and may benefit cats with urinary tract disorders.
* Ginger Root (Zingiber officinalis) has been demonstrated in modern research to be a powerful antioxidant and to have strong anti-inflammatory effects, and has also shown evidence of anti-microbial properties.
* Goldenseal Root (Hydrastis canadensis) has been widely used for its tonic and astringent properties and to help protect membranes throughout the body. Goldenseal is thought to help inhibit the action of pathogens in the urinary tract.
* Juniper Berry (Juniperus communis) has been used worldwide to help with a wide array of health issues, including inflammatory bladder conditons and other pathogenic urinary tract issues. Juniper is known to stimulate the kidneys to increase the flow of urine to help the kidneys eliminate waste materials, and it may be useful as a urinary antiseptic.
* Lobelia Herb (Lobelia inflata) may help ease congestion throughout the body, can help relieve stress, and helps to enhance and synergize the formula.
* Marshmallow Root (Althaea officinalis) is considered to be a safe and versatile herb for use with pets for its mucilaginous (lubricating) properties, and it may help to protect and soothe inflamed tissues in the urinary tract.
* Parsley Root (Petroselium crispum) is another widely used, versatile herb, used for its diuretic effects and ability to increase urine output. Parsley also has antiseptic properties which accounts for its traditional use with pathogenic urinary tract issues.
* Uva Ursi Leaf (Arctostaphylos uva ursi) contains a high percentage of tannins, which provide powerful astringent effects to help tone mucous membranes and help stop bleeding. Uva Ursi also contains compounds that may be active against a wide array of pathogens, and has a long history of use for urinary tract issues.

This product was made in an FDA-approved facility using human-grade ingredients.

I just got my bottle today and began giving it not only to Oksana, but to the others. From what I read on the site and in the reviews, it can be used as a maintenance therapy, to help keep the urinary tract healthy.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/