Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 24th, 2009, 02:13 PM

Is Bloat curable in dogs?

Hi all, I'm very sad to say Hunter was suddenly struck with Bloat last night and I rushed him to the emergency vet.

They were able to untwist his stomach using a needle to remove the gas and then insert a tube down his throat. The follow up x-ray indicated things were back where they belonged.

I have him scheduled for surgery on Jan 7th to have his stomach attached to his chest wall. Forget what the procedure is called - as you can imagine I'm rather exhausted after taking him to the vet at 2:30 in the morning.

I communicated with my breeder and she suggested that Bloat isn't always curable even with the surgery so I thought before I spend the $2500 for the surgery I would ask here what people thought about the topic. If he has to go in for emergency again, we will likely have to put him down cause I don't have the $5000 the emergency vets wanted.

I'm so devastated with this news since getting Hunter, he and I have gone through obedience training and tracking training and we are really great together. I was hoping to get him to the point where he could do search and rescue.

Keep in mind I know if its an emergency to get him in ASAP. I've done that already. Just don't know where to go from here.

Norm
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, Norm I'm sorry you're going through this!

I don't know what the percentages are, but I do know that the surgery can be quite successful. Bloat by itself can be manageable if it recurs, and the surgery, if successful, eliminates the torsion that can be so dangerous.

I'd sit down and have a long talk with the vet as soon as you can about the surgery and what you can expect afterward. If you can talk to him in the next week, that will still give you a few days to make your decision.

for Hunter!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 24th, 2009, 03:48 PM

Hello,

I agree totally with hazelrunpack

I would recommend the gastropexy on Hunter. Although no surgery, or procedure for that matter is "guaranteed", I feel you will be happy with your decision to perform surgery. I have performed many prophylactic gastropexies on Great Dane puppies during their spay for example and (touch wood), none of these dogs have presented with a GDV (twisted stomach).

As hazelrunpack said, I most definitely confirm with your vet that Hunter did in fact have a twisted stomach. Or was it just bloat? I can say the gastropexy will prevent the stomach from twisting again, but will not prevent it from bloating.

I hope this helps

Dr.H

Last edited by Dr.H; December 24th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old December 24th, 2009, 04:40 PM

Thank you to both of you for responding on Christmas eve no less.

According to the paperwork I got there was a twist - "An abdominal radiograph confirmed that a twisted, bloated stomach was present (gastric dilation and volvulus)."

So I'm definitely prepared to go ahead with the gastropexy to prevent it from happening again. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't a futile attempt to extend his life. He is only 2 years old.

So you say the bloat can come back - what would cause that? I thought the bloat was a result of the torsion - in that there was a build up of gases trapped from the twist?

Hunter is one tough dog - he barely whimpered and showed that he was in pain and he must have been by the size of the stomach. If it wasn't for the other dog in the house alerting us and Hunter's restlessness, I'm sure he would have been gone by morning.

He's been put on antibiotics (cephalexin) and a gastroprotectant (Sulcrate).

EDIT: when should I expect him to show interest in food again? I know I should give him 4 small meals about a 1/4 cup in size of rice and hamburger (4 to 1 ratio) but he has no interest in it right now.

Thank you again.
Norm

Last edited by norm258; December 24th, 2009 at 04:49 PM.
Old December 24th, 2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by norm258 View Post
So you say the bloat can come back - what would cause that? I thought the bloat was a result of the torsion - in that there was a build up of gases trapped from the twist?
Bloat is generally caused by:
- eating a large meal
- drinking large quantities of water at once
- exercising within 1-2 hours of eating
or a combination of the above

Basically what happens is the stomach fills with gas or fluids, swells, then it twists (while swollen) and this cuts off the blood supply to the rest of the body including the heart causing shock, tissue damage & circulation problems. You & Hunter were very lucky it was noticed in time

You will need to continue with the smaller more frequent meals regardless of whether you have the surgery done or not, try to limit the amount of water Hunter drinks all at once (don't withhold water but allow for rest while drinking in smaller portions like the meals), restrict excerise 2 hours before and after meals.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old December 25th, 2009, 12:18 AM
-

Here is what Linda Arndt (the great dane lady) has to say ....

http://www.greatdanelady.com/article...ropexy_htm.htm
Old December 25th, 2009, 07:17 AM

Thank you Rainbow for the link! There is so much information there it can be a bit overwhelming. I will read it all -- and consider it all at this point.

Hunter ate food for the first time this morning! Yay!

Hunter is on an antibiotic right now too. Should I consider adding Forte Flora to his small meals? My other dog had that when he was put on antibiotics by our regular vet. I'm just thinking that rice and hamburger might not have some of the things his gut needs right now.

Thanks everyone -- and Merry Christmas.

Norm
Old December 27th, 2009, 06:31 PM

It is with great sadness I must report that Hunter and I lost the battle against GDV. He passed away this morning around 7am.

Rest in peace my friend - you are missed.

Norm
Old December 27th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh Norm, I'm so sorry. My heart truly goes out to you.
Hunter

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 27th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Norm I am so sorry for your loss! Please know that Hunter is running free of pain at the Rainbow Bridge waiting with those that have gone on before!

http://www.indigo.org/rainbowbridge_ver2.html

Cindy

RIP
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 27th, 2009, 08:30 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Oh, Norm, I'm so sorry Hunter was a very lucky boy to have had you to love him.

Hunter

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:30 PM

Norm I am so sorry for your loss.
Han Solo - Male Flashy Fawn Boxer - DOB Oct. 2004 (RESCUE)
Chewie - Male White Boxer - DOB Aug. 2007 (RESCUE)
Geordi - Male Fawn Boxer - DOB 2009

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. - Mohandas Gandhi -

~Until there are none, rescue one ~

www.wbbr.ca
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:36 PM

sweet Hunter He is playing at the Rainbow Bridge with those who've gone before

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old December 27th, 2009, 09:42 PM
Senior Contributor

oh norm im so sorry to hear this news brenda and the pins
Old December 28th, 2009, 01:14 PM
-

OH NO, I am so very sorry to hear about Hunter :sad: .....my sincerest condolences to you.
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:18 PM

Thanks everyone. It hasn't been an easy few days. Thanks for the link to the Rainbow Bridge.

Norm
Old December 29th, 2009, 07:21 PM
Senior Contributor

all the best norm brenda and the pins
Old December 29th, 2009, 08:20 PM
owned by Tucker

Sorry about Hunter, Norm I use to have a German Shepherd crossed with a Bernese mountain dog. He got bloat at 5 years of age his stomach never twisted but we did have the gastropexy done on him a few days later and he lived another 4 and a half years until he developed bone cancer and was pts. It is so hard to loose a best friend he has been gone 6 years and it still breaks my heart..My dog bloated when we were traveling and might have been because he was a nervous dog as he had no food or water to make this happen, so its hard to say what causes bloat. I know the after effects of the torsion can kill a dog too, ours was lucky that he hadn't gone that far. Just know in your heart you did all you could for him. My thoughts are with you
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
Doggie Wench

I'm so sorry for your loss :sad: .

RIP Hunter
Old December 29th, 2009, 10:59 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Hunter
Norm Please know we share in your pain. :sad:

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!