Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old August 25th, 2004, 06:51 PM

Questions about Canada...

Just wondering, is it true that Canadians leave their doors unlocked because they feel so much safer out there? This is really interesting to me since Im a paraniod American bc of all the crime. When I heard this I told my fiance that we should move to Canada bc it seems like such a nice place. However, he said its to expensive, is this correct? Sorry about my ignorance, Ive never really had any interest in Canada until I heard that there was less murder out there and less crime. i was always told bad things about Canada and Canadians, i dont know why people here make fun of them so badly. Well, if you can.. give some input on life out there and what not.. i dont know maybe youll have me as a neighbor one day...
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:05 PM

Only in my dreams

The reason why people make fun of other countries, people, is due to ignorance... Our country is NOT without fault, but yes, much safer in areas..
due i'm sure to our laws and population.
I deal with alot of Americans with my job and they are in awe at how diverse we are. We all live together and don't judge by color. No matter where you go, you can see and please pardon the expression ( a crayola box ) Multi Nationalities.

We can learn so much from each other.
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:10 PM

Ouch! I can't believe people say bad things about us! Canada is a great place to live, but it depends where. I don't know about any other Canadians, but I do lock my doors and I even have a security system. Mostly because of paranoia. The cities are expensive to live in, especially big ones like Toronto, Vancouver, and Calgary. The housing costs are high in Calgary, but we don't have any provincial sales taxes like most other provinces so that saves a bit. For the most part, Canada is pretty easy going and friendly but all cities have their problems with crime. I'm not sure what people down there think, but we still have big cities with a million plus people and it's not like we all live on farms with no neighbours! I don't know anyone who doesn't lock their doors here in Calgary. If you really want to move here, you should research the cities if you want to live in a big city, and look into real estate costs. Also, there are a TON of jobs in Calgary right now so making money shouldn't be too hard.
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:14 PM
no, I am not a chick!

In some cases people do not lock their doors because they feel more like they are actually locking them selves in. My doors are locked when no body is home, but if someone is home, they remain unlocked. I don't live in a huge city, but our pop is still 1 mil. As for American's making fun of Canadian's, I am sure there are just as many jokes going the other way. Heck, we even make fun of our own quite often.
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:17 PM

That's so true Terrie! I'm east indian and I was born and raised in Calgary like a lot of other east indian teenagers and young adults I know. Canada definitely has it's faults as no country is perfect, but I know that Canada is one of the best countries to live in, most of the time!

Ignorance is one of the things I can't stand from other people in other countries. We do not all live in igloo's, we do have summer, no I don't know Bob from Calgary, and no I do not speak french. I just don't understand how there can be such ignorance between Canada and the US. I totally respect the US and their diverse history. My best friend is from Texas and her husband is Canadian, but serves in the US army as he has dual citizenship. I love my country and it's a lie if anyone ever says that Candians are not patriotic. We are, we're just quieter about it.

Sorry for my rant, but that's my 2 cents for this thread!!!
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:23 PM

I think that the reason we know so much about the US is because of American television. If they got CBC (and wanted to watch it then they would know more about us. We all probably grew up watching American television. I remember my shows being interrupted because of Watergate!
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyInMyDreams
Just wondering, is it true that Canadians leave their doors unlocked because they feel so much safer out there?
you should of posted this in the:
Off topic forum
This is the place to post NON-PET related thoughts or information. Please post all pet related information in the other forums.

since the:

General Forum
This is a general forum where you can discuss pet-related issues.

hopefully someone will come along and move this Thread...

as for the "Subject of the Thread"
Very good Question !!
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:32 PM

About American Television, that is very true, everyone in the world seems to know everything the US is going through but not always vice versa. I am sorry that Im ignorant when it comes to Canada but I honestly didnt know to much about it until I watch Bowling for Columbine, however, I didnt think you didint have Summer and lived in igloos. lol.. I knew that life over there is quite similiar to us here in the states, just different. I just wasnt sure about the crime and cost to live out there. Im a very paranoid person, I come from a small town out here and now I live in a city and its hard to get use to the homeless and hookers and drug addicts that walk the streets, its scares me. I cant even go to LA. I went there and was holding on to my purse and the arm of my fiance, we had to walk back to the car and leave bc a homeless man came up behind me and ask for change.. I started to scream bc I had seen him following us and thought he was going to rob us! Its sad how scared I am, thats the reason I was asking. When I watched that movie it said Canada has a average of 33 murders a year... The US has almost 12000!!! We lock our doors when were home, when were not, they always have to be locked. Our windows have to be locked. My mom will open her windows once in a while but only to air out the house. If it is not open it is always locked, and she lives in a small town in the middle of nowhere! Just said that there has to be so much hate.
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Did all you know that it is legal in Ontario for a woman to walk around topless? Yup it's true and my daughter and I saw it first hand in Windsor On. My daughter saw a woman walking downtown Windsor topless and said "mommy, why is that ladies boobies out"? I was a bit shocked,I just told her that some people prefer to not wear alot of clothing. You dont see it often except on the beaches. Just a little info about Canada for ya.
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:47 PM

thats very shocking to me. I would not want my daughter or my fiance to see that. I dont even like watching movies or shows where there is alot of nudity or vulgarity, Hmm.. I didnt expect that.. interesting to know
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRONKNiGHT
you should of posted this in the:
Off topic forum
This is the place to post NON-PET related thoughts or information. Please post all pet related information in the other forums.

since the:

General Forum
This is a general forum where you can discuss pet-related issues.

hopefully someone will come along and move this Thread...

as for the "Subject of the Thread"
Very good Question !!
Sorry iRONKNIGHT, Ive seen other topics on here besides ones related to pets so I didnt think it would be an issue. Why havent you posted anything on those? Just wondering... I looked at the other ones and you didnt post.
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:49 PM

Like I said, you dont see it very often. At first when the law was passed you did but not so much anymore
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:50 PM

Why did they pass such a law?
Old August 25th, 2004, 07:52 PM

I really don't know why they did, maybe to show other countries how "free" we are. I wasn't to impressed with it myself, dont really see a reason for it.
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Crusader

Quote:
Originally Posted by coonlover
I really don't know why they did, maybe to show other countries how "free" we are. I wasn't to impressed with it myself, dont really see a reason for it.
no Offence Coonlover... but you really dont know
We're really going off topic here but still makes for good reading

On July 19, 1991, in Guelph, Ontario, a young woman took off her top and walked, topless, along the streets of the city. Eventually, she arrived at a residence where she sat on the porch for a period of time. She was seen by approximately 250 people. Some, young men, came to leer; others to object. Some removed their children, who were playing on their front lawns. Traffic was disrupted by cars and buses slowing down to look. Eventually, the police arrived, as a result of complaints, and the woman stated that she was hot and was more comfortable without her top on. She was charged with committing an indecent act in a public place, contrary to s.173(1) of the Criminal Code. She was convicted at trial. The conviction was upheld by the Summary Conviction Appeal Court. On further appeal to the Ontario Court of Appeal, the conviction was overturned and an acquittal entered. See footnote 1 1

The Crown in Ontario reviewed the case and decided not to appeal the decision to the Supreme Court of Canada. It was concluded that there was no likelihood that leave would be granted by the Supreme Court. The public reaction was strong and quite vocal. Hundreds of letters and telephone calls from throughout the province of Ontario came pouring in to the Attorney General of Ontario protesting the Ontario Court of Appeal decision and requesting that some steps be taken to prevent public toplessness by women. Throughout the summer of 1997, many Ontario municipal councils considered and debated the issue of toplessness by women occurring in their municipality and what, if any, action was to be taken about it. Many of them wrote to the Attorney General of Ontario asking for the provincial government to take some action. The Attorney General wrote to the federal Minister of Justice, as did many members of the public from Ontario, asking for changes to the criminal law.

The problem was placed on the table for discussion at the 1997 meeting of the Criminal Law Section of the Uniform Law Conference. After a lengthy discussion, it was decided that further work needed to be done before any specific recommendations could be made. The following resolution was passed:

That a working group of the Criminal Section of the Uniform Law Conference be established to examine the indecency and public nudity provisions of the Criminal Code as well as the legal and constitutional issues related to the feasibility of local (i.e. municipal) regulations and to report back at the next Conference.

This paper reviews the state of the law relating to indecency and nudity, and the question whether local regulations may be feasible to deal with problems of dress in public places.

Canadian Criminal Code
INDECENCY PROVISIONS IN THE CRIMINAL CODE

The current relevant sections of the Criminal Code are sections 173 and 174. They state as follows:

SECTION 173

(1) Every one who wilfully does an indecent act
(a) in a public place in the presence of one or more persons, or
(b) in any place, with intent thereby to insult or offend any person,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

(2) Every person who, in any place, for a sexual purpose, exposes his or her genital organs to a person who is under the age of fourteen years is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

SECTION 174

(1) Every one who, without lawful excuse,
(a) is nude in a public place, or
(b) is nude and exposed to public view while on private property, whether or not the property is his own,
is guilty of an offence punishable on summary conviction.

(2) For purposes of this section, a person is nude who is so clad as to offend against public decency or order.

(3) No proceedings shall be commenced under this section without the consent of the Attorney General.

Other offences in the Criminal Code that contain the concept of indecency are:

Section 163(2)(b) [publicly exhibiting an indecent show]
Section 167 [indecent theatrical performance]
Section 168 [mailing indecent matter]
Section 175(1)(b) [causing disturbance by indecent exhibition]
Section 197 [definition of common bawdy house includes a place resorted to for the practice of acts of indecency].

The development of the law relating to indecency involves all of the above sections. The criteria used by the courts to determine indecency are applicable to any section where the concept of indecency is involved.

Extended information
http://www.law.ualberta.ca/alri/ulc/criminal/enude.htm
Old August 25th, 2004, 08:35 PM

Well excuuuuuuuuuuse me . All I know is that when I go to the beach, (usually Longpoint) I always see women sunbathing topless, I didnt have all that info. Thanks for the lesson in law.
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:05 PM

Hmm, now that is all squared away lol, is longpoint a public beach? I just think I would feel uncomfortable being around that and having children see that. There are places like that out here to. Lake Havasu (dont know if you ever heard of it) is one of those places, i have never been there but i guess the girls run around topless and the men give them beads for doing it. Or they simply show their breast and then recieve some beads. I hate when women belittle themselves like that. It makes me sick. They need to get some diginity. <- way off topic.. my apologizes.
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:07 PM

Just like in some states prostitution is legal (Nevada I think?), we have some funny laws too. It comes down to freedom and equality I think. Some women see their top half as just objects of life as opposed to the sexual objects that some other people do. I personally don't go topless however i'm not sure I object to the fact that some other people do.

Its really just about differences. For instance, in Ontario (all of Canada?) marriages are allowed between people of all genders. Whereas the States doesn't fancy having that happen.

Laws are devised by the system supported by the people. So if the people there want it, so shall it be done. Atleast ideally .

Canada's nice. I lock my doors but my neighbour doesn't. Of course I grew up in the city where as they grew up in the country. We now both live in a semi rural area.

Crime is less then the States however it is increasing, much like in the States. I'm hoping they'll stick a cork in the problem before it gets to be as bad as some of the cities down yonder.

It can be expensive up here however it depends on your location. Again, very similar to the States.

Overall, were very similar, our two countries however we have our own cultures that make us just a bit unique.

Dee
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delirium
For instance, in Ontario (all of Canada?) marriages are allowed between people of all genders. Whereas the States doesn't fancy having that happen.
Same sex marriage is legal in BC as well.

The city of Vancouver is gorgeous and has a higher standard of living. Real estate is at an all time high. It's very diverse and that's what I love. The city of Surrey, on the other hand, has the highest murder rate per capita so we too experience media frenzy. Sometimes I wonder if BC is the best place for us... then I think we do have the best weather out here in the westcoast! I prefer rain over snow!
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:28 PM

Hey Dreams. I was just joking around about the whole yes we have summer, no we don't live in igloos thing! LOL!! I know that a lot has changed since 1801!! LOL!!!

Anyways, yeah, Canada rocks and we do have some strange laws. Look into living here if you really wanna move, it's a great place!

I'm actually thinking of relocating to Texas myself to be closer to our friends. I miss them terribly and now that my friend in the US Army is being deployed to Iraq in Dec., it makes me wanna be there for his wife and step son......
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:33 PM

Yes Longpoint is a public beach, and many people bring their kids there, not myself though. I've been there only a couple times and both times I've seen too much. I haven't brought my daughter there. I dont want her getting any ideas! I felt uncomfortable seeing young children ( especially young boys ) gawking at them, and some of them were much older women who look like they had a few kids themselves, kind of a scary scene
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:15 PM

HAHA, yea I would find that "scary" too. Totally understand not taking your children. I love the fact that same sex marriages are legal. Im not a homosexual but I believe in the same rights for everyone.. color, creed, religion. I am a hispanic women and when I moved to the city I actually had more racist problems then I had when I was living in a small town. You guys also said its very diverse and one mentioned its like a crayon box, that sounds great. I wish more people would be understanding of others. I would never condemn anyone for who they are. ::sigh::
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:20 PM

Dreams, it sounds like you're a closet Canadian! Not that it's a bad thing! Just don't take your kids for a walk down Ste. Catherine street in Montreal. The signs on all the strip clubs are almost as explicit as any nude beach! So ... when are you moving up here, eh?
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:28 PM

Maybe I am, Maybe I am.. ... I definitely will take all the advice I can get on where not to venture. It does sound like I have to save up some bucks before I can ever make that move. Ive told my fiance in the past that I wanted to take a trip out there to check it out and see how we like it. Have you guys ever seen Bowling for Columbine? It doesnt have a whole to say about Canada but its a very good documentary that really gives you things to think about. Pick it up if you havent seen it.
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:33 PM

When I read the original post the first thing I thought of was the Bowling for Columbine movie. The movie makers made it look like our low income housing is all new townhouses. We don't have any "real" poverty here. If I recall right they filmed in Sarnia where apparently not many people lock their doors.

We're moving out to Simcoe soon and hubby won't be going to Longpoint!

Georgette
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hounds003
When I read the original post the first thing I thought of was the Bowling for Columbine movie. The movie makers made it look like our low income housing is all new townhouses. We don't have any "real" poverty here. If I recall right they filmed in Sarnia where apparently not many people lock their doors.

Georgette
Wait, so the low income housing is all new townhouses or not? Sorry I didnt quite get it, sometimes Im not to fast on the uptake. Yea, every door that Michael Moore went to was unlocked and that that was so strange. Everyone here is afraid of home invasions and what not. I hear disturbing stories everyday. Now that I live in the city, murder is constantly in the news. A little bit ago, not to far from where I live, some guy ran into some apartments and just went on a rampage, shooting everyone in sight. Such scary thoughts.
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:53 PM

Dreams, if you do decide to move here there are a couple things you'll have to learn the very popular "eh", and replace z with zed. Bowling for Columbine was a great documentary, so was Farenhieght 911. I am proud to be Canadian...eh
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Been living in Ontario for 5 1/2 years and I've never heard of Longpoint. Where's that?
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:59 PM

Quote:

Georgette
Yea, smart move.. my hubby wont be looking anything not belonging to me.. tee hee
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:05 PM

Its on lake erie in a town called Port Rowen, Im in Brantford close to Simcoe, takes me about an hr to get there. Longpoint also has a campground I hear is pretty nice, haven't camped there myself yet.