Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Lost & Found (Pls include a pic if possible & write location in TITLE)

Old August 25th, 2004, 05:15 PM

Unhappy Tom wasn't really given a home - help!

Hi There,
I have recently been made aware that my cat that was given away (without my permission) when i was on holidays, but he wasnt' in fact given away. He was put in a box and put in the dumpster. I was told a nice home was found for him. I have been upset since the day I found out he was "given away" and today I have just been told the truth (3 years later) I am beside myself with grief. I dont' know if hes alive or not but i have to try everything. He is a Male cat white on his nose, mouth, legs and tummy and the majority of his back, tail and face surrounding his eyes and head are all tabby. His sides are tabby too. Hes around 5 years old and extremely friendly. I have his brother and had the two of them since they were 7 weeks old. tom was given a new "home" about 3 years ago.
If you have any info on this please contact me. If hes in a happy home I would never dream of taking him away from that but i need to know hes ok.

Thanks.
Mel
Attached Images

Last edited by mszucs; August 27th, 2004 at 09:24 PM. Reason: added pix
Old August 25th, 2004, 05:46 PM

How awful, I feel for you. Who did this to you? I had something similiar happen to me when I was younger. I had a kitten who I loved to death and when I came home from school one day I went to find her and play with her a bit. My mom told me she had to give her to a family that needed a cat really bad because a little girl that was smaller than me just lost her kitty and was really really sad, I was really hurt and begged and pleaded for my mom to go and pick her but she kept saying no. Later, I thought that maybe the little girl would give her a good home and I decided to try to get over losing her. However, I found out about 3 months ago that that wasnt the case at all. A couple cousin of mine had come over to visit and was telling my moms dog to "get" the cat, my mom wasnt in the room when this happened. They got the dog, which was a big boxer, barking and going after the cat. The cat ran out of the doogie door, the dog right behind, she tried to make it up a tree but the dog had her by her legs and pulled her down and tore her apart, killing her. I was so outraged. I couldnt believe it! ... So I feel for you, I really do... Why did they put the cat in the box? I know it must be terrible to not know if he is ok or to not know what happened. Once again, Im sorry that they did such a thing, just when you think people cant get any worse....
Old August 25th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, I don't have words for that kind of cruelty! Makes my heart and everything I have inside......hurt!

I am so sorry.
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:54 PM
~Cat Servent~

I'm all weepy....that is just aweful, both stories....and I pray that Tom really did end up finding a good home, maybe with a big hearted garbage man...

And as for these jerkasses that treat animals that way....I know I'm supposed to pray for their forgiveness....but really I pray that they get theirs one day!!!!!!!
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:15 PM

I agree! I think that anyone who is cruel to an animal should have the same done to them as they did to the animal, see how they would like it!!
Old August 26th, 2004, 03:05 AM

Trust me I couldnt agree more. I was so devasted, you have no idea. To think about what she went through and how her life had to end because of some mindless and heartless children. They may be my cousins but since Ive found out what really happened I havent spoken a work to them and I dont think I ever will again.
Old August 30th, 2004, 07:23 AM
Senior Contributor

mszucs......How terrible, so someone finally told you the truth who? do they know which dumpster? Is it still there? I know its a longshot but if so and it was my cat I would post my story by the dumpster in hopes that someone found the cat even 3 years later you must be beside your self so sorry for your loss

OnlyInMyDreams......That also is horrible Mom shoulda been watching a little better and I would have no problem in disowning those nasty cousins they have a heart of pure stone nasty people
Old September 1st, 2004, 11:13 PM
~Cat Servent~

Just an idea, but if the dumpster is picked up by a company maybe you can call them, and perhaps they may know what happened to him... someone that works there may have found him and taken him home or found him a home... either way worth a shot!
Old December 7th, 2004, 11:25 PM

You Know it really is amazing how many sadistic as*h***s there are in the human race a couple of years ago just before xmas a border collie showed up in our neighbourhood she was going up to peoples doors she looked well kepted and she was well trained but all the neighbours done was say who the hell does that dog belong too and chase her away well i went out with my dog and brought her inside the house my dog was delighted to have another dog to play with The cats where not so happy LOL!!! Anyhow two days later i had her back with her owner her name is Kelly as i found out when i talked to him on the phone. Now it is me that is looking for my Male cat Tiger he disapeared at the being of september this year and those thoughts go through my head maybe he fell prey to a coyte or racoon or maybe some moron did something to him you can't blame the wildlife but anybody who is that cruel to any animal deserves nothing less than a shotgun and a shovel as far as i am concerned .Hope you find your Tomcat all the best
Old December 8th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Senior member - formerly goldengirl

Shotgun AND a shovel is too kind. I vote for just the shovel !!! Either that, or be a d*mn bad shot with the gun
Old December 28th, 2004, 09:46 AM

My sympathy, and some ideas for you

Please accept my sincerest sympathy for your situation.

There may be a way that you can find out what happened to your cat.

Have you consulted your local pound or humane society?

You could call and ask to speak to someone who was working three years ago and collecting stray animals.

There may be a slim chance that they remember finding a cat in a dumpster (after all it's a shocking situation).

There may be some hope your cat was adopted by a kind family and is now living.

I don't think, however, that you'll get your cat back, if he is alive.

But I am sure this is a very hard lesson for you to be extremely careful who you leave your companion animals with.

I find that most people are quite neglectful and ignorant about pet care. They simply do not care, and don't see animals as having a right to safety.

By the way, I wonder if you could have that person prosecuted. I would look into it at least. If you have the resources, you could sue that person.

I believe that there must be consequences for such cruelty.
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Re be very careful who you leave your companion animals with. I thought in this instance the people were her parents. Families can be very cruel - I had a friend whose father put her cat in a bag and drowned it because he was allergic to it. She only found out wbout this recently so IO was thinking this was a similar situation.

But it is important to have good caregivers!!