Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 30th, 2009, 04:22 PM

Viral Wart, papilloma, or tumor?

I found this bump on my 5 year old mini schnauzer's lip yesterday. What do you think it is? I looked in a couple of my pet health encyclopedias and it sounds like it's either a wart or a papilloma -- I just really hope it's not a tumor.

(Sorry for the terrible quality of the photo! And her beard is orange because she'd just finished eating some baby food.)

Thanks!!
~Nat, and Mika the schnauzer
Old November 30th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

The only way to know for sure is to have it looked at by a vet. If there's even a remote possibility that it's a tumor, seeing a vet sooner rather than later is probably a good idea.

She' looks like a cutie--she has lovely white teeth.

Welcome to the board. You'll be bugged for pics of the rest of her if you stick around for a while. We love to see pics of furbabies.

Regardless, be sure you have her checked out soon and let us know what the vet thinks.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 1st, 2009, 04:04 PM

Thanks for the reply! I'll definitely make sure to schedule a vet appointment!

Your English Setters are beautiful by the way, and good for you to foster

~Nat
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

LOL...I'm a foster failure, Nat. They're all here to stay

Keep us posted on how the vet visit goes, k?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:29 AM

Good news, I made an appointment for this afternoon so we'll have the results soon

LOL, I'd love to foster dogs (I foster small animals) and I probably will in the future. I have a feeling I'd become a foster failure too, though
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:52 PM

Went to the vet, she took a blood sample from the bump and is sending it in for further testing. The results should be in by Friday.

Only two days, but it's going to be a long wait....
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:31 PM

I hate waiting Did she offer an opinion as to what it might be?

Old December 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
chronically insane.

I've seen lots of dogs with things on their lips and eye area as well. Usually much older dogs though. Just to hopefully make you feel a bit better, even if you do get bad news, it's in such a perfect spot to be easily removed And you noticed it early.

It's probably nothing. From just the looks of it I'd call it some kind of wart or cyst.

Hope results are good

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old December 4th, 2009, 06:04 PM

Thanks both of you

The vet said that it could be anything, and the only way to really know is the blood test. They were supposed to call us with the news today, but I guess they haven't gotten the results back.

Thanks kathryn, that does make me feel a bit better. She's had cysts before, like a lot of schnauzers, but I've never seen anything on her lip before which is why I'm concerned
Old December 4th, 2009, 08:17 PM

*sigh* Will you have to wait till Monday, now, or are they open on Saturday?

Old December 7th, 2009, 04:36 PM

We should have gotten the call today (not open on Saturday's) but nope, no call.

Oh well -- the bump has gotten smaller!! I wouldn't even call it a bump anymore...it's more of a circle of lighter pigment. Woohoo!! Probably means that it wasn't a tumor!
Old December 7th, 2009, 05:24 PM

Excellent that it's shrinking! Maybe it's just a cyst, then, and draining it helped

Don't be afraid to call the vet's office to see if the results came in and just got lost in the shuffle. Usually, no news is good news, though.

Old December 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM

The vet called yesterday, and said that it was just an infection, probably from a thorn or some other object that got stuck in her lip. the results showed that there were just a lot of white blood cells. The vet said that we can give antibiotics if we want (no way!), but I said that it had gotten smaller. She asked, "Is it 80% smaller?" and yes, it is at least 80% smaller. So, she said that if it comes back they can remove it, but it's fine for now.

So relieved! Thanks for the support!
Old December 9th, 2009, 10:53 AM

Excellent news! What a relief!

Now, of course, we need more pictures of your baby!

Old December 11th, 2009, 03:57 PM

Of course! You can see some on my deviantart, along with my sheltie "Wall-e" and my cat Shadow.

http://squeakcurly.deviantart.com/
Old December 11th, 2009, 06:43 PM

Oh, what a beautiful fur clan you have there, mikawalle!!! Shadow really does look like a Queen. Does she lord it over the handsome Wall-e and the beautiful Mika?

Old December 11th, 2009, 06:55 PM
-

Yep, my bet is that Shadow rules the house. ....she is a beauty btw.

What a lovely girl Mika is and glad that the lump is nothing serious.

And, Wall-e is just soooooo handsome.

I think you should post more pics in our photo forum so more members will be able to see your beautiful fuzzbutts.
Old December 12th, 2009, 03:29 PM

Thanks both!

LOL, yep, Shadow definitely rules the household! She often swats at the dogs just for fun (and she has claws, so the dogs know to watch out). She especially picks on Wall-e for some reason, I guess because he's the newcomer!

I'm so glad I still have her -- she's 15 years old, and still healthy and happy.