Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old August 24th, 2004, 10:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Just wondering?

When you foster do you pay for:
1. Vet bills?
2. cat litter and food and KMR if needed?
3. dog food?
4. vaccines needed before adoption?
5. Items needed ....like collars and leash's?
6. meds for possible sick animals?

I was wondering what was involved financially
Old August 25th, 2004, 09:10 AM
Senior Contributor

The rescue SHOULD pay for all the things you mentioned, unless the vet bills were incurred because of something you did, or neglected to do, to cause the illness or injury.

Rescues are usually running on a deficit, or with very little extra money, and if a foster is able to pay for some food or cat litter, the rescue would be very appreciative if they did so.

IF the foster cannot afford any of these items, the rescue should pay for them.

Lucky Rescue does not ask anyone to pay for anything but is VERY grateful if someone offers. The only thing a foster is asked to do is to bring the animal to any adoption events, and to take it to vet appointments.

If you're thinking of fostering, just be careful!
Old August 25th, 2004, 10:06 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
If you're thinking of fostering, just be careful!
Careful? of what sort of things?

I already offered to volunteer at the shelter close to me, but they never call, very small place I think they must have it covered so I got to thinking what would be involved in rescue fostering I thought of calling around, until my coffee started to work and I came here to ask the honest, I thought if I called somewhere and they were desperate for help they might not tell all, (yes I am leary of some....lol I trust the animal most but hey they don't talk.....lmao)
Old August 25th, 2004, 11:12 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry, I should have explained. I just mean be careful of the organization.

I know of some people who have offered to foster for "rescues" around here, and have promptly had cats with litters of kittens dumped on them, and they were unable to get any help from the rescue at all, or even get them to return their phone calls.

One such person who got stuck with a litter is now desperate because the kittens are 5 months old, still not rehomed, or even spayed or neutered,and the rescue is not returning her calls..

Ask lots of questions about how they work to get the animals adopted, how many animals they have at one time,(one place here has about 500 cats) if they have a written foster agreement, and about the financial side of it.
Old August 25th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Yes you must be careful.

Unfortunately here in Ontario we have a few unreputable organizations whom are calling themselves rescues when indeed they are not. Some have gone as far as to relocate and move or change their names. Some get pups from mills then try to call them rescues. They ask for donations for care without tax receipts, money orders to pay for expenses and are NOT recognized as charities.

So unfortunately while you may try to do good, you just have to watch who you deal with for sure.

What kind of fostering did you want to do Iggs?
Old August 25th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Talking

The rescue I foster for is great, she will pay for all vet bills and food, I have paid for his collar and leash, toys and treats and some obedience classes but she will pay for that also if you are unable to. I have 2 of my own dogs so extra treats are always there and the obedience I did because I wanted to but she will pay for that also if needed.

I am fortunate enough that I am able to encure some extra costs but it is not at all expected and I really don't mind doing it because if i can help with some of his costs it is more money she can put towards another dog in need.

I love the experience and every time I look at our forster boy i am so glad we have him and my girls (2 lab shep cross) adore him and have welcomed him into the family.

We also get the last say on the adoption process and that means alot to me because we have taken this animal in and brought him back to health and he is now able to trust again I would hate to see him just go to anyone.

So far we have had him 4 months and turned down 2 potential homes because they just didnt seem right, one wanted to tie him outside and had a very bratty kid that said some things I just didnt like and the other lied on her aplication and we found out. I would really love for this boy to find his forever home so we could take in another, he has truely blossemed in our care and I know he would make someone a wonderful companion .

Good luck to you and I hope you find a rescue to foster for. You will find it a very heartwarming experience!!
Old August 27th, 2004, 07:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Thanks for the info and the warnings I will keep this in mind when I decide to take the leap as I want to be 100% dedicated when I do.
Thanks again
Old August 27th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Toonces what type of dog are you fostering and how old? I really admire what you are doing and the fact that you absorb some of the costs really says something about your dedication to the rescue dogs. Just a little bit can help to save another dog. Well done.
Old August 27th, 2004, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I foster a gsd from a rescue in Toronto, you can see him at www.gsrt.net his name is Jerry. I just love them so much and wanted to help so bad and I ahve a very understanding husband that welcomes every animal I bring home hehe.

We think he is between 3 and 5 yrs old, when we got him he had been running in Oshawa for quite some time, he was 20 lbs under weight had a terrible ear infection and no fur on his tail or bum but he now looks amazing and is the sweetest kindest boy ever! He took his meds so easy and loves his baths and was no trouble at all. He has now become such a sucky we call him jealous Jerry because he whines if the other dogs or the cats are getting attention.

We had him about a month when I came home with a 7 week old kitten and he plays so genlte with her it is amazing, she can crawl all over him and he is ok with that.

If we decide to adopt him we will still contunie to foster, whats another mouth to feed when you have 3 large dogs already, we have lots of room and 5 acres for them to run and play .

Thankyou for your kind words!!
Old September 16th, 2004, 11:45 AM

Jerry looks like he'd rather eat the cat than the food......
Old September 16th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL yes it does look that way !

But he really does love her and will go to great lenghts to protect her from the other dogs if need be. she is a real little monkey and causes alot of trouble around here getting all 3 dogs riled up, if things get to out of hand my oldest cat Toonces (14) steps in and quiets things down. It's really funny seeing a 12 lb cat making 3 large dogs all cower behind me but he is the king of the house