Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time! > Kitten health

Old December 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM

Question Foster kitten had rhino, now he is too thin! Help me get him to gain weight back!

I am fostering a siamese kitten, about 13 weeks old.. he recently had a bad case of rhino and was on 2 courses of antibiotics ... he had refused to eat and I was force feeding him for a while.. he was quite ill and lost some weight.. at this point, he is eating again but he is very thin! he is back to healthy, he's playing, eating well and "talking" as siamese like to do. My concern is that he constantly seems to be cold, always cuddling on your neck or with my dog..his paw pads are freezing... and he sits all huddled up.. he appears fragile to me! I think he needs to get back to a healthy weight to feel 100% better.
I feed him Orijen dry and EVO wet food (more wet than dry) .. I am free feeding him right now as I want him to gain weight... so, my question is this.. is there a good quality food I can feed him temporarily to help him gain his weight back? Is there a supplement I could be giving him to help him gain his weight back? I know siamese are not supposed to have the round bellies but right now I can see his bones on his hips, his ribs, etc... I just want to get him back to a healthy weight so we can get this cutie adopted into a forever home! Any advice is appreciated! Thanks
Old December 8th, 2009, 08:02 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Take away all dry and feed canned only. Supplementing him with raw chicken along with the canned will help him build muscle mass faster than any commercial cat food.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey

Tags
food, gain weight, rhino, thin