Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum

Old November 18th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Asthma and the weather

Question to my fellow asthma sufferer's. Do you find you need less of your medication during cooler weather?
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:39 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Normally, yes. But for some reason, November has been a real pain...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:39 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

cooler weather yes,cold nope increases.. hazel i didn't know you had asthma too.
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yeah, I caught some bug shortly before I joined here...damaged the lungs and I've had an atypical case ever since

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:51 PM
-
Asteroids Champion, Starship Legend Champion, Rabbit Hunter Champion, Magic Ball Champion, Candy Tetris Champion, Bounce Back Champion, Breakout Champion

really what inhaler do you use..i didn't know you could get it from getting a bug.. things you learn every day.. I do find if i get a bad cold like now it almost always turns into bronchitous.
Old November 18th, 2009, 08:56 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

It was some pertussis-like thing...never did figure out what...ended up with pneumonia and non-allergy mediated asthma. Believe it or not, I've only had one cold since then. The only thing I use for the asthma any more is an albuterol inhaler. It seems to be getting better as my lungs heal.

Old November 18th, 2009, 09:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Hazel, makes sense that something like you had may prompt asthma. Mine was prompted by the allergy.

I've noticed when it's really hot and especially humid, my asthma feels worse. It's been cool here for several days, in the mid 70's and it's nice to not need the inhaler as often.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old November 18th, 2009, 09:04 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

You need to move up here. We haven't seen 70 for quite a while! Nice and cool here.

Old November 18th, 2009, 09:05 PM
-

lol, i would be happy with just using one inhaler, i have 4 now.:sad:
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:08 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
lol, i would be happy with just using one inhaler, i have 4 now.:sad:
First step on your road to one inhaler--stop smoking

Old November 18th, 2009, 09:09 PM
-

i sooooo knew that was coming....yes mom, it's hard tho...:sad:
Old November 18th, 2009, 09:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeesh, 4 inhalers! Come on woman, just think being able to cut down on those meds if you stopped smoking!

Old November 18th, 2009, 09:13 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
Yeesh, 4 inhalers! Come on woman, just think being able to cut down on those meds if you stopped smoking!
i'm gonna come down there and smack you,, after i tan for abit first tho.
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslan View Post
i'm gonna come down there and smack you,, after i tan for abit first tho.
Come on down!

Old November 19th, 2009, 08:25 AM
-

let it get a little colder up here to make it worth the trip,,, then somebodies' gonna get hurt..
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

He he, you might have a long wait. Last year it didn't really start getting super cool until around January. But, these last couple of weeks haven't been too bad, so we might get a cold spell earlier. Then I'll let you have it.

Old November 19th, 2009, 08:34 AM
-

i meant colder up here not down there silly wabbit.. and teehee on the letting me have it.. Think your best chance at that just passed(while i was sick). Now back to inhalers,, i would probably suffocate if i had to pay for mine like you do,, figure, ventolin, advair, alvescor and spiriva, one of each every month The advair alone is $160. up here.
Old November 19th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I'd be paying over $300 a month if I was on all of those. As it is, my Advair costs me $180!

Old November 19th, 2009, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Hey, lets hear it for the poor Canadians who don't have drug coverage! I traded off group coverage many years ago thinking I would not need it. Now, here it is many years later, I have only the group coverage I had when I became disabled - which is nothing - and no spouse to cover me either. Too young for OAS coverage, too rich (according to the government) for Trillium, and too many pre-existing conditons to get individual coverage.
I try to cojole my doctor for as many "physcian samples" as possible. The symbicort I use is about $100.00 per month, and that is just for that med for asthma alone!
Oh the stupidity of youth!

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old November 19th, 2009, 09:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by quincymycat View Post
Hey, lets hear it for the poor Canadians who don't have drug coverage! I traded off group coverage many years ago thinking I would not need it. Now, here it is many years later, I have only the group coverage I had when I became disabled - which is nothing - and no spouse to cover me either. Too young for OAS coverage, too rich (according to the government) for Trillium, and too many pre-existing conditons to get individual coverage.
I try to cojole my doctor for as many "physcian samples" as possible. The symbicort I use is about $100.00 per month, and that is just for that med for asthma alone!
Oh the stupidity of youth!
I've sort of got the same problem. About 3 years ago my boss offered to pay $200 a month for me to get individual coverage. My monthly premium was $275, so I had to cover the remainder. Of course, the older you get the higher your premium gets, and knowing he's not going to offer up more than $200, and my premium was now getting up to the $400 a month mark, I canceled my policy. Since I have a pre-existing condition, the only thing I could get that wouldn't hold that against me is a super basic plan. It's like a discount plan. Advair costs $195, my plan offers $15 off (wow), so I pay like $180. Of course, I get the coupons they send, and I also try to get as many samples as I can from my doctors office too. It's ridiculous.

Every individual plan I found had like a 2 year waiting period on pre-existing conditions. Please, why bother?

Old November 19th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

I hear you AG. In Canada your doctor's visits are paid for, but dawg help you if you don't have coverage and need medication and you are in that "grey" area between those that supposedly are "too wealthy" to need help or are "poor" enough to receive social assistance.
Doctor's samples really do come in handy though.

Yes, I believe in the Rainbow Bridge
Old November 19th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Yeah, I fall into that middle. I was trying to get prescription drug assistance and was told I made too much money.

I wish someone would tell my pocketbook that.

Old November 19th, 2009, 01:11 PM

qc trillium isn't all that great .we are lucky they cover with a deductible most of our meds you literally have to earn 0 to get coverage. my daughter who has been independant for years applied to trillium but was told they do not cover her meds for gerds, the one that they accept dont help her so she was stuck paying for it herself.