Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 8th, 2009, 07:44 AM
Senior Contributor

"Cat-City"on Global TV Friday 8pm..

Friday night 8pm,Global TV will show a docu about a large "feral"cat-colony at Bluffers park in Toronto,I'll be watching.
At one point after some of the cats attacked a dog,the cats were supposed to be removed,but due to protests from the public,they are safe for now.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Senior Contributor

ohhh sounds interesting, I'm going to try to watch it also
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:31 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Just a reminder - tonight

On Global at 8pm - Cat City. That's Fri, Oct 9th.
It's a documentary filmed mostly in Toronto about the stray/feral cat population problem. They talk to a few rescues. One of them is the one I work with.
Take a peek. Might be a good one to listen to.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up!!

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old October 9th, 2009, 05:14 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh I just bookmarked it on the TV Can't wait to watch it!
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:09 PM
~Cat Servent~

:sad: I have time shifting so I watched it from out east at 7.... I love love love that woman from Toronto Cat Rescue, if you ever talk to her 14, tell her she is my new hero. And the lady that passed away from the sanctuary, God Bless her and all she did, I hope they are able to continue!

And the man that is feeding the colony by the lake, and the volunteers, and the man from the calgary HS, and the foster homes and..... well I just have to say my heart is just filled right now with love and respect for them all.... And all the beautiful, beautiful kitties...

I just hope that show reaches a lot of people tonight.... I don't think anyone with even half a heart could not be touched and inspired by it.

(Although when they showed the cages with the 'X's on them I cried so hard I scared the kitties:sad:.... so have your kleenex ready.)

(ok and I'm still blubbering.... )

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 9th, 2009, 07:42 PM
-

I just opened the tv .... :sad:
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:00 PM
-

ARRRRGGGG now I feel like going to a shelter and adopt them all :sad:
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:05 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

I dare anyone to watch that and not shed some tears. :sad:
sweet babies.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:12 PM
150% PRO S/N

If anyone has satellite this show is being shown at different times tonight. It is so worthwhile watching. Just makes me wish I could do a whole lot more than the little I do. I am so proud to work through TCR to get my kitties spayed.

Old October 9th, 2009, 08:16 PM
-

You already do so much 14+ !!!!
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:21 PM
150% PRO S/N

Not enough Frenchy, not enough. :sad: I need to win a lottery. A BIG one!!!!

I taped the show if anyone wants to watch it and didn't get a chance to. I don't know how to put it on discs from vcr though. If anyone does and lives close they can come and grab the tape. I'm sure the show will be shown again. Or at least I hope it will.

Old October 9th, 2009, 08:30 PM
-

I'm sure people could get it from the internet too , if they go on the Global site.

I know what you mean by winning the lottery. If I ever do , I'll quit my job and have a catuary , and a sanctuary for older and neglected / abused dogs. I'll have so many , it will be more work than what I do right now : working for a living.
Old October 9th, 2009, 08:40 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I'm sure people could get it from the internet too , if they go on the Global site.

I know what you mean by winning the lottery. If I ever do , I'll quit my job and have a catuary , and a sanctuary for older and neglected / abused dogs. I'll have so many , it will be more work than what I do right now : working for a living.
And you will have to hire people to help you. But that would be ok because you would be able to afford it!!
I keep saying if I win a large amount the Toronto Cat Rescue would be getting a cheque for a million. With all they do they deserve it. Ferne is an amazing woman.
And poor Second Chance. We can only pray they get some kind of help. :sad:

Old October 9th, 2009, 11:03 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh gawd... This brought so many memories of my shelter days :sad: :sad: :sad: I was in charge with picking who would live and who would die I was responsible for 2000 cats dying every year for 4 years This show really hits home, why oh why do we continue to allow this to happen :sad:
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:23 AM
Senior Contributor

This show made me happy and so sad all at the same time. Happy that there are such caring and loving people who look after those cats and so sad that there is such a need to care for them.I was so upset that the lady at Second Chance passed away.

I hated seeing those X on the cages too, it just broke my heart.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:56 AM
150% PRO S/N

Thank you ladies for watching it. At times it was very difficult to watch. In fact I had to close my eyes as the tears streamed more than once. Poor Tulsa, the starved kitty. How in these days can we allow that to happen? Sweetie. You are in a much better place now.

More people need to see this show. Maybe it would be a wake up call. Let's hope the powers that be in some cities did see it and will decide to act on it. Maybe we could all borrow the man in Calgary to "fix" us too. Of course once the kitties are all fixed they still need to be fed.

And we wouldn't have to worry about 0 population growth for cats. There are always enough bloody breeders around to fill the "need".

Old October 10th, 2009, 07:50 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Thanks Chico & 14+ for giving us heads up. Illuminating & well researched, EXCELLENT documentary, gut stemming tears :sad:

Joyce Smith 79 imagine? Founder of Second Chance Wildlife Sanctuary. This beautiful woman saved cats for over 25 years by herself and a little later ONE volunteer This woman sooo earned her wings may she now be in peace :sad:

Not sure who was who but Rob Brydges & Bluffers Park cats wtg you rock

Sandi Hudson or was it Fernie Sinkins (the blond woman) is she with the THS or Toronto Cat Rescue or are they one of the same anyway brought alot of light to this crisis

omg 14+ Tulsa people RIP lil one

Bill Bruce, bylaw chief City of Calgary opened a new vet clinic which has began S/N'ing pets of low-income Calgarians for FREE operating using funds collected through the city's "cat licensing program" EVERY CITY SHOULD FOLLOW

PEEPS: Oct 16th is "NATIONAL FERAL CAT DAY" why not try & book a meeting with your city councillor on this day & bring them a copy of Cat City, ask them what their prepared to do to help all the homeless cats in your city?

Something's got to give

Last edited by Golden Girls; October 10th, 2009 at 08:16 AM.
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:53 AM
150% PRO S/N

Ahhhh Chico, I finally found your post you told me you posted. DUH me!!! I looked and looked and couldn't find it!! I had also posted about it in that "difference between dogs and cats" thread AG started last week.
I hope you are peeping in and know that I watched. I hope a ton of people watched and will now start moving toward doing something about it instead of biatching all the time about stray cats pooping in their gardens (good fertilizer btw. landfills are starting to sell it as that) and spraying around their property. SAVE THE CATS!! That's what you could do!!! Obviously not all need saved but OMG!! :sad::sad:

Old October 10th, 2009, 09:07 AM
150% PRO S/N

Fern is the founder of Toronto Cat Rescue. This woman is amazing!!! I have met numerous trappers who work with her to get as many of these cats s/n and released as possible. One trapper in particular worked for two years trying to trap one male. He was very wiley, always managing to avoid the trap. You know what finally got him? Catnip!!
I was so proud when I called my from TCR and asked her last minute in a panic if I could add Jupiter to the list of kitties coming in next day to be fixed (I already had 3 others going in) and she told me she considered me to be one of her trappers!! OMG! What a feeling.
These angels go out daily to feed. You saw the part last night where they were making the winter shelters for the kitties in the boatyard. So sad Daisy couldn't find another kitty to cuddle with. It is heartbreaking.
And yes, Rob and the Bluffer's Park cats. What an absolute of a man!!

If anyone is interested in visiting the TCR website......
http://torontocatrescue.ca/store/index.asp
But warning!! Cuteness overload with the kitty pics shown!! I just want to cuddle all of them. These ones are the lucky ones. They are the ones that are safe in fosters' homes. God Bless every single last one of those ladies and gents who go overboard to help and foster these kitties.

GG - Thank you so much for passing on that info about Feral Cat day!! I will do what I can here.

Old October 10th, 2009, 10:17 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

oh ok it was Fern that was transporting/carrying like 8 kennels into the pound It's necessary but very hard to see the cats being trapped, scared out of their minds. Learned putting a blanket soothes them a little good to know this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
You saw the part last night where they were making the winter shelters for the kitties in the boatyard. So sad Daisy couldn't find another kitty to cuddle with. It is heartbreaking
Couldn't believe my eyes actually, so dedicated and yes heartbreaking. Seems always the same ones' trying to do something doesn't it?
Quote:
GG - Thank you so much for passing on that info about Feral Cat day!! I will do what I can here.
Your welcome. Hopefully members & guests will circulate to their email list, facebook, friends, groups, twitter ... get the word out!
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:50 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Just an fyi - there was a duplicate thread started by 14+ that was merged into THIS thread.

thx - Marko
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old October 10th, 2009, 10:59 AM
~Cat Servent~

Good job Marko!~ I thought Chico had mentioned it before!

And thanks GG... I wasn't aware of Feral Cat Day, I'm gonna check with my vet and local rescues to see if there is anything going on locally that I could participate in! I may not have money or extra space, but I have time and a voice that carries!!!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:01 AM
150% PRO S/N

Thanks Marko! You work fast!!

Old October 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Mickey, my angel

Thanks for the heads up, Chico and 14+. I did watch it and it was a wonderful sad/happy and informative documentary. Glad I had the kleenex box close at hand.
"Let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." -Jack Layton
"Be the change you want to see in the world" -Gandhi

Kitties: Punky (13), Tweeky (6), and Sassy (7)

SweetMickey 1991 to May 24, 2009
Old October 10th, 2009, 11:17 AM
An Honest Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by krdahmer View Post
Good job Marko!~ I thought Chico had mentioned it before!

And thanks GG... I wasn't aware of Feral Cat Day, I'm gonna check with my vet and local rescues to see if there is anything going on locally that I could participate in! I may not have money or extra space, but I have time and a voice that carries!!!
Nor I ... just googled around this morning, Saturdays

sort of Frenchy mentioned in the cat discriminating thread about all the work the Verdun Cat Rescue does. This burough has omg the homeless/strays/ferals is out of control as well. The MSPCA teamed just recently with SteriAnimal and the city ... and now offering the TNR Program

Hoping this show will open MORE eyes
Old October 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

Thank's to everyone who watched it and 14+ our very own Kitty
Old October 10th, 2009, 08:58 PM
150% PRO S/N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Girls View Post
Learned putting a blanket soothes them a little good to know this.
All cats react like that to being trapped. I have had my live trap in the catuary while trying to catch Jupiter and a couple of other ones before him that had wandered in. Of course my guys got curious to see what was in it and tried it out. To the last one they all freaked out. Normally after a minute or two they settle. But the sooner you can get a blanket or towel over it the better. In fact I often have the blanket over it to trap them.
The first time I saw a cat do that I wanted to release it too. I thought like that gal on the show last night. That the kitty was going to be hurt. But you can't let them out. You may never trap that cat again. They have extremely long memories when it comes to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Thank's to everyone who watched it and 14+ our very own Kitty
Aww chico, thank you! Just wish it could be lots more. :sad:

Old October 17th, 2009, 10:23 PM
150% PRO S/N

For anyone interested in watching CAT CITY here is the link for it. It is well worth watching. Scroll down the page. On the left hand side there is a list of shows to choose from. Choose Currents. And then click Cat City.

http://www.globaltv.com/entertainment/videos/index.html

Last edited by 14+kitties; October 18th, 2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old November 9th, 2009, 03:42 AM

Just saw this thread now and bookmarked the video!

for Tulsa & Joyce

Hope they got the plate number of the car that dropped the cats off!

Are most humane society's on a volunteer basis?