Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 20th, 2004, 09:38 AM

GSD 9 months hip dysplasia

My puppy was recently diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia and I was wondering if anyone out there has had/or knows of someone who has had a THR replacement done, and what the outcome was. I am seriously considering this as I want my puppy to have a GREAT LIFE.
Old August 20th, 2004, 10:33 AM
Senior Contributor

This surgery is usually very successful.

Did you get your dog from a breeder? If you did, this is a genetic defect and your dog should be guaranteed against it.
Old August 20th, 2004, 01:43 PM

Breeder...his dogs do not have this problem, but from what I have
learned it can skip a generation.
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:23 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh so young, and yes I'd suggest surgery may be the way to go
Old August 20th, 2004, 02:56 PM
banned user

I'm sorry your baby is having trouble
Old August 20th, 2004, 03:43 PM
banned user

Hi,

Sorry to here about your pup, hope everything turns out well for you. I do have a question for you if you don't mind, do you live in Ontario your pup is not from Paws R Us Kennel is it?

Good Luck
Old August 20th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

I know quite a few dogs that have had the surgery and most are doing great. Especially the younger ones they seem to bounce back faster. I would suggest contacting Guelph University and speak to someone there they do incredible work and if they can do it you might save yourself some money as well as get top notch treatment.A friend had her Mastiffs right hip done and saved 900.00 from what her vet charged, since money was not the issue for her she donated the difference to the vet school. He has fully recovered and in 6 months is doing the left side. This site deals with mastiff medicine but has some great info for hip and joint and tplo and luxating knee caps etc all common in this breed as well as many others. Good luck and I hope everything goes well
http://www.redwoodempiremastiffclub.org/
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:00 PM

No. I bought her from a breeder just north of Brampton, who actually specialized in Golden Retreivers, but his wife loves shepherds, so he bought 2, who do not have dysplasia, and bred them. They were his second litter. Unfortunately, one of the parents carries the gene, and I found out quite by accident. Stella was running through the house, she hit the table and had a limp, so I took her in for xrays. The vet suggested we do a complete series, even though at 3 months she 'played' with a box of staples and was xrayed then and her hips were great. But, I am ging to wait until she grows a bit more. Then do the replacement
Attached Images

Old August 20th, 2004, 04:13 PM
banned user

Is your pup ever sweet, what a face that is a face everyone would love never just the mother. That is a great idea, Guelph University my vets talks about them too and agrees with how good they are there. I'm sure you will do what is best and everything will be fine in on time, you will be running in the snow playing and making a snow man together.
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Your dog is very beautiful!

The people you got her from are backyard breeders. This is why titles and health testing for genetic defects is so important. Not doing so causes so much heartache and suffering both to the dog and the new owner.

These people should be told that if they continue to pump out puppies with known genetic defects they can and probably will be sued.
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Senior Contributor

I was going to ask one more thing have you been for a second opinion. I don't know if GSD have growing pains the way Mastiffs and other large breeds have there is a name for it which I cannot remember but it sometimes looks like HD and vets recommend you wait till they have matured before you do anything since sometimes it is not HD, it is growing pains. Your dog is adorable what a face.
Old August 20th, 2004, 04:29 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Oh so they just got the GSD's and bred them....no real line history which is why your baby suffers now!

I'd definitely take it up with them!

Absolutely beautiful dog.
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
I was going to ask one more thing have you been for a second opinion. I don't know if GSD have growing pains the way Mastiffs and other large breeds have there is a name for it which I cannot remember but it sometimes looks like HD and vets recommend you wait till they have matured before you do anything since sometimes it is not HD, it is growing pains. Your dog is adorable what a face.
It's called Panosteitis. Yes, all large and giant breeds are susceptible to it. There was another thread all about it, but I can't find it right now .

debanneball, you might want to search the board to learn more, and ask your vet if it's a possiblity.

Your dog is beautiful, by the way!
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Your GSD is beautiful...probably one of my favourite dogs,but then again they are all beautiful in their own way.
Shepards have that certain look,trusting and strong,Collies do too...oh well,maybe all bigger dogs do,what do I know,with my three little fur-balls
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:34 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Mona who was a regular on here knows a lot about that,
I will see if I can find her thread (wish she was here)
Old August 20th, 2004, 05:57 PM

I know when Kuma was about 9 months old, in the cold, he would favor his back hind legs, and would limp.... I heard that their bones sometimes grow faster then their bodies, which causes this, Not sure the technical name, but I just gave him baby aspirins and rubbed his joints... He's outgrown it now...

You can't keep a GSD down !
Attached Images

Old August 23rd, 2004, 07:47 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Mastiff Lover, yes, I am going for a second opinion, however, Stella is only 9 months and has a lot of growing to do. I have a name of a vet at Guelph, provided by a very good friend who used him for back surgery for her GSD, he did wonders for her dog, however, she was old and has since passed on. Everyone is correct, I SHOULD HAVE SEEN XRAYS OF THE PARENTS, however, I love my puppy. The breeder has offered another dog, but I said NO WAY!!! I couldn't return Stella, nor would I accept another dog with maybe most likely the same hip problem. Wow, that would be four operations, and personally, one GSD is enough. Have a good day everyone.
Deb and Stella
Old August 23rd, 2004, 09:15 AM
Senior Contributor

We had friends whose Wire-Haired Fox Terrier, Bogie, had the surgery when he was about a year old. He only had it on one side and he always had a very slight hitch in his gait. He did wonderfully well and lived a long life.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
We had friends whose Wire-Haired Fox Terrier, Bogie, had the surgery when he was about a year old. He only had it on one side and he always had a very slight hitch in his gait. He did wonderfully well and lived a long life.
THANK YOU, but did the dog have any paid whatsoever, and could he run like a puppy pain free? When you say 'slight hitch', do you mean a permanent limp? I am really quite new at this problem, and honestly need to know more and more about it. I have spent days/hours on internet sites reading, researching, now I need to know from people's experience. Thank you so very much for responding.
Deb and Stella
Old August 23rd, 2004, 10:22 AM

Pups are very resilient. A lot of them who have surgery when they're young do favor the leg a bit (especially during damp or cold weather), but it doesn't usually slow them down at all!
Old August 23rd, 2004, 12:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Bogie never seemed to be bothered by it at all. If we hadn't been very close friends with his owners and knew him well, we wouldn't even have noticed the hitch. He would wrestle and play with our dog; they were best buds. There was no hitch in just regular walking and running, only when they were chasing around and making irregular moves. We would notice that sometimes he'd hop twice on that side. No indication he even was aware he did it. He leaped up on the sofa easily and chased around in circles with Den-Den3 and was a delightful little guy. This was 23 years ago and I'm sure the techniques of the surgery are even more routine today. Based on our knowledge of Bogie's (short for Humphrey Bogart) experience, I wouldn't hesitate to have it done if my vet recommended it.
Old August 23rd, 2004, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasslass
Bogie never seemed to be bothered by it at all. If we hadn't been very close friends with his owners and knew him well, we wouldn't even have noticed the hitch. He would wrestle and play with our dog; they were best buds. There was no hitch in just regular walking and running, only when they were chasing around and making irregular moves. We would notice that sometimes he'd hop twice on that side. No indication he even was aware he did it. He leaped up on the sofa easily and chased around in circles with Den-Den3 and was a delightful little guy. This was 23 years ago and I'm sure the techniques of the surgery are even more routine today. Based on our knowledge of Bogie's (short for Humphrey Bogart) experience, I wouldn't hesitate to have it done if my vet recommended it.
WOW - 23 years, well, I am sure they have come a long way since then. Glad to hear all was fine with Bogie, and the hopping wouldn't bother me. What would bother me would be if there was no improvement, or she hurt a lot, still was wobbly, in general that if there were no improvement. I am going to have this operation done, but I have time to wait and do more research. Now, the research I have to do is to find others who have had this done and hear their comments. My vet said she wouldn't have the operation done if it was her dog...but, she is a really good vet, a very caring person. I guess it's the cost that's the big thing for some people, but for me, it's my dog...it's not her fault she got a bum rap here, but if I can fix it, I will...you can always get out of debt, but you cannot get out of bad hips!!
Old August 25th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Zookeeper Extraordinaire

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by debanneball
it's my dog...it's not her fault she got a bum rap here, but if I can fix it, I will...you can always get out of debt, but you cannot get out of bad hips!!
Awesome attitude! It's people like you that make me believe that there are good, loving, animal "people" still left out there.
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:07 AM

Thank you bama