Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM

Seeking assistance on Probiotic therapy for dog on antibiotic

We've been through so much the last few weeks and I need some help.

Background: My 14-year-old Scottie began eating on one side of his mouth a few weeks back. I took him to the vet and was given Antirobe 150 2x daily for infection. Given my dog's age, my vet wanted to try a week of antibiotics before pulling the teeth to see if we could avoid surgery. Over the week, he basically stopped eating and we tried a little of everything to get food into him. The sudden changes in diet and the antibiotics messed with his digestive system. He had 4 upper molars removed one week later. The next day he acted great--ate two cans of wet food, but was having very loose stool. The vet put him on a strong dose of Flagyl and within a couple of days, he was experiencing some very negative side-effects from this medicine. Again, he stopped eating. We were at the vet's twice this week to address the problem. The first day, he was given a nausea shot and pain meds. (one of the side-effects of the pain med was loss of appetite and I was afraid to give this). We went back yesterday and got a second nausea shot, several days of anti-nausea meds (Reglan 10 mg, one half tablet 2x daily) and sadly, the worst tooth looks like an infection could be starting, so we are back on the Antirobe 150 2x daily for 7 days (shorter course of antibiotics). The pain med is liquid Metacam. My dog weighs 27 pounds.

I would like to try to avoid any digestive issues with the Antirobe by giving probiotics. For the last few years, I have given probiotic treats, but my dog hasn't been able to chew these for the last couple of weeks. I have Probios Digestive Dog Tabs with live (viable) microorganisms with Lactic Acid Bacteria not less than 10 Million CFU per tab. A normal dose is a tablet and 1/2 for his weight. I feel he may need more. Does anyone have any idea how much of this I should give him. These tablets can be dissolved in water and syringed if needed, but I was able to get him to take a few yesterday and one so far today. I can't put him back on the Flagyl--this was very bad stuff for him--anorexia, loss of coordination, vomiting, confusion. By last night, he had perked up a little and has eaten a small amount on his own twice yesterday and a little this morning. Please advise if you can. It is so hard to see my little old guy this bad.

Please know that I really struggled with doing this surgery at his age, but felt we had no choices. The worst tooth didn't look bad visually, but on X-ray was showing bone loss and the inside of the tooth was black when it was split and removed. My vet feels that he can pull through this if we can get him eating. We are addressing nausea (which I feel is related to the Flagyl) and this pain. Thank you for any help you can offer. I really love this old boy.

(Oh, the surgery was 8/25; Flagyl started 8/27 and I stopped it pm on 8/29 due to the side effects--stool problem is better at this point).
Old September 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Sorry that you and your pup are going through this, how totally stressful it must be for you both!

You might want to ask your vet about FortiFlora, which is a probiotic supplement that can be sprinkled on top of food and often acts as a bit of an appetite stimulant (it has an appealing smell/taste to many animals).

that he gets his appetite back soon!

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old September 5th, 2009, 03:30 PM

Thanks SugarCat. My vet carries the Purina products and I will ask about the FortiFlora. Right now, I'm trying a double dose of the Probios. I need to keep his tummy as settled as possible on this antibiotic. He isn't as active now, so I know he doesn't need as much food. We didn't have to syringe-feed yesterday so that is an improvement. I'm offering several small meals through the day and doing everything I can to tempt him. I never thought I would be putting dry kibble in a food processor and mixing it with watered down peanut butter. I will do anything for my little guy. Thank you.
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:15 PM

SugarCat, we went back to the vet today and have started him on the Fortiflora. I really hope this helps his appetite. The infection seems better, so we can discontinue the antibiotic, which may be causing loss of appetite. I really hope that in the next day or so he will show some interest in his food. I feel like we've tried just about everything at this point.... I don't want to give up on my little guy.

We had a holiday weekend in the US, so my vet was out of the office until today, so I couldn't get the product you recommended until now. My vet called us at home on Sunday evening to make sure my boy wasn't getting any worse. I appreciated that more than anyone can know.
Old September 14th, 2009, 09:13 AM

I just wanted to update in case anyone finds this post in the future on search engine. I know occasionally a post will get bumped up after a few years with new posters wondering about the outcome.

I can not give a report on the benefits of FortiFlora. On Thursday, Sept 10, my beloved Mac had an ultrasound and a massive tumor discovered in his liver. We helped him cross the Rainbow Bridge on Sept. 12. SugarCat, I appreciate your help.
Old September 20th, 2009, 06:52 PM
Senior Contributor

ScottieDog, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Scottie. He tried so hard to stay with you. RIP little guy. pbp
Old September 20th, 2009, 07:39 PM

ScottieDog ..... I have just now read this and am so sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved Mac. Take care.

Pat
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:04 PM

Pbpattie and Pat,

Thank you. Mac was my world. My arms and home feel so empty, but my heart is a peace with my decision to let him pass peacefully. Your kind words are a great comfort. Again, I thank you.

-Sandra (ScottieDog)
Old September 20th, 2009, 08:58 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Mac, may you forever run pain free and happy
Old September 20th, 2009, 09:03 PM
-

I just read this .... I'm so sorry about Mac :sad: