Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 1st, 2009, 11:21 AM
Senior Contributor

My Brina finds me "friends", she catches mice outside and carries them in her closed mouth and lets them loose in front of us, the one day she cried to go out in the pouring rain, staring intently at a spot on the deck, I opened the door, she jumped over the steps, dropped down and started crying, I thought she'd injured her leg and rushed out, there between her paws was a baby mouse , no longer than an inch and a half, I picked it up, dried it off and forced warm rice water through its mouth, it stayed with us 4 days approx. till it was well enough to release. *L* I know, it will probably move in this winter. Brina calms down most of the wild critters we bring in to rehab, she lays quietly beside the cage "snuffling" with her nose, this for some reason calms them. The only way we could get an injured gosseling to stay calm or to take his twice daily swims (to help its injured leg) was to let Brina either get in the tub with him or let Brina lead him around the yard. sorry the pics are so big!

she shares her cookies too *L*

Last edited by Melinda; September 1st, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:00 PM

Wow Melinda, that is sooo cute! What a darling, caring dog Brina is!
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Marcha, that's too cute.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old September 1st, 2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
My Brina finds me "friends", she catches mice outside and carries them in her closed mouth and lets them loose in front of us, the one day she cried to go out in the pouring rain, staring intently at a spot on the deck, I opened the door, she jumped over the steps, dropped down and started crying, I thought she'd injured her leg and rushed out, there between her paws was a baby mouse , no longer than an inch and a half, I picked it up, dried it off and forced warm rice water through its mouth, it stayed with us 4 days approx. till it was well enough to release. *L* I know, it will probably move in this winter. Brina calms down most of the wild critters we bring in to rehab, she lays quietly beside the cage "snuffling" with her nose, this for some reason calms them. The only way we could get an injured gosseling to stay calm or to take his twice daily swims (to help its injured leg) was to let Brina either get in the tub with him or let Brina lead him around the yard. sorry the pics are so big!

she shares her cookies too *L*
OMG, what a sweetie!
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old September 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

Brina is too cute! All the stories are lovely aren't they.

My two of course make my life complete. Shadow is aging gracefully but still full of puppy fun when the mood strikes her. She is my protector and keeps an eye out on all strangers who approach when we're walking. She always senses if I need to be cautious and I can tell immediately by her body language. She doesn't eat her cookies as a rule, but will take them and put them onto Halo's bed for Halo to have, or if she wants to keep them she'll hide them in our bed knowing we won't eat them on her.

Halo is all silly lab. We adopted her from the SPCA after my late husband passed away, hoping she would help Shadow with her separation anxiety. Instead she has helped me to say the least. She's the cuddler of the two, Shadow I think loves deeper, but Halo is the cuddler.

Our pets give us so much more than we can give them don't they.
Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know about you guys, but I've got two, Vlad and Kiska, that love jumping in the fridge. Now, for the last two weeks or so, they have both shown an interest in the freezer. If I open the freezer to get ice, they jump on the counter and try to stick their head in.

Last night, when I went to get ice, Vlad came running at full speed, jumped through the kitchen pass through and galloped over to the fridge. He put one paw on the door, looked at me, put a paw on my shoulder and used me as leverage to get inside.

I was just like, "Hey!" I have no idea what his deal is with the freezer. There really isn't much in there, but he seems to be very interested in the ice maker. Once he was done inspecting and making sure it was cold enough, he used me as leverage again and jumped on the counter, his tail whacking me in the face to boot. Oy!

Old September 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM

I'm so proud of our Sunshine. I've started training her using a clicker and the first thing I'm teaching her is to hand target. In 4 short lessons she has gone from touching my hand only an inch away from her face, to following my moving hand away from the treats, to following my hand when my back is turned and I am not looking at her(only a few steps now, but a start). She isn't consistent yet, but that takes time, the amazing thing is how quickly she learns! we were practicing on the porch and another dog went by. Sunshine rushed to the edge fo the porch to look, then came back to touch my hand, raced back to the railing, then stopped halfway and barked because she couldn't watch Peanut AND touch my hand for a treat
Sunshine~ Golden retriever X white german sheperd (Dad's dog)~October 24, 2008-
Old September 3rd, 2009, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

That's great. I've often thought of clicker training my gang. But, I don't think they'd go for it.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wonderful stories folks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancientgirl View Post
That's great. I've often thought of clicker training my gang. But, I don't think they'd go for it.
AG - Just use a bag of treats. Works every time for me.
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
AG - Just use a bag of treats. Works every time for me.
I tried that once. I'm lucky to have all my digits.

Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

My old GSD 'Max' saved me from a peeping tom. One night, while doing dishes, Max saw something I missed. He darted across the kitchen onto the table and barked viciously out the window. To my surprise a dude was peering through the window. I let Max out as the guy ran for his life.. Max was able to grab his jean pocket and responded to recall. His gift to me was a jean pocket clearly indicating that he wore levis!. Police notified that the guy's underwear will clearly be seen.

Thanks Max. I love you so. (2001)
Old September 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
My old GSD 'Max' saved me from a peeping tom. One night, while doing dishes, Max saw something I missed. He darted across the kitchen onto the table and barked viciously out the window. To my surprise a dude was peering through the window. I let Max out as the guy ran for his life.. Max was able to grab his jean pocket and responded to recall. His gift to me was a jean pocket clearly indicating that he wore levis!. Police notified that the guy's underwear will clearly be seen.

Thanks Max. I love you so. (2001)
What an amazing story! And what an extraordinary boy you had with you.

Old September 8th, 2009, 08:44 AM
Senior Contributor

Little Maks

My little guy has such a caring heart. Last night we were in bed. I'd just turned off the lights, and it was just Czari and Maks in bed with me at the moment. Kiska had gone downstairs and not come up, and as she will sometimes do, she started meowing. It was kind of one of those nearly distressing meows, like she's lost or she thinks she's been left alone. I usually call to her and she comes up, but sometimes she doesn't.

Well big brother to the rescue. Maks got out of bed and went downstairs. A few moments later Maks got back in bed, along with Kiska. He does this often. He's such a good boy. I love him to pieces.

Old September 14th, 2009, 11:59 AM

Yep...more to brag about!

My senior girl has always been a roamer and explorer...After all, she is a Husky. Recently however, she has demonstrated some awesome behavior.

When I take her out for walks and exercise, I have her on an extend -a- leash, which is approximately 6ft. in length. Just the other day, I took her off leash, in a safe, quiet, and traffic free location. She heeled just like a pro, and was perfectly responsive to my presence and voice WOW! I was so impressed.

She has always been a very good walker - on leash, regardless of length, but had occasional tendencies to zigzag - wherever a scent and movement took her... She didn't do this off leash! It was the exact opposite!
Walking her at times was like flying a kite -
She ambled, rather than bolted. She also maintained eye contact with me on a frequent basis.

I thought this was both cute and amazing, especially considering her innate stubborn temperament

I guess old dogs can learn new things....
Old September 14th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Isn't it great how they are always surprising us?

Old September 14th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

My Dogue De Bordeaux is a rescue who was neglected of human contact. He is the sweetest, most gentle giant.
Every morning he comes into the bathroom with me and waits for me to shower. If my clothes are left on the floor, he arranges them and lies on them.
He just lies and waits, and when I get out, he leaves to go play with the other dogs.
Harvey the English Bulldog Extraordinaire