Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Foster talk - Rescue talk - NO listings please

Old August 16th, 2004, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Fostering suggestions

Okay, here's my story:
Pitcrew Rescue needs to find foster homes/ adoptions ASAP - there are 3 dogs remaining.
I have fostered Danny Boy. I am picking him up later today. I am REALLY nervous, almost on the verge of tears... excited, nervous, anxious, scared, self doubting, etc. Is this normal!?!?! My hubby has been VERY tolerable of this situation, but I know that he is concerned. Briggs has been following me around like crazy - she knows that mommy is upset about something...
Now, Luba gave me an idea to have Briggs sleep on a towel in her bed last night (done) and then bring it to Danny Boy at Andrea's so that he can get the scent of her. Then do the same for Briggs. I will introduce them outside and let them play for a bit. Then I will bring them upstairs and introduce Connor (cat) to Danny through the door... that's fine...
The main concern is that I am going to have to do this all on my own. Andrea will be gone into the reall country with a cell phone and a battery operated alarm clock. So she will not be able to help me once I get Danny.
What do I do to find him a home?!?!? We will keep him listed on the petfiner and I will work on his training... Lucky mentioned a PetsMart adoption day. I was thinking that I could get him listed on the Brampton shelter website, but he lives here with us. Then they can keep the adoption fee.
I realize that this could take a long time, a very long time. But I would love to find him a home ASAP so that he doesn't become so comfortable here and feel that he's being bumped again....
Any suggestions??
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:14 AM

I foster labs and I want to tell you a couple things that I have discovered.

I always have the same feelings you do. You just never know how things will go until they are in your home. You can usually have a guess at how adoptable a dog is and how long it may be with you.

One rule I have, is that my own dogs do not suffer in any way shape or form. They are my #1 priority and if something does not work out, I will call Rescue and have them find another foster home that is more suitable. I had a pup at my house for 3 days and I had to call for them to get him. He was attacking and biting my girls and they were fearful and the one even started to growl, which she had never done before. I spent too much time on training my girls for another dog to come in and blow all that away.

Heather
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenmom
They are my #1 priority and if something does not work out, I will call Rescue and have them find another foster home that is more suitable.
I absolutely agree! My problem is that I can't call Pitcrew to take the foster back. They have been forced to close and she pretty much told me that I am on my own. I am fine with that...as long as it works out. But then what do I do otherwise....I don't want to jeopardize my cat or Briggs either.
I could be worrying over nothing, I haven't even met the dog yet!
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:31 AM

I guess it will be a wait and see then. It always is with me also. My girls are really, really good with others coming into their home and territory. I am very fortunate.

My last foster did not get along with my cat at all, so my son took him to his house. I really have sacrificed a lot for my fosters, but each were worth it.

I hope I didn't sound harsh above about asking Rescue to take the dog back, but you have to understand that my family is my first priority, and I have to protect them.

IF things don't work out for you, I am sure there are some other avenues you can investigate. It may take fosters a couple days to get settled etc., so try to keep your chin up until you have tried everything else.

Good luck and please keep us updated.

Heather
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:36 AM
banned user

If you have not yet patted yourself on the back for saving Danny Boy, please do so now. I can't reach you from here.

Take a deep breath and look at the situation.
Yes, it's always good to have a plan 'B', if things don't work out, BUT you are already very well-versed in pet-parenting and introducing a new life into your home. I believe Briggs and Connor will back me on that one.
It's like having a second-child. You don't forget after you've had the first one. Instinct and experience will guide you through this, and you've always got your vet and this board for any unique problems that might come up. I have complete faith in you. Look at the terrific parent you already are, and have faith in yourSELF.
Old August 16th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Sam we are ALL here to give u support and as many hugs and advise as you need!!

Every problem can be solved one way or another!! Don't worry too much, look at this as part of an adventure.
Old August 16th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks guys!!! That makes me feel better. I am a little overwhelmed right now. All the potential bad things are swirling around in my head!!! I think we'll adjust just fine... I will update you tonight/ tomorrow.
Old August 16th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Senior Contributor

YES - we are ALL here to help you!

And yes, I was nervous and anxious each time I got a foster, but you know - after a week it was like the dog had always been here, and I wondered what I had worried about!

I was even nervous about my first foster cat, and first litter of kittens.

I suggest you get Danny into the routine he is going to be in at your house for as long as you have him, and do that right away. HE'S going to be nervous and upset too! I'm told he's good with other dogs, and Briggs is still a puppy and a female, so it should go well.

Don't be shy to ask a million questions, and everyone on the other board will help you too!

To help get him adopted, make up a paper with his pic, and all his personality traits, and try to make it interesting and funny if possible and not just a list.

Put it up all over the place - pet stores and vet's offices etc.

I have a copy of Pitcrew's adoption application for you to use!
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

Sam,although with doggie problems I cannot be much help,I will give you a whole bunch of moral support
I was nervous and sometimes in tears,ready to give up when I got Vinnie.My two spoiled cats just did not like this little white fluff-ball,it was nerwracking and seemed hopeless,but eventually everything was fine,mind you Chico still hates Vinnie.But cats are probably a little easier than two pits....
Who knows,you might love him and keep him,whatever you decide,I am really happy for Danny!
I am actually feeling nervous for you,you are one great Lady!!
Old August 17th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Sam you will do great and so will your whole crew. I think you have the support of the entire board here. You are a good mom and know what you are doing. I am sure that it will take a bit of adjusting but in the end you will probably end up with one more dog. Lucky Danny Boy.
Old August 18th, 2004, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Sammie......eagerly waiting for news,I hope the reason for no news is not bacause you're having trouble But I guess either way you have your hands full.
Old August 18th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I'm sure she'll get back to us soon
Old August 18th, 2004, 07:26 PM

I'm a new foster mom myself and felt (still feel) all the things you are concerned about. I read the other post about what happened but I figured i'd post here about my experiences in case they help someone else or you later.

I got my first dog, Sneaky, from Toronto humane in April. She's tiny (28lbs) with a paralyzed facial nerve that makes her look a little tilted all the time. Added to the fact that she's a big suck makes her melt your heart. I feel like I have to protect her from the big bad world.

Enter Toby, my foster beagle that I got about 3 weeks ago from Kennel Inn. He's 52lbs of beaglex, male, unneutered, unvaccinated craziness.

The first day, I thought I was going to have a breakdown.

He growled at her in the car, then proceeded to try and mount her all over my backyard (she's spayed of course). There was barking, feet flying, teeth baring, crate rattling.

Flash forward 3 weeks to current. I now know that my little "angel" Sneaky is a little 28lb **** disturber. Since that first day of craziness, Toby got the message: no humping the little one. Also, unless she tries to steal his treat (which has happened on 2 occasions, during which I was hovering over the both of them), he generally ignores her. Of course, also since that day, Sneaky has been out on a mission to prove that size does NOT mean everything and that she rules this roost. When Toby's sleeping, she sits on him. When he's on the couch beside me, she jumps over him and wedges herself between us. When he's just hanging around, she'll jump on his backside.

I know what she's doing of course and I try everything to be fair while recognizing her position in the household of second banana to me, first banana to him. Still, I see what the little bugger is capable of. Sweet and innocent my behind.

On the other hand though, having a second dog around for Sneaks has been a good influence I think. I'm more comfortable with her experience around other dogs and I swear that she's picking up "sit" finally (he already knows it) since she sees him doing it when I ask.

Granted beagles are different from pit bulls in their needs and behaviours. However, the experience of a newb foster each time (especially their first) is the same. Paranoia, fear, frustration, overwhelming nausea heh. I promise though, it gets better.

Not perfect of course. Toby has now started pooping in the house effective today *sighs* *bangs head on desk*.

Gotta love the little buggers.

Dee