Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Wildlife - squrriels, raccoons, skunks, opossums, groundhogs, etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 8th, 2009, 10:39 AM
NoahGrey's Avatar
NoahGrey NoahGrey is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,439
new lease on life for baby coon

Hello,

Two days ago at work, I received a call from dispatch about a baby raccoon hiding in the bushes at a corner of a very busy intersection. I arrive to the call and search the bushes...find the little guy hiding, dehydrated and scared. I grab him, put him in a cage and take him back to the shelter.

One of the other officers drove him up to one of our wildlife rehabbers, where he will get another lease on life. Also we had a baby baby opossum brought in to the shelter as well. Gone to rehabbers too.

Have to say I work for one of the best HS in the province. Its a good feeling to know that we go beyond for every animal that comes through our doors

ACO22

Last edited by NoahGrey; July 8th, 2009 at 10:43 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:00 AM
ancientgirl's Avatar
ancientgirl ancientgirl is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Miami, FL
Posts: 15,069
It's nice they are taken to a place where they will be taken care of and then let out into the wilderness again.
__________________
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:34 AM
Melinda's Avatar
Melinda Melinda is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,248
oh that is great!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old July 8th, 2009, 11:57 AM
BenMax BenMax is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,191
ACO22 - you do work for a wonderful place. Something tells me that you influenced them somehow to be who they are today. It takes good people to make a good place. It sounds like good team work and compassion.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 8th, 2009, 01:24 PM
NoahGrey's Avatar
NoahGrey NoahGrey is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenMax View Post
ACO22 - you do work for a wonderful place. Something tells me that you influenced them somehow to be who they are today. It takes good people to make a good place. It sounds like good team work and compassion.
BenMax, no I didn't influence them. This is just how my HS operates and the main reason why I wanted to work for them. Every department in the shelter are very dedicated to every animal that enters our doors.

For wildlife, we work with three different wildlife rehab centers. We try are hardest to rehabilate every wildlife, if there injuries are not to servere or they are not too sick. If they can not be rehabbed, they are humanely put down to end their distress.

For domestics, we work with several orgainizations, such as breed specifics, rescues, other shelters, etc.

ACO22
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:03 PM
BenMax BenMax is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 10,191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO22 View Post
BenMax, no I didn't influence them. This is just how my HS operates and the main reason why I wanted to work for them. Every department in the shelter are very dedicated to every animal that enters our doors.

For wildlife, we work with three different wildlife rehab centers. We try are hardest to rehabilate every wildlife, if there injuries are not to servere or they are not too sick. If they can not be rehabbed, they are humanely put down to end their distress.

For domestics, we work with several orgainizations, such as breed specifics, rescues, other shelters, etc.

ACO22
That is wonderful ACO22. Something tells me you are going to miss them when you go back to school.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old July 8th, 2009, 02:09 PM
NoahGrey's Avatar
NoahGrey NoahGrey is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,439
Thanks Benmax, I will certainly miss working for them. However, when I am on summer break, I can work for them for the summer. So, from April to sept.

ACO22
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old July 8th, 2009, 04:47 PM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,593
ACO,yes,it is a great place,I just wish they did not have to work for such a huge area.
I am glad you saved that little baby,they are just adorable
I brought in a very sick Morning Dove at one time and everyone was very understanding and helpful,did not laugh at my tears when the Dove eventually died,did not tell me to go elsewhere,their staff and volonteres are great,including you.
I guess it's no secret anymore that it was you who helped save the baby-squirrels in my neighbors roof and helped me with a trap for the grey/white kitty
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old July 9th, 2009, 09:57 AM
NoahGrey's Avatar
NoahGrey NoahGrey is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,439
Thanks Chico,

the cornor was speers and kerr.

ACO22
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old July 9th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Love4himies's Avatar
Love4himies Love4himies is offline
Rescue is my fav. breed
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Boating in the 1000 Islands
Posts: 17,763
Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
ACO,yes,it is a great place,I just wish they did not have to work for such a huge area.
I am glad you saved that little baby,they are just adorable
I brought in a very sick Morning Dove at one time and everyone was very understanding and helpful,did not laugh at my tears when the Dove eventually died,did not tell me to go elsewhere,their staff and volonteres are great,including you.
I guess it's no secret anymore that it was you who helped save the baby-squirrels in my neighbors roof and helped me with a trap for the grey/white kitty

I didn't know that.

ACO you are an
__________________
Cat maid to:

Jasper, male Ragdoll ?? (approx 10 yrs)
Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 7 yrs)

Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old July 9th, 2009, 11:20 PM
onster's Avatar
onster onster is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,842
Agree with L4H!!

Amazng ACO22
__________________
Famous last words:

"No, Bunduk, Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!"
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old July 10th, 2009, 06:41 AM
chico2's Avatar
chico2 chico2 is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakville Ontario
Posts: 26,593
OMG ACO,what was the baby doing there,Kerr/Speers is about as busy as it can get,he would have been killed for sure,then came you
__________________
"The cruelest animal is the Human animal"
3 kitties,Rocky(r.i.p my boy),Chico,Vinnie
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old July 10th, 2009, 07:33 PM
NoahGrey's Avatar
NoahGrey NoahGrey is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,439
Chico, The man who called saw him and stated that it looked like he was trying to find a place to hide. poor thing. he was big enough to be curious and venture off. I think he took a little stroll and got lost.

ACO22
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.