Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 15th, 2002, 06:20 AM

Unhappy Basset Hound is having problem with house training

Our one year old Basset is having problems with pooping in the house. She is walked twice a day first thing in the morning and around 7 at night.
We feed her dry food twice a day, morning and around 2 in the afternoon.
We have tried to crate train her but she cried and howled so much we had to let her out. She now stays in the living room at night and seems to like it.
She is waking up around 3:30 and barks or whines or howls until 6:00 when I can no longer stand it and I get up and take her for her walk. We usually take her out around 10:00 or 11:00 in the evening for her last pee.
My question is how do we keep her sleeping until a more sane hour and how do we get her to stop messing in the house.
Kelly is a very active pup and demands alot of attention which she normally gets from our family of 5.
I would appreciate any help in this matter.
Thanking you in advance
Old August 16th, 2002, 05:32 PM
Lab Loverr

I would try crate training again!! (i have a 5 month old puppy) But practice it is a good thing by throwing treats in there.. let her explore it a little on her own.. throw her fav toys in there.. keep the door open to it.. after a couple days try putting her in there during the day for half an hour or so.. put an old blanket ontop if its a metal crate so she cant see outside of the crate.. let her howl and whine all she wants. Or when she howls Shake a popcan full of pennies, dont let her see you do it though, so that she associated barking with a loud scary noise from the pop can. a few times a day put here in there, get her used to it.. give her treats through the cage while she is in there so she knows it is a good thing to be in there!!

When she falls asleep on the floor throughout the day pick her up.. or guide her into the crate for a nap.

After a week or so of practice start doing it for the night.. take her out for a pee and BM before you put her in the crate, we usually put our puppy in at about 11pm though he sleeps on the floor in the living room before then.. we usually try to keep him up till 11 though so he will sleep through the night. i would say from about 6-11pm dont let her sleep at all!!! So that when you do put her in the kennel at 11 she will be tired.

ABout messing in the house... Watch for a couple days and see if you can pick up her BM scedule.

Our dogs is fairly consistant.

1. First thing in the morning when he wakes up around 7AM. we take him for a walk at this time also.(he wont BM in his crate, so he comes straight out of crate, harness and leash on and outside)

2. Usually 30-60 mins after eatting breakfast.

3. Around 3pm we take him out, just incase he needs to go... sometimes he does other times he doesnt.

4. 30-60 mins after eatting dinner

5. around 8pm we take him for a walk, usually goes once or twice on our walk.

And then he is set for the night... he is paper trained for peeing in the house.. just cause we live in an apartment and he pees a lot cause its so hot and 7 floors down is a long way to go every time he needs to pee.

I would recommend feeding your dog on a set scedule. Around 7AM for breakfast and 5PM for supper. (thats our puppies food scedule) and it works good. 2PM is a long way to go with no food till morning. And make sure you are feeding the amount the bag says depending on weight. If you feed her too much then her BM's will be more often.

If she barks and howls you have to ignore her!!! Or she thinks that barking will get things done when she wants them and her way.. I hope you live in a house itll be much easier if you do Lol.

If you crate train her, you will have more control over when she can BM and pee... so give crate training another try. It does wonders.

Hope i helped a little... have any more questions feel free to ask

-CLL
Soon to be proud mum of Gilgamesh. (Olde English Bulldogge)

*Lab Lover [COLOR=red]<3[/COLOR]