Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old September 29th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Looking for another Papillon American Eskimo Owner

Hi...

Just out of curiousity...
Is there anyone out there who owns a Papillon-American Eskimo Mix?

Also, I've tried to look online, but maybe I was google-ing wrong (you know not the right use of words)

What is a typical age for a Papillon to reach their max growth? And what about the same for the American Eskimo?

I believe the Eskie was probably a miniature, because Abby is 5 months old now and she seems to be the same size, she's not growing anymore... (I never saw the parents and have little info other than DOB and breed of the father and mother, she is a rescue dog)
Old September 29th, 2006, 11:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I have an Eskimo. He reached his "ideal" weight at about 1 year of age. He was neutered at 7 months - weighed 17 lbs. but was still filling out - is height remained about the same. At his one year physical he weighed 22 lbs. which was the appropriate weight for an Eskie of his size. His mom was a small standard - 22 lbs. and his dad a large mini - 18 lbs. Sometimes it is very hard to know with Eskies how big they will be - often final size is a surprise. My guy did gain 5 lbs. in the 3 months leading to his 2nd birthday - so he had to lose them - it was very hard as Eskies are prone to hypothyroidism. But he is back to 22 lbs. and looks good. He will turn 2 1/2 on Sunday and am still waiting for the magic switch that will turn him into a little adult. I do not know how big Papillons get - of course so much depends on size of ancestors - these days with teacup, toys, mini, standards it is a crap shoot. I know a woman who has a Border Collie/Eskie combo - looks totally Eskie but has total Border Collie personality. Will be interesting to see which personality your dog develops - you won't know for a while yet I expect.
Old September 29th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Well paps are only supposed to be about 10 lbs max... but like you said, the way things are today.

She looks totally like a Papillon. I've looked at probably 50/60 pictures of different papillons, and maybe 10/20 pictures of Eskie's and she looks all Pap.

I at one point was bragging about her being such a quite dog (pap)
and the older she is getting she is starting to find her vocals, but not to badly. Not like the neighborhood yappers... I swear if I can hear your dog at 10:00pm barking for 20 minutes NON STOP, why can you not hear your dog?!?!?!?!?! (sorry, had to rant)

One thing she does that I am dying to get under control is her mouthing, and I know that he teeth are coming in (because her adult canines have come in and the babies haven't fallen out yet)
She is really good in the aspect that she leaves our stuff alone and always has a bone with her (she's like a smoker, can't kick it, always has to have one with her) but we can't pet her without her wanting to mouth on us. We know she's not trying to hurt us, but we can't wait until this is over with.

All in all...

Pap, Eskie... we absolutely LOVE her... she is a GREAT dog.
However big she gets, obviously we deal with, we have no choice... but I really hope she doesn't get any bigger than 15 lbs (considering the pappy in her).

Happy Friday everyone!!!!!!
Old September 29th, 2006, 01:32 PM
ZooKeeper aka Mom

I think sometimes one of the fun things about getting a mutt that you know the mix of is looking for traits and behaviors from the breeds.

It is an ongoing surprise
Old September 29th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Sounds like you have a little ESKIE/Pap emerging! The barking - most definitely - and the mouthing. There is an Eskimo specific site that you could lurk on and search for certain characteristics as they emerge - www.eskie.net. Be grateful though that your dog is not snowy white - pretty when clean but my guy, despite looking all girl, is not dainty. Should have named him Blackie.
Old October 11th, 2007, 10:01 AM

Big pap/esk

My papillon / am. Eskimo is a big boy. He is 2 1/2 years old and 31 pounds. He is very smart and loves his bones.
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM

Papimo

Goggle Papimo and you,ll see they are a hybird, They have pics as well.If its a minnie eskimo she shouldn't exceed 15ibs.hope this helps.We are getting one from our son.He has both mom and dad.Jazz is 5days old.
Old August 10th, 2009, 07:56 PM
Performance Spaniels

Post is from 06... they won't be replying.