Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old August 13th, 2004, 10:20 PM

I cant believe what my puppy did

We have had him for about two weeks now and he has only had an "accident" in the house a couple of times. On those occasions he did it only on a blanket that we had laid out for him. He has been going outside very well and we are walking him 4 times a day .

Well tonight he defecated and peed ALL OVER OUR BED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He has never done anything like this before , he had actually just come in from a walk as well. He not only peed once he peed three times in three different spots. Our mattress is soaked right through Im so frustrated right now because i have no idea where were going to sleep tonight.

I also got very mad at puppy ( which i have never done before ) , I took him to the mess and told him No Shame on you in an angry tone , i also tapped his nose a couple of times. Honestly i dont know if he got the picture though.

Why would he do this???? It seems like his behaviour is actually getting worse the longer we have him.

We took his bed out of our room and put it in his crate maybe he was upset about that??

Ive also been practising the whole "ill be back routine" , going through the ritual of leaving so he gets used it.

Please help me understand why he would do something like this??
Old August 13th, 2004, 10:24 PM

your puppy misses you........revenge...........pee on the bed works every time. try starting the training all over again and him him in his crate when you leave he will get the message.........I hope
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:12 PM

Whoa...

Well I have no idea why he did that...

BUT

Hang in there!! Right now your really upset but in times like this ( and I know how you feel because I have a 10.5 week old ) think about the happiness he has brought to the family....and it'll help lighten the situation.

What's strange is that you said you had just come from a walk and that the pup pooped on the bed...

I guess this teaches you not to leave the pup alone in the house!! Its all about prevention.
Old August 13th, 2004, 11:21 PM

Hi Katherine. Well, I'm no pro (judging by the number of posts I've put up in the short time I've been a member here ), but I've re-read your previous posts and have the following uneducated guesses to offer...

Since you got him from the THS, I'm going to presume he's been neutered. "Marking" might be the problem, but it isn't likely in a neutered dog. It might also be his bid to become the Alpha dog in your little pack (this was the problem with my neighbor's dog, but they hadn't neutered him so it's not exactly the same thing).

In a previous post, I believe you said he had peed on his blanket before. Was it in your room at the time? If so, and you moved it out of your room now, maybe he's just trying to re-establish his scent in the room??

Yup, the longer you have him, the more comfortable he'll get, and then he'll start pushing a little to see what he can get away with. Just like having another child!!

Like pug_lover said, get him back to basics. Without a crate, I'm not sure how you were handling that before. Oh, and you should seriously consider getting him into obedience classes. At his age, he'll probably be in adult basic classes, not puppy classes. At the very least, it'll give him something to occupy his mind and tire him out for a while. It might also help if he is trying to become the Alpha dog.

I soooo totally understand how frustrated you were. But, unless you got mad at him while he was actually peeing on your bed, then you're right - he didn't get the picture. I know people say "But he knew he did something wrong! You should have seen the look on his face!". That look comes from being scolded, not from the guilt of knowing what they did.

Sorry for the rambling (it's waaaayyyyy past my bedtime! ). I'm itching to hear what the pros have to say about this!! Hang in there, and good luck!
Old August 14th, 2004, 04:47 PM

Okay, he has now procedded to pee on our bed again ( forgetful hubby didnt close the door ) this morning and our couch !!! What is up with him? He is going out of his way to hop up on things he knows hes not allowed to ( couch and bed ) and using them as his toilet. When he peed on the bed he had just come in from a walk again and the couch incident was about an hour after a walk ( where he peed twice ) . I think it might be the marking that Writing 4 Fun mentioned but im getting increasingly more frustrated. Obidenience school is a good idea and i plan on doing that soon.

Bah !!! What can i do to stop him from doing this?
Old August 14th, 2004, 04:57 PM

I would limit his time roaming free in the house. Use the crate most of the time. Someone here said tie him to you so you know when to put him out.
Good luck on training him. Devils aren't they, but too cute and loveable.
Old August 14th, 2004, 06:04 PM

Unhappy Biting/tantrums

Today when I tried to pick up my puppy,Seth, he bit me and drew blood.then he ran over to my mom and started to lick,his tail wagging too.and it really hurts.I wasn't threatning him or anything.What should I do???