Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old July 1st, 2009, 05:50 PM

Dog not drinking water!

I think it's behavioral. She likes to go pee 257 times on a 45 minute walk. I do that once a day but feel she needs to empty her bladder more often.

We go on short walks and at night I want her to go right outside and right back in for bed.

*I* think she restricts her water so she doesn't NEED to pee and can 'save' it for marking.

BUT I will focus on the medical for now:

I guesstimate she usually drank about 15 oz of water, which is barely enough according to what I read for a 55 pound dog. More in the summer but I have not measured.

I never thought much about her water intake, the only reason I can even guesstimate is I use a 15 oz container to fill her bowl with and I don't remember doing that more than once per day through the winter.

So she got a UTI. I was tricking her into drinking LOTS of water with tuna, chicken broth, etc.

I was also using vit. C and apple cider vinegar so as to cure naturally. It worked on the UTI but I think I overdid it. She vomited more than I consdered normal, and was a bit lethargic, so we went to the vet.

He said her urine was way too dilute. Well, she had 50 oz of water the day before. He said that was the high end of normal and shouldn't make the urine dilute. But she had 15 oz that morning. That's a lot all at once so it seems that could make it dilute.

He said bloodwork was needed so we did it. Came back normal. Now he wants another urine test.

That is fine. The problem is she has not been drinking for two days. Eating yes, drinking no. So I used the tuna trick.

Problem: I think he wants to see her urine based on what she drinks ON HER OWN.

So I want to do that, but cannot handle many days of her not drinking before I worry. I read that even a 10% reduction in a dog's water is bad for them.

So - do I go tomorrow and the next day not interfering and let him see her urine then?

Thanks to anyone who read all this and has a suggestion.

PS I do not think she is addicted to flavored water. He told me to stop that immediately and she drank normal (normal for her, anyway) until day before yesterday.
Old July 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM

Is Lx Superchem/cbc the comprehensive one? It was $129 if that gives an idea.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:04 PM
-

I am no expert , and this is only a MAYBE , but , could be cushings disease. Could also be Addison's.

ASk you vet about it , read about it too , it does say excessive drinking but my Chloe had cushings and did not drink that much.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:11 PM

I have a call into the vet. I was just impatient plus I like to hear from other people besides the vet - sometimes you get more info that way!
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
I am no expert , and this is only a MAYBE , but , could be cushings disease. Could also be Addison's.

ASk you vet about it , read about it too , it does say excessive drinking but my Chloe had cushings and did not drink that much.
Something would not show in her bloodwork for those?

I asked and the tech said the bloodwork was comprehensive minus thyroid.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM
-

oh , and about the UTI ... this was also Chloe's first diagnose from the vet. She was fine while on antibiotics but as soon as she finished them , the pee problems came back.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:16 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia101 View Post
Something would not show in her bloodwork for those?

I asked and the tech said the bloodwork was comprehensive minus thyroid.
she had so many tests done ... it was urine and ph tests mostly. One regular blood test , then there was another blood test , they gave her cortisone , and after 2 hours , another blood test. That is when we found out. Just a regular blood test will not be enough.
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:27 PM

OK that's not the answer I wanted.

The UTI reminded me to get pet insurance. Anything related to what I took her in for will be considered pre-existing.

OK. Well. First things first. Get her urine checked again.

Is ph test a normal part of urine test or do I need to ask for it?
Old July 1st, 2009, 06:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mia101 View Post

Is ph test a normal part of urine test or do I need to ask for it?
ask your vet about cushings and addison first. Maybe he saw something in the test he did already that told him it wasn't it.

IF , it is cushings , there is meds for it , did not work for Chloe but there are other options than those meds .. but first things first. Your vet has to figure out what's the problem first.

Old July 1st, 2009, 06:48 PM

He said that tomorrow's first urine will be accurate but that makes no sense to me.

I made her drink 16 oz today, so it won't show him what it's like when she's not drinking much.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 02:38 PM

Mia, you wrote:
"He said her urine was way too dilute. Well, she had 50 oz of water the day before. He said that was the high end of normal and shouldn't make the urine dilute. But she had 15 oz that morning. That's a lot all at once so it seems that could make it dilute."

And you asked about the first morning urine. I know when my little Tipper was having issues with drinking too much we were told that the first morning urine has the highest level of concentration. It may be that this is to test her kidney's ability to concentrate the urine. My dog also had an abnormal liver enzyme (alkphos) that made her a potential candidate for Cushings. In the end, she was diagnosed with psychogenic polydipsia. Her drinking excessively flushed the salts from her system and needed to be "reprogrammed". When she went into kidney failure at age 11, she would not eat or drink. Her kidney failure was medicine induced, however, but make sure the vets check the bloodwork for the BUN and Creatinine levels.

If you do need to test for Cushing's it involves an injection and monitoring bloodwork over a set number of hours. It isn't a horrible test for your dog. My Tippy had this twice with negative results. Hope you can get this worked out.
Old July 2nd, 2009, 03:55 PM

Right now I'm just trying to make sure I get an accurate reading.

16 oz at 4m yesterday. She should have peed all that out within hours.

Hopefully this AM's sample was not skewed by my enticing her to drink that yesterday.

I asked the vet if I should wait for tomorrow's. He said whatever makes me more comfortable. LOL, I just want what's right.

The issue before was too dilute. I don't want a repeat of if coming back too dilute due to my forcing the 16 oz yesterday, or conversely not seeing dehydration that maybe there/was there.

*sigh*

OCD me will probably do 18 urine tests, lol.
Old July 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM

OK - he said her urine test was fine. I knew I should have waited because now I'm thinking it's fine because I made her drink 16 oz the day before.

I still wonder if she is drinking enough on her own. They said the 16 oz the day before she had already peed out. I understand that but it would have reversed any slight dehydration that was present to my mind.

Can I tell from just the color?

It would be darker yellow all day like it is in the AM if she is not drinking enough?

Or should I just suck it up and have another test?

I am paranoid b/c the cat has indications of upcoming KD. I don't want my dog slightly dehydrated for years leading to KD for her too.
Old July 6th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I would have bloodwork done. Constant, low level dehydration can definitely cause kidney problems - and her lack of interest in water could be a sign of some other disease. Has the vet suggested any follow up testing??

You can tell if your dog is dehydrated by checking the gums and by pinching the skin. On the skin, pinch a section on the scruff of her neck and pull it up - when you let go, the skin should immediately go back into its original position. If the skin stays pinched, or slowly returns to the normal position, dehydration is present. On the gums, lift a lip and place your finger against her gum. If her gums feel tacky then she's dehydrated.
Old July 7th, 2009, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandy View Post
I would have bloodwork done. Constant, low level dehydration can definitely cause kidney problems - and her lack of interest in water could be a sign of some other disease. Has the vet suggested any follow up testing??

You can tell if your dog is dehydrated by checking the gums and by pinching the skin. On the skin, pinch a section on the scruff of her neck and pull it up - when you let go, the skin should immediately go back into its original position. If the skin stays pinched, or slowly returns to the normal position, dehydration is present. On the gums, lift a lip and place your finger against her gum. If her gums feel tacky then she's dehydrated.
The vet did blood work after the first urine test showed it was too dilute. I had enticed with 15 OZ that morning, of course it was dilute. But he insisted it still should not be that much and wanted to check her kidneys.

All that came back good. So he wanted a follow up test. He doesn't seem to be understanding me. I know 15 OZ the day before did not mess up the results for what he was mainly looking for - (whether it was too dilute).

I had become concerned about the other end. He said if I'm worried to bring her in again but he thinks she's fine.

I have done that skin test on both of them many times. The cat has always passed the skin test, and still she has the pre-cursor to K/D. Which leads me to believe hers is not caused by dehydration, but that is another thread.
Old July 7th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

If your vet took blood for testing without having her fasted first, then those results could also be inaccurate - although I'm sure they would take that into account when looking at the various results.

Cats need moisture from their diets since they don't drink that much water - so if you were feeding a dry cat food, then it's not surprising that the cat has kidney issues.

A dogs daily water intake will depend on many factors, the kind of food they are fed, their environment, their activity level, etc. Normally a dog will regulate their own water intake with what they need, assuming that fresh water is available to them at all times. If they drink more than they need, they just pee more than normal. The body also produces some water on it's own (called metabolic water) and the rate at which the body produces this water depends on the caloric intake per day.

If the amount of water your dog drinks per day has changed then I'd go for a second opinion but if she's always been this way, then perhaps her body just produces more metabolic water so her water intake need is less than what you think it should be.
Old July 7th, 2009, 05:47 PM

The cat....she always passed the skin test.....her bloodwork was always perfect.

Until I went from mostly dry/some canned to mostly canned/some dry.

Then she dropped a pound in a little over a year and had bad results on bloodwork.

Weird!

So the skin test only works to show more advance dehydration? It won't indicate small/moderate amount?

I had brought this up to my vet and she said there were no signs of dehydration. She did though tell me that canned food is better as most of you say here.

The dog....I think I overreacted. She didn't drink as normal for a few days.

She seems to be now :-)
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I think the gums would be a better indicator of mild dehydration (if they are sticky) than the skin test. Once the dog is dehydrated to the point that the skin loses it's elasticity, then the skin test shows it. The longer the skin stays pinched, the worse the dehydration.