Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old June 26th, 2009, 08:46 AM

Unhappy newbie with a new puppy and need some advice

hi. i'm new here and i am looking for some advice on how to train my new puppy. she is a black lab/blue tick coonhound mix. she likes to jump up on everyone, pees in the house a lot even though we take her out every hour or so and even put her on the leash in the yard for awhile, she chews everything she can get a hold of. i have been raised with dogs but this is my first time with these breeds. if there is anyone who could give me some advice or links to some sites that would help i will be thankful and grateful.
Old June 26th, 2009, 08:56 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I don't think it's so much a "breed' issue as it is a "puppy" issue. How old is your pup now?

How do you react when she does the negative behaviours? A firm "NO" and then redirecting her to the behaviour you want is most effective. E.G. when she jumps up on you, give a firm "no" and push her off, tell her to sit, THEN she gets pet and praised. You need to reward the behaviours that you want to see, and ignore the negative ones. She should be corrected and then ignored when she does something bad. Don't give any reinforcement to the negative behaviours.

As for potty training, be sure to take her outside on a regular schedule: when she wakes up, after she eats, after a play session, etc. Aim for every 2-3 hours, depending on her age. When she goes outside praise her like crazy and give her a treat. Be sure to wait out there long enough for her to go....it can take a while but it's vital that you stay put with her until she does something. Patience is key.

Most important is basic obedience classes! This will definately help you learn to deal with negative behaviour and ensure she is well-socialized.

Another thing you can get started with right away is NILF Training (Nothing In Life Is Free). Through this, she will learn that she needs to work to earn all the good stuff - pets, walks, meals, treats, etc. It will help to make sure she doesn't grow up thinking she runs the house. Here's a good article explaining the basics of NILF:

http://www.terrificpets.com/articles/102212265.asp

Good luck!
Kailey (Misunderstood Gentle Beauty) - GSD & foster failure #1
Rupert (Gold-Medal Winner of the 3 a.m. Kitty Destruction Olympics )

Heidi - RIP my sweet baby girl
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:03 AM

Question my puppy

she will be 4 months old on july 5th. we do praise her good behavior and tell her no with the bad behavior. we are trying to train her to go to the door when she has to go to the bathroom. sometimes it works and most times it doesn't. we can take her out and run her in the yard to go potty and when we bring her in five minutes later she will pee in the house.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

4 months is still pretty little...most dogs aren't really reliable with housetraining until 6 months of age.

What's most important is redirecting your dog when it misbehaves. Telling her no is important, but then be sure to show her exactly what is expected of her. She won't know how to behave better unless you teach her.

This can all take time. Try to be patient, and consistent!

Old June 26th, 2009, 09:13 AM

Unhappy my puppy

ok i will try it. it is just so frustrating. i don't remember any of our other dogs being this hard to train. what about paper training? people keep telling me not to because that is all she will do is go on the paper and not outside.
Old June 26th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Now I'm Mrs. Chaser!

I would peronally avoid using puppy pads/papers. It would only cause confusion at this point really. And the one time I tried it with my puppy out of desperation he just ate them!

Just try to be really consistent and patient....you just need to wait her out, even if she's being stubborn/distracted. Keep telling her to "Go potty" (or whatever you want to use) and wait until she does. Make a HUGE deal out of it everytime she goes.

She'll get it eventually, don't worry! Some pups are harder than others.

Old June 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

welcome sheba6969...you got some great advice already..but I wonder do you crate your puppy? you could also shorten the time you are waiting to take her outside and make sure to make it fun and praise him.her.

most pups can show some signs but mine was tough also...he had a slight lift in his tail upward and his nose would start looking.

it can be frustrating but please understand they are still just babies at that young age!

any pics ? would love to see some!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old June 26th, 2009, 10:35 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

Definitely make sure you are cleaning any accident spots in the house with an enzyme cleaner to get rid of the smell. Nature's Miracle is a good one and I think there is a thread with a recipe for a homemade cleaner. If the smell is there, it will entice her to use that spot again and again.

If she goes potty outside, and then comes in and does it again - you may need to have her checked for a urinary tract infection, or if she consistently does this (and no medical problem exists) then maybe you aren't giving her enough time to be completely done when she's outside.

I taught the newfs not to jump (cuz they'll squish most folks...lol) by putting my hand out in a 'stop' motion, saying 'OFF' and I turn my hip towards them to block the jump. They'll only jump on you now if you invite them to (which I don't encourage people to do).
Old June 26th, 2009, 11:31 AM
Geek Club CEO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheba6969 View Post
ok i will try it. it is just so frustrating. i don't remember any of our other dogs being this hard to train. what about paper training? people keep telling me not to because that is all she will do is go on the paper and not outside.
yeah, stay away from paper training...it's not so bad now but imagine when she's full-grown! It'll be a puddle not a piddle!!! Consistency and patience will make this work. Are you using a crate? Do you keep the pup on leash at your side during the day while you're home so you can monitor her behaviour?

We've had very different luck with our two pups...Jaida was pretty much flawlessly housetrained at 5 months, and Heidi was closer to 11 months before we could let her out of the crate during the day
Jaida - GSD - tripod trainwreck and gentle soul (4)
Heidi - mugsly Boston Terrier X - she is in BIG trouble!!! (3)
Audrey - torbie - sweet as pie (11 months)
Patrick - blue - a little turd (but we like him anyways) (6 months)
Old July 5th, 2009, 08:05 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Welcome to the forum.

You have gotten really good advice. I haven't trained a dog in many years and she was half trained when I got her from the HS..so I forgotten so I can't help u with that. But I would love to see pics of your puppy!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)