Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 24th, 2009, 03:12 PM

Please help, cat attacks and bites own tail

My 1yr old male cat behaves very strangely. About two months ago, the cat started attacking and biting his own tail quite often. This behaviour occurs now about 50-80% of the time that he spends awake. He usually goes to the center of the room, he would lie on the floor and then his tail would start to jerk and hit the floor up and down. Next, he tries to catch the tail and then he grabs it and bites it; this is often accompanied by loud, violent noises which seem to be the result of his frustration of not being able to catch and hold on to his tail. When I try to pet him while he is engaging in this biting behaviour, the cat is overly aggressive and in a high level of attack mode where he bites and scratches quite severely. Also important to mention is that when I try to distract this behaviour by playing with him and throwing a toy, he would stop, as if forgetting about his tail for a while, and would concentrate on the toy and would chase it. However, when I stop playing with him, he usually returns to biting his tail again. In addition, I can pet him or his tail when he is relaxed or after sleeping and he is not bothered a bit by it.

I went to a veterinarian last week and showed him the video of his tail biting, which Iím attaching a link here. The veterinarian checked him for fleas and ruled it out. Everything else is normal too. He also shaved a small portion of his tail to discover small scab wounds (from his biting). He described the behaviour as a form of self-mutilation and said it is quite serious.

He prescribed him medications: Prednisone 5mg, but expressed that it is not likely to help. He said that if it doesnít help, then we should try Gabatropin which could calm him down. He could not pinpoint the exact reason or the source of my catís problem. It can either be something physical (perhaps pain, itching, or some allergies that are bothering him) or behavioural. After giving him Prednisone for a week, I cannot see any improvement in this behaviour.

From doing some online research, it might be OCD or Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome, however the cat does not over groom himself, nor seem to have rippling skin and racing which accompany the syndrome. He also does not engage in any other repetitive behaviour. The veterinarian was not sure if those conditions are what the cat has.

I really do not know what to do; his behaviour is not improving and he still bites his tail. It is terrible to see him suffer like that. It is becoming difficult to constantly be around him to distract his tail biting and I am not sure what provokes this behaviour.
If someone has any insight into this condition or any ideas, I would sincerely appreciate it.
The cat is neutered and received all the necessary shots.

I am attaching a link to a video posted o n YouTube that I took of my cat while he was engaging in this behaviour:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyiMOwN5jj0
Old June 25th, 2009, 03:07 AM

As with other diseases or conditions not all cats with Feline Hyperesthesia Syndrome will show all symptoms.

http://www.cathealth.com/hyperesthesia.htm

Have you had a full complete blood panel done to rule out underlying conditions?

Have you considered a neurological exam?

Would you consider a Homeopath Vet visit? Conventional vets treat conditions with immune system suppressing drugs that cover up the issue and do not cure it. Homeopathic Vets work to discover the root causes of conditions and treat with homeopathic remedies to correct imbalances and restore health without harmful chemicals.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying

Vindication ~ For all those pets who became sick or lost their lives from tainted pet food
Old July 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM

bounty ,

One of my cats did this same thing only worse / she would attack her tail unitl it would bleed when she got in that mode nothing would stop her. It got so bad that she had to have 2 partail tail amputions from the damge she did to it . It last 2 years with us trying every thing from prosac to nereve pain meds with no hope an mri and about $10thousand dollars in late night emergecy vet visits. She was living with a bandge on her tail to stop it. I hope now to give you some good news you can disucss with ur vet to try .

I sent my video to a Dr dodman who is a cat expert look him up he was written many books . This man saved my cat and us to , he suggested we give her keppra at 0.3ml a few times a day . It is something used for focal seizures wich if u look up will be almost exactly what feline hyperista would look like / Since i have given my cat this it has totaly stopped no issues now over a year . The thinking is that most cats that do this have focal sezuires wich is a type that even peole can get. One of the things my cat would always do is stare in to space and would always bang the tail on the floor before attacking it . I want to stress that my cat didnt just playful bite her tail but would attack it to the point that she would take it off if u did not stop her . My cuurent meds that are working wonders are the keppra and clomicalm at 10 mg a day . The colmiacm hepls keep the brain mellow if u like u can im me and ill give u my number to call / to talk moere
Old July 2nd, 2009, 09:04 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

There are so many different possibilities. From stress to allergies to medical disorders. A full health panel being done may help you find out what is going on. I have a coworker who has a cat who was absolutely mutilating her tail. She has been put on a mild traquilizer and seems to be doing much better.

This is an article that may shed some answers. Give it a good read.
http://www.justanswer.com/questions/...own-tail-until

What are you feeding your cat? Did you recently change his diet? Have there been any major changes in the cat's life? Even minor changes. A new baby. A move. Even a change of furniture is enough to set some cats off. Are there cats outside he can see that could be stressing him? All possibilities. Without an indepth look at all aspects of your cat's life it is next to impossible to figure out what is going on.

Good luck.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 2nd, 2009, 11:23 PM
Catlover2

Sounds like some irritation in the tail itself, nerve damage perhaps? Cats had tailed stepped on? I had Manx (tailless) cats for many years, and never had this sort of problem with cats biting at their back end.