Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old June 17th, 2009, 04:17 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh please do steal the idea! I think it would be great for anyone who is feeding babies like these I like this method better than tube feeding, since I've never tubbed a baby and would be very very very nervous about it
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:53 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

First Bath Time!

Thought I'd share pics of their first bath time

Diva screamed the entire time, Ozzy loved it Ozzy even drank a bit on his own Thank goodness! I was a bit worried about them developing properly, but insticnt kicks in when it's needed
Attached Images

Old June 17th, 2009, 06:55 PM
Senior Contributor

should they be having a bath at their age?? usually they are still in the nest under mom during rainstorms.......Im not an expert by any means mind you, I was just wondering?
Old June 17th, 2009, 07:04 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

According to a thread at Pigeon Talk, it's ok as long as it's supervised and they are well dried afterwards. They weren't in too long, maybe 2 minutes? I wrapped them in a towel and held them until they dried (a few mins). They are after their bath and are in wonderful spirits now (and fluffy!).
Old June 18th, 2009, 07:11 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Pics from today First and Second are Diva, showing off her diva attitude, lol! no matter what happens during the day, she has this same "OMGWTF!" reaction, lol. Last is Ozzy, showing off how large he is now, fitting nicely in my hand. He's so cool about it, calms down and just snuggles with me
Attached Images

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:15 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Last two of Ozzy, showing off his beautiful feathers and while eating. Last is Baby, and the look I get when I am feeding or playing with the birds, lol!
Attached Images

Old June 18th, 2009, 07:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Baby's look is precious! That's one of those, "Your kidding, right?" looks.

The little ones are looking great.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

http://nuriaandthegang.shutterfly.com/
Old June 18th, 2009, 08:31 PM
You can call me DOG!

Baby's expressions look like..."OH GREAT--THAT'S JUST GREAT!"

Like I said earlier--this has been a great thread Twintails. Please keep the pictures coming.

I've beening meaning to ask--once the little guys are old enough to fly and be "big birds" , what's next.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/14/2004 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)
Old June 18th, 2009, 09:32 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh Yes! Baby sure has that expression often

They will be staying with us. They trust people and don't have that natural fear of things (cats, people, predators, etc). They also don't know basic pigeon skills that would have been taught by their parents. Sooo, I'm looking for a large bird cage, and will be making some birdie diapers (so they can walk around the apartment without pooping everywhere, lol). I will also clip their wings (for their safety), as we don't have screens on our windows nor the patio door (and I know there is always a chance/risk). They will have free time in the spare room (my craft room), and will be supervised while out of the cage (5 cats all but one raised around birds).
Old June 19th, 2009, 06:33 AM
Senior Contributor

*L* Baby looks like she's saying "thats it mommy, get them nice and fat for the roasting pan" ..........

well thats great about the bath then, I was more curious then anything. They sure are growing!!!
Old June 19th, 2009, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinTails View Post
Oh Yes! Baby sure has that expression often

They will be staying with us. They trust people and don't have that natural fear of things (cats, people, predators, etc). They also don't know basic pigeon skills that would have been taught by their parents. Sooo, I'm looking for a large bird cage, and will be making some birdie diapers (so they can walk around the apartment without pooping everywhere, lol). I will also clip their wings (for their safety), as we don't have screens on our windows nor the patio door (and I know there is always a chance/risk). They will have free time in the spare room (my craft room), and will be supervised while out of the cage (5 cats all but one raised around birds).
I was meaning to ask if you were keeping them. Since you are raising them, it's true they will not know many things their momma would have taught them. They'd probably starve if you let them go.
There are only two rules at my house: House rule #1. Cats rule. House rule #2. See rule #1.

Old June 19th, 2009, 07:34 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Wow, they sure are growing at an amazing rate! Keep up the wonderful job!!

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:37 AM
Senior Contributor

they actually won't starve, nature takes over and when hand raising you should always have two of whatever species it is so they don't forget what they are, sounds silly but true.
Old June 19th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Senior Contributor

I just wanted to say that you are one amazing person. I think what you are doing is so selfless and one heck of a great gesture in helping them.

WoW I am really amazed!
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Skylar's Farm

Be prepared to be "Mommy" to these pigeons for a very long time. Some species bond very quickly with their humans who feed them.
Previous squabs that I raised were in pairs so that was a bit easier in making the transition to living outdoors, but they spent alot of the day on the roof of my porch wondering why Mommy was hiding on them.

My most recent squab, Junior, was raised alone. I paid particular attention to not playing with him and not spending alot of time feeding him. He was tube fed 4 times a day and I kept him out of my view all day. I really didn't need another imprinted pigeon.
Anyway, gradually I reduced the number of feedings and threw seeds on the bathroom floor. Then I made tapping and pecking indications with my fingers and he followed my fingers to the seeds. He was so hungry and mad at me.....but it worked.
He graduated to a wire aviary outdoors, and was let out during the daytime.
Junior followed me everywhere!

One day I left him in the tree and I went to the corner store, when I came back he was gone.
I was freaking out....we looked everywhere, calling, calling, and no bird.
For the next couple of days, we continued to look. I felt so bad.
Well finally I saw him at the neighbour's. He had been there knocking on their patio door, and sitting on the guys head whenever he went outside.
Junior was so glad to see me, he was pecking pecking pecking......I'm hungry.
WE had him for years and finally gave him to a friend of mine so that their daughter could have a pet on the farm.
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Bina,that's a great story.
TT,I actually thought you were going to release them,but then I don't know much about hand-fed Pigeons,or how they would do after being brought up by humans.
You are doing a great job
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
Skylar's Farm

I should also mention that Junior, who we raised as a single bird, seemed to be a male, and as an adult he could get quite aggressive with his beak and pecking on our hands and arms. I used to clean his cage while wearing suede work gloves.
Old June 19th, 2009, 03:55 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thanks everyone =) I talked with hubby and we are deffinitely keeping them. We weighed the pros and cons, and talked about the possibility of them becoming food (we are surrounded by Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, Hawks, Vultures, Seagulls, cats, wildcats, etc). Not to mention the people who kill pigeons thinking they are pests :sad: So, I am looking for a nice large cage for them, so they will have room to move about when they are not having run of the room (when we had cockatiels previously, they were free-roaming most of the day - the cats kept them contained in 'their' room, lol).

I've noticed now when I feed them, they are looking at my hands, and want to eat through my fingers. Before they would just attack the bottle, but now they are looking to me for food, no longer the bottle.

I also weighed them after feeding this morning - Diva was 180G and Ozzy was 220G They are getting big! I am heating up lunch right now =)

Bina, I am hoping they both won't be too aggressive, but if they are we will do what you did and wear heavy gloves. I've actually never ever had any problems with pigeons before - they seem to love me and always flock to me wherever I go I am hoping that they will be a lovely pair of pets =D

Alrighty, more pics! Feeding this morning, Diva looking better and better every day (more feathers popping out). Ozzy being the coolest piji in the world (yes I am biased, hehe), and showing off the feathers on his legs. Lastly is the two of them, after feeding, chilling in the nest (guess which is Diva, lol). You can see how much they poop! Thankfully it's out of the nest, so they are not sitting in poopers
Attached Images

Old June 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh, I forgot to ask - does anyone by chance have 2 leg bands that I could buy? I don't need 25 or 100, just two I want to add my name/number/etc in case they get out (I'd rather people call me if they find them, instead of taking them to the SPCA or whatever).
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:09 PM
Senior Contributor

Leg-Bands are a great idea,
I had a white Pigeon here once with a leg-band and I knew she did not belong with my wild Pigeons.
Then one evening a young man came over after having seen her in my tree.
He had a Pigeon-Coop,with imported Pigeons from Pakistan,he was Pakistany himself.
He told me,his Pigeons are the only Pigeons that can fly so high up in the sky,you can hardly see them.
He took me up to his coop,showed me all his beautiful Pigeons,it was very interesting.
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Oh yes! That's exactly why I want to band them I would love to learn from other pigeon keepers. I actually found one guy in town, however, I'd rather email than phone (and it's only his phone online). So, I will keep looking, maybe I can find someone else nearby who I can learn from
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Senior Contributor

This young man would let the Pigeons fly,but usually only up to a wire.
He had some sort of clip he put on the wings of those he wanted to stay put.
No,it was not cruel,this man really loved his Pigeons.
Unfortunately he has since moved,otherwise he would be a great person to talk to.
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:35 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

I think that clipping the wings is humane, especially if it's for their own safety I hope to find someone to learn from I did ask for help on a pigeon forum, but they are, erm, snooty to newbies? :sad: Oh well, lol!
Old June 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM
Pumpkin' Dumplin' Gang

LOL.....choked on my coffee when I saw Baby's face.....priceless!!!

The little birdies are so cute, and it's so wonderful what you are doing for them.
3+ cats......Surround sound
Old June 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

Thank you DCH!
Old June 19th, 2009, 08:16 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

So it's official, the babies are eating solids! They both got their first feeding of peas and corn Diva cried histerics but ate them, Ozzy figured it out quickly and was enjoying himself We'll finish of the formula tonight and over tomorrow, then they will have veggies only. Next week I will be picking up a big bag of seed mix, and will get them started on that I'm so proud
Old June 19th, 2009, 11:41 PM
Animals Are My Life <3

A few more pics I cuddled with the babies while watching House Bunny (Diva was annoyed, Ozzy enjoyed the movements, lol). They ate some corn and peas while watching. First pic is before foods, second is after foods. Third is Diva showing how I feed the veggies - she tried to 'eat' through my fingers (like they would their bio-parents' beaks), and I pop a corn or pea in. She swallows and asks for more. They both told me when they had enough, didn't want any more. Just cuddles and then back to bed (where their heat lamp is).

Does anyone know until what age they should have a heat source (I know they need it for digestion)? I will probably keep it going for a while. Especially during the cooler months, as our place can get cold.

Anyways, enjoy the photos!
Attached Images

Old June 20th, 2009, 02:33 AM
Senior Contributor

Wow, it's amazing how much they've changed in a few days.

Old June 20th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Senior Contributor

TT,it must be a great feeling taking care of these little guys,I am sorry I cannot advice you on anything.
The only thing I know about Pigeons is from watching the 30 something that come to my feeders.
We buy big 25 kilo bags of kernel corn for ours +the big bags of good birdseeds.
I know you can buy specialized Pigeon-Feed but it's not much different from what I buy already and much more expensive.
After all we feed a whole bunch of other birds too.
Old June 20th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Skylar's Farm

I think it's still a bit early to be changing to feeding seed only, but I used to buy a big bag of seed mix specifically for Doves. It doesn't have those big kernels of corn and sunflower seeds which could choke the youngsters. Most feed dealers or suppliers of wild bird seed will have it or can order it for you.