Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Gardening

Old June 4th, 2009, 07:37 PM
You can call me DOG!

Angry Wild Morning Glory/Bindweed

I have had this STUPID wild morning glory in my one flower bed for a couple years now!! It has completely taken over all the beautiful flowers that have grown there for many years. I recently "googled" it and found that bindweed has roots that will travel in excess of 40 feet!

I also found that if you paint either round-up or killex on the leaves (once a week with a small brush) that eventually it will seep down into the roots and exhaust it. I have done this for about a month now and it has helped somewhat.

Does anyone here know other methods of ridding this strangling obnoxious weed? Here are a couple pictures.

Name:  101_1175.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  95.6 KB

Name:  101_1176.jpg
Views: 505
Size:  51.5 KB

Last year, I tried to lay down landscaping fabric and mounded on mulch but that only smothered/killed my spring time perennials.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10-14-2004 (English Springer Spaniel)
Mollie: 6-2-2009 (English Setter)
Bella: LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:57 PM
Garden nut

There are a few options

Catch them when they are young. Pull and keep pulling. Eventually you will weaken them.

Heavily mulch in the fall with manure and straw, or leaf mold if you have it. (Leaf mold is just composted tree leaves, which takes a bit longer than regular compost.) If you starve the bindweed of light then it doesn't stand a chance. Plus the rest of your garden will thank you for all the nice moisture retention and nutrients!

Alternately you can pull up all your perennials and put them into a new bed while you sun-sterilize the soil with black plastic for a year.

Or remove the top soil and replace with new and mulch.

Space your plants according to their max maturity size so they overlap any exposed soil and shade out opportunities for any new weeds.
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old June 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
You can call me DOG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CearaQC View Post
There are a few options

Catch them when they are young. Pull and keep pulling. Eventually you will weaken them.

I've been doing this for two years and it ended up multiplying times a 1000! Then I read that the more you try to pull them out, it divides the roots and grows more.

Heavily mulch in the fall with manure and straw, or leaf mold if you have it. (Leaf mold is just composted tree leaves, which takes a bit longer than regular compost.)

I haven't tried the heavy mulch in the fall. Note to self

If you starve the bindweed of light then it doesn't stand a chance. I tried to starve it with landscaping fabric and mulch last summer--bad time I guess? Plus the rest of your garden will thank you for all the nice moisture retention and nutrients!

Alternately you can pull up all your perennials and put them into a new bed while you sun-sterilize the soil with black plastic for a year. Ho hum...last resort. :sad:
Or remove the top soil and replace with new and mulch.

Space your plants according to their max maturity size so they overlap any exposed soil and shade out opportunities for any new weeds.
Thank you very much CearaQC for the advise. I think I'll try the fall mulch next but should I try taking up the landscaping fabric before doing this?

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10-14-2004 (English Springer Spaniel)
Mollie: 6-2-2009 (English Setter)
Bella: LHD Cat adopted by/from Child